The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1
marine6680

Mossberg 500 models

So many models with a wide range of prices... And shotguns are not my area.

So what is the difference to make such a large gap with models that are outwardly similar?

I seen a basic model 500 with wood stock going for $280, and another version that seems similar but with synthetic stock that cost $400.

The special dipped camo ones are a little more and I get that. They are usually set up specialized for certain things.

It just seems the prices vary wildly for a shotgun that seems like basically the same model with stock variations, maybe a ribbed or non barrel... Minus the camo dip, is there a big difference is finish, fit, what?

In the end... I am looking for a basic 12ga for my fiancé. Something she can shoot clays with informally on occasion, and won't break the bank. It will not be used often. She is comfortable with a 12ga if it has a good butt pad. We was looking at semis and 20ga, but adding a butt pad to my 12ga pump made it shootable for her.

I was looking at the field/camp model with 2 barrels. My current closet gun is my old Winchester pump, its a bit long for that, and having a short barrel option would be nice.

So, some insight would be nice. Any suggestions for a good shotgun for her outside of the 500 would be welcome as well.

Thanks
Old April 20, 2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Wyosmith

Well the 500 is a very reliable gun. There are so many options available from Mossburg she's probably going to have to spend some time with a catalog and some coffee and make her decisions.

As I am sure you are aware, the 500 is one of the guns the Marine Corps bough in large numbers. In the last shotgun trial the USMC held the M-590 came in 1st place. The 590 is a 500 with metal parts instead of plastic, but the action is the same.

Back when I was in the Corps we had a hodge-podge of shotguns in the armories. We hade Ithicas (which were outstanding) Remington 870s, a few High Standards, and a few old Winchester M12s. I was told that the M-12 were leftovers from WW2. I can’t say if that’s correct info or not, but they sure were old looking. Of them all the HS and the Remingtons were the only ones that I can remember some of the Marines complaining about now and then.

The Armorer told me he’s replaced the firing pins in the M-12 and a few had their extractors replaced at one time or another.

The Mossburgs were not adopted then.
I also remember how some of the old Salts in the early 70s talked the Mossburgs down.

In the 80s when the USMC had its new shotgun trial they were all shocked when the Mossburg beat all others. The only other shotgun that did as well was the Ithica 37 and it was not an option because the company in New York was on the rocks.

Well enough rambling.

All in all I’d say to look at 3 guns. The Browning BPS, the Ithica 37 and the Mossburg 500
The Mossburg is going to probably be the one you choose because of price. All are very good guns but the Mossburg can often be had for about ½ the price of an Ithica or a Browning.
Old April 21, 2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Targa

I love the Mossberg, my only complaint is breaking it down to for a good cleaning compared to my Remington 870.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:26 PM   #4
marine6680

I will probably get the standard 500.
Old April 21, 2014, 11:46 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

I have basic wood and blue Model 500 A with modified choke 28" bbl from early 60s. It is perfectly fine for informal clay busting and all around hunting, though probably most at home with pheasant.

I would only buy some upgraded version if you knew what the purpose was and needed or wanted it.

I did buy a new Mossberg 500 Mariner 18" bbl for defense at home and camping.
Old April 22, 2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Ohio Shootist

The basic 500 is about the plainest wood/blued gun there is. If you are within driving distance of a Cabela's, you can get a much nicer-looking 500 for just a few bucks more than the Walmart version. For $300-350, it is an unbeatable value.
Old April 22, 2014, 10:59 AM   #7
g.willikers

Looks?
Good Looking?
Shotguns are supposed to look good?
Now you tell me.
Old April 22, 2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Colt46

The Flex factor

500's now can be had with a modular stock and forend system that allows you to swap these out for other configurations in just a few seconds. That option increases the price over a basic model pretty significantly. I've got the new Flex and have two more days until I can pick it up. Can't wait to save up the money for aftermarket goods.
Old April 22, 2014, 12:04 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

Yes not only should they look good, they should handle well too.

The weight between your hands not muzzle heavy or too much weight in the butt stock.
The old rule of thumb is 96 times the weight of the shot charge, but there are some shooters that like heavier guns since the recoil is reduced.

There is nothing in the world like a very nice piece of walnut on a nice gun.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; April 22, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old April 22, 2014, 04:42 PM   #10
Waspinator

As far as Mossberg 500's go there are a few things to look for.

Forends:

Some of the lower cost Mossberg 500's now come with a "pinned" forend instead of the more robust slide-tube assembly. What this means is, there is no slide tube assembly underneath the forend, instead the action bars are pinned to the plastic forend. This is a lower cost solution , that while functional, is less robust as the normal steel tube. Also, with a pinned forend, you can not change out the forend (for comfort) without buying a tube-assembly. So, my advice would be to look for models that have the standard steel slide-tube assembly under the forend. Problem is, Mossberg's website doesn't really show accurately which model has which forend in the representative pictures. It would be better to see one with your own eyes to determine if the tube is present .

Barrels:

If you are just getting a shotgun for defense purposes, then you'll want a 18" smooth bore anyway.. so if so, skip this part. If you plan on using chokes, make sure the model you are looking at has the option to remove/replace/adjust the chokes. Some Mossbergs come with fixed chokes.. so pay attention to that. It would not be fun to find out after the fact that you have a fixed choke barrel when you were counting on the ability to change/adjust the choke for different patterning choices.

Round count:

They have 6 shot or 8 shot models. I think the better buy is the 6-shot models only for the reason that there is many more barrel choices for that configuration of the 500. So, if in the future you think you might buy more barrels for task specific applications, then you might want to keep that in mind.

Finish:

A lot of the Mossberg 500 shotguns now come in a matte finish (or matte blue). It is my opinion that this finish is sub-par to the standard blue finish. The matte finish looks akin to a flat black primer , scratches easily and is more prone to rust. I would opt for a blue or gloss blue finish. Trust me, I bought a matte finished 500 and if I could go back in time, I would defiantly change the decision (only thing I would change, in fact).You can always buy a new tube assembly if you ended up with a pinned forend verion and wanted to upgrade. You can always buy a new barrel if you find you want something different. But, it is not easy to change the finish of the gun.. something to think about. I also find that you are more apt to get a tube assembly (like mentioned first in this post) in one of the standard blue or gloss blue models. I find the pinned forend more in the matte finished models.

Those are some main things to look for/ pay attention too in my opinion when it comes to navigating Mossberg's many different models.

On a side note.. love my 500

Last edited by Waspinator; April 22, 2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old April 22, 2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Wyosmith

I love the Mossberg, my only complaint is breaking it down to for a good cleaning compared to my Remington 870.

Gunsmiths answer;
PM me. I'll talk you through it. It's actually far easier then the 870.
Maybe you just need a friendly time of instruction.
The 500 is the easiest pump gun I know of to take down.
Old April 22, 2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Blindstitch

I could only wonder how he's breaking down the 500 to make it hard. It only has 2 pins and a barrel screw.

If it were me and I didn't need a brand new 500 I would check out a site like armslist. I have seen them as low as $150 or even the old coast to coast models.

I've had my 500 for 15 years now and used a coast to coast model before that and both are flawlessly great shooters that don't mind being used hard in the field.
Old April 22, 2014, 08:12 PM   #13
marine6680

I will see what Cabelas has... A local gun shop has a basic model 500 with wood stock for less than $300. I still want to find a combo model with two barrels.
Old April 22, 2014, 08:27 PM   #14
Wyosmith

Marine, you can get the short barrel from Brownells for not much $. So if you were to buy the 28" bird gun and then the extra barrel you'll have what you are looking for.
Pretty easy.
Old April 22, 2014, 08:41 PM   #15
Targa

In a nutshell on the 500, forgive me I don't have one here but from what I remember on disassembly I removed the magazine cap to remove the barrel, punched the pins to remove the trigger group, if I am remembering right then I removed the cartridge interrupter? I might be wrong about that, like I said its been a while, then removed the bolt slide, then the slide itself, then the bolt, then I removed the elevator? Again, not certain on this. This is the Thunder Ranch model, I wouldn't imagine that makes a difference but I thought I would put it out there.

With my 870 I removed the magazine cap to remove the barrel, then removed the slide and the bolt slide and bolt came out with the slide. Wyosmith if you can make it easier for me I would certainly appreciate any help. Thanks, Darrin.
Old April 22, 2014, 08:46 PM   #16
Blindstitch

Here's a 6 minute video on how to take apart and reassemble.

http://youtu.be/oKbWcPdTRBI
Old April 22, 2014, 11:13 PM   #17
marine6680

I found a combo online for $340... I can get the 500 and then a barrel, it will just cost a little extra.
Old April 23, 2014, 12:37 AM   #18
ZVP

he 500's have been made for a long time and for many distributers such as Wards, Western Auto Stores etc.
Mine is a ModelM550AD badged for sale byWards (before serial #'s!).
Mine is a Pawn Shop purchase, bought with the full intentt on chopping the BBL and making sure of reliable function as a HD Shotgun.
Counting the shell holder, slip on Recoil Pad and the gun, I maybe have $140 in it. I
m sure mine was a hunting gun as the shell interupter I think?) only hods 3 sshells , then double feeds (wprn Part)
Mine is an older gun, one with the single slide bar, making the pump foreend tend to twist s little. Dosen't seem to hurt function, just dosen't feel as solid as a new 500.
I cut the BBL to 19 1/2" to stay well within legal length.
If I only lod 3, it fires like a semi-auto, Once I replace the worn part, I'm sure she'll carry the full magazine of 6.
Nothing extra. no lights, acessory rails or slings to snag on things. I didn't loose much weight chopping the barrel and there seems to be no increase in Muzzle blast or recoil!
The barrel is cylinder bore now, and can handle Slugs or Buckshot.
I hope it remains a neat toy to play with and it never needs to be pressed into real service! At least it's ready!
ZVP
Old April 23, 2014, 09:06 PM   #19
BigBL87

If its just for informal clays, the plain Jane basic model would suffice. I personally paid $375 total and got a combo with an 18.5" HD barrel and a 28" vent rib for clays. It came with a pistol grip as well which I sold and made $20 back.