The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 6, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

EOTech Thermal/Nightvision scope

I have a guy wants to trade my Jeep for this scope

http://www.ondutygear.com/control/pr...ECH-CQB-001-A7

I have never looked into high end scopes before.

What do I need to know about it? Just general education would be nice. Are they easy to resell? What kind of guns do they go on? Doesnt like like they magnify much or at all.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
alex0535

It would probably be hard to find someone willing to shell out 10-18 thousand dollars for a scope depending on resale value, but you might be able to trade it for material things like a jeep or guns to someone that really wants one.

From what I understand it has 2x magnification and you can mount it in front of a red dot or rifle scope or it can be used as a standalone optic.

Can see a moving person's body heat at 500 yards and stationary at 600. You can recognize a human face at 25 yards. Battery is supposed to last 8 hours. Military grade thermal optic.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Keepin_Jeepin

Kind of what I figured on resale. If this guys is a military issue is it legal to own or sell? He told me where he was stationed so I know he is in the military.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:32 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

I would advise you to use the scope before buying it, to make sure it will do what you want. The SU-232/PAS isn't a "night vision" device like you may be used to. Rather than operating in the near-infrared (0.7-0.9 micron) range like most NVGs, it operates in the longer 7-14 micron wavelengths. Good for detecting body heat, but not as good for using moonlight/starlight to illuminate your surroundings.

Here's a picture taken through the SU-232/PAS:

Old February 6, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
alex0535

On the EOTech website I found this:

"*This product is controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) USML Category 1(f), and may not be exported to a Foreign Person, either in the U.S. or abroad, without a license or exemption from the U.S. Department of State."

So it should be fine to own if you are a United States citizen and do not sell it to a foreigner.

Another thing I saw that I didn't mention is that it is apparently waterproof to waterproof to 66 feet.