The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Xrayist

Why does this seem like a rip off?

I have always wanted a Thompson, but have come to the conclusion that I just don't want to put that much money into a firearm. So, that being said, I thought about one of the Kahr Arms SBR 1928 Thompsons. Now the "rip off" part, or at least IMHO it is....the retail of the SBR is approx. $700 more than the non-SBR model. Let me see here, only difference is that the barrel is 6" shorter...same manufacturing process, same everything else. So does that mean that the 10" barrel that is still available should actually cost $700?
So I think I will get one of the full length ones, buy a new barrel from Kahr and fill out the paperwork to make my own...save several hundred dollars in the process!
Old May 14, 2010, 09:54 PM   #2
David Hineline

You also have to ugly up your gun with name,city,state since you will be the maker. So rather than buying a gun with increased value, you will end up with a lower cost gun with extra lowered value, because it was made by Billy Joe Bob, nowhere, nevada.

The paperwork involved in dealing with NFA is massive, and higher price is needed to justify the cost of making limited production guns compared to the normal product line.

Just be glad that in 1934 when the registration tax cost more than the guns did that people valued firearms ownership enough to pay the money otherwise we would have no Tommy Guns today at all.