The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2015, 07:07 PM   #1
mehavey

1861 Pedersoli/Springfield Trial....

For ages I'd shot an original `63 Colt Special Model Springfield in N-SSA competition. It had a sweetheart of a lock (as most originals do) and never failed me. On a long-standing whim, I picked up a Pedersoli `61 reproduction this week to give the old girl a well-deserved rest.

The Pedersoli's fit and finish were excellent. The lock/trigger wasn't as crisp as the Colt, but I knew that was going to require work/break-in from the start.

But I got it out of the box; used Kroil to dissolve/clean out the black rust preventive goo in the barrel; wiped the rest down w/ a dry cloth; dug deep into old stuff down in the basement to find my stash of Lyman thin-skirt Minnies cast back in `85; even deeper to come up w/ my even older stash of RWS musket caps; loaded up a half-dozen of my old standard of ~60gr 2Fg/GoEX under the Minnie dipped in 3:1 Crisco/Beeswax in a red plastic valve-cap "cartridge" ... and headed out....

Not bad for a simple point-of-aim-out-of-the-box test:

Last edited by mehavey; June 22, 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old June 22, 2015, 07:31 PM   #2
Pahoo

Hey, It's a Pedersoli !!!

The Pedersoli's are another manufacturer that I can't say anything bad about. I have had the pleasure of owning a few and the quality speaks for itself. ...

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 25, 2015, 08:15 PM   #3
mehavey

I've ordered up some blank aperture leaf[s] for these old tired eyes from Lodgewood
http://www.lodgewood.com/L-Leaf-Peep...eep_p_895.html
...but ran a 100Yd bench test just to see how much drop I'd have to accommodate on the second 100Yd leaf.

Same sight/sight picture used on 50Yd trials at standard 4ΒΌ clay pigeons:

Good2Go... basically 2 moa below dead POA (total 4 moa down from 50Yd impact.
(quality product)