The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 31, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
glock4epton

Never know whos there...

Just never know what kind of surprise is waiting for you when the doorbell rings at night. Guess its best to be extra careful when an unannounced visitor rings the bell at an odd time...So sad..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/31...est=latestnews
Old March 31, 2011, 09:56 PM   #2
eqlzr

I have a shuttered (inside) window that gives me a sideways view out onto my front porch. I have a small heavy beveled leaded glass window at the very top of my heavy-duty front door which has two deadbolt locks on it. We live very close to a major thoroughfare in a "bohemian" neighborhood in a large city in CA, and there are often alerts from local police regarding some scammers or ne'er-do-wells making their way around the neighborhood trying to pull off some shenanigans. Nobody gets in my front door unless I know them and can clearly ID them in advance. The rest, I either ignore (usually they are some scruffy looking younger people with clipboards or boxes of stuff in their hands), or if they are clearly in some distress I may talk to them through the door without opening it.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
lamarw

I have two large dogs, and the door bell never rings. One is a bird dog which keeps me awake all day, and the other is a coon hound which keeps me awake all night. Of course, I don't have a full time neighbor within ten miles. (very slight exageration)

With the lack of sleep I am very angry all the time. I would not open the door at night without a pistol or shotgun at the ready.

All my family have my phone number.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Hiker 1

Very sad. Sounds like he may have been targeted.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Rob228

Quote:
I have two large dogs, and the door bell never rings. One is a bird dog which keeps me awake all day, and the other is a coon hound which keeps me awake all night. Of course, I don't have a full time neighbor within ten miles. (very slight exageration)
I have two Cattle dogs that do about the same. One is deaf and spends most of the time asleep, but the other one patrols the apartment from front to rear several times per hour. She will look out any window that she can, smell the front and rear doors and ensure that both my wife and I are safe and paying attention to her. No one gets within ten feet of either door without setting her off. I've even woken up at night to find her pacing between the doors. Dogs do make you sleep better, when they are not keeping you awake.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:54 PM   #6
jibberjabber

The days of opening a door for a stranger are gone for many of us.
Old March 31, 2011, 11:54 PM   #7
SIGSHR

Sounds like a hit. I have a peephole in the front door of my apartment, if I had my own house I would probably have an intercom, plus a floodlight I could control from inside.
Old April 1, 2011, 04:51 AM   #8
ClayInTx

For those of us not paranoid...

but know they’re out to get us:

A peephole in the door is a dangerous thing because although your door might be armor plated the peephole is nothing more than a glass lens which turns dark and lets the perp know you’re there as soon as you peep through it and one bullet through the peephole will enter your eye and blow out your brains.

I just thought I might throw out that tidbit to give us who know they’re out to get us something more to worry about.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:45 AM   #9
DRBoyle

In relation to ClayInTx's point about peepholes.

There are some small handheld devices out there that allow you to reverse the peephole. Security organisations have been known to use them to randomly spy on people.

Your point might explain why some people have installed cameras/cctv type setups. As simple and cheap as a fibre optic type device with a seperate screen to view things, with the eye out of harms way.

Heavy gauge security doors might be a good idea if for nothing else than a few precious seconds.
Old April 1, 2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Pyzon

And light up the person at the door before you open it, with good directed outward flood lights, motion detecting or switched from inside. dirtballs and ne'r do wells absolutely hate having lights in their eyes, but if the light is also in your eyes, the rest of your yard and walk and driveway will be too dark to see what is there.

And anybody that opens a door these days without knowing who is knocking is foolish to say the least.
Old April 1, 2011, 11:35 AM   #11
Eagle0711

When answering the door when a stranger calls I always have a gun in my rt. hand. hide it behind your leg or cover it with something such as a newspaper. Remember that you can shoot through the door also. You may want to stand to the side in case they plan on shooting through the door.

If all is lost, at least take them with you.
Old April 1, 2011, 11:42 AM   #12
PatAz

I never go to the door without a firearm.
Old April 1, 2011, 11:49 AM   #13
ZCORR Jay

About the only thing I like about living in an apartment is that someone would have to get through two security doors before their in my apartment.

About a year ago there was this guy who showed up and said he was with the department of energy and they wanted to come measure my apartment and count all the electric appliances and light bulbs. I told him that the office had the floor plans and to get lost. A week later a lady showed up trying to do the same thing so I ignored it then all of a sudden I get a knock at the door... she buzzed someone else and they let her in the building . With a few choice words through my door I was never bothered again.

The first guy even told me that he figured out what vehicles where my girlfriends and mine and figured out when we were typically home. That made me irate to say the least.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:49 PM   #14
gearhounds

These days, you never know, unfortunately. The chances are slim that it could happen to the average person, but you only need 1 time to change your life. My doors stay locked all the time, and my shepherd mix go's ballistic at the drop of a pin, sometimes even for friends and relatives.

A heavy door is nice, but mainly for stopping projectiles if the door frame isn't reinforced; it can be defeated with not a lot of effort. Same goes for dead bolt locks. Dogs (and dog warning signs), a long driveway, a well disguised driveway "ringer" (stand alone detection device that will chime if passed), and security cameras can vastly speed up the readiness and response process.

There's a vast difference between paranoia and preparedness.
Old April 1, 2011, 02:22 PM   #15
markj

Small security camera. I do belive every house should have them on every entrance these days.

Last time someone knocked on my door late at night, I went out to find a paper bag on fire........
Old April 2, 2011, 05:03 AM   #16
DRBoyle

Could be worse than a bag on fire.

This one sends a chill and if you care about the females in your life you might
want to pass this one along. Years ago reading about a serial rapist who would leave a recording of a baby crying in a bassinette/cradle on front doorsteps. He would choose single women.

Some great ideas passed on here (illumination, cameras, firearm) would prevent that outcome.

Last edited by DRBoyle; April 2, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old April 2, 2011, 05:53 AM   #17
Wag

The other day, the weather was nice so we had the door open and the bell rang. I came around the corner slicing the pie with my eyes and with my gun at my side, hidden by my thigh (as Eagle 0711 mentioned above). Some guy in a suit was there claiming to be taking surveys about something or other. I just told him I don't do surveys and he left without further ado.

But it got me to thinking that it would be a good way to distract while his partner goes around back. My wife was covering the back door with her pistol, though so that wouldn't have gotten him anywhere except the morgue if he had decided to take her on.

These days, home invasions are all too common. It's too bad when people can't feel safe opening the door any more. Most of the time, my doorbell rings with a neighbor wanting to borrow an egg or a cuppa sugar. But I still answer with gun in hand. All it takes it that one time I inadvertently do something on the road in my car and next thing, I'm being followed home for a later attack.

I feel for the family of the guy in the story. Very sad.

--Wag--
Old April 2, 2011, 06:35 AM   #18
Skadoosh

Quote:
There are some small handheld devices out there that allow you to reverse the peephole. Security organisations have been known to use them to randomly spy on people.
Install a storm door....and lock it. Problem fixed.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Pyzon

In a couple of areas I spend time the same scam is being performed, so I think it is more than a coincidence.

Dirtballs (usually 2) knock on the door with a total BS story about what the purpose of the intrusion is, maybe even asking if "John Smith" is home, or could they look at the imaginary truck advertised for sale. They may also be soliciting business as tree trimmers, lawn service, what have you, but are not wearing uniforms, have no signs on their vehicles, nor do they have any business cards when asked.

The entire time they are on the property their eyes are moving, looking in any accessible windows and around the perimeter for booty and indication of dogs and the security setup or lack thereof....The one not at the door may even walk around the home to get the lay of the land in the side and rear yards.

Be aware of things that are not "normal" in your neighborhood, like strange people and vehicles, and take advantage of this time of increasing crime to get acquainted with the people that live around you, and maybe even begin a dialog of what their opinions and capabilities are of home defense and the need for vigilance. It's amazing how little most of us know about who we live amongst.

Also, put the heat on the police force in your neighborhood that may claim to not be aware of increased criminal activity, and don't let them talk you into accepting downgraded protection because of budget problems.. I'll bet your property taxes, just like mine, have not been adjusted downward because your homes are worth 60% of what they were 4 years ago or because one of the breadwinners are without work. A sheriff's department detective actually admitted that investigating property crimes in areas where residents have insurance coverage is being reduced because of their budget.

And light up the night, a very simple thing to accomplish for most of us, close the garage door, day and night, to hide your stuff from the mutts patrolling the area, and secure your lawn equipment, toys and bikes. Just drive residential areas in your town and look at the amazing amount of stuff left out and easy to steal. No wonder it is going on, is it ?
Old April 4, 2011, 01:26 PM   #20
Delaware_Dan

I haven't opened the door to an unexpecting knock in the last 6 years. Half of it is sheer laziness, but hell, I'm not expecting anyone so it must be the wrong house. If someone were to drop by then they know to call the house first.

-Bruce Lee

Last edited by Delaware_Dan; April 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old April 4, 2011, 03:35 PM   #21
markj

Quote:
if you care about the females in your life
LOL, my girls carry all the time and have tasers as well. Medical gals, they leave the hospital late at nite, a few years ago some dirt bag was getting them in the underground garage, so they became armed and trained on how to use the equipment. Mom included.

Now I dont always carry, but they do. I also live out in the country so city type concerns are not ours. we have other concerns.

I made a joke see. The bag was a joke to make a person smile, I like to do that, make people smile. Doesnt seem to work on this forum tho.......
Old April 4, 2011, 10:38 PM   #22
medalguy

What was in the bag? I don't understand......
Old April 5, 2011, 07:22 AM   #23
Doyle

Yes, this is very sad. He worked in the same school system my wife works for (but she doesn't think she had ever met him). Police are being quiet about any suspected motives right now. They hauled away his car to check it over for any evidence.

From all local accounts he was a well liked man. My personal thought is that this was a mistaken identity hit.
Old April 5, 2011, 07:49 AM   #24
docnyt

The brief report doesn't make sense (not that any killing should). Here we have a middle aged history professor trained in martial arts who opens his door to strangers in masks. If he truly was a tae kaon do teacher, somehow his self protection instincts should have kicked in. And the level of education implies he logically would not open the door of his home to suspicious looking characters. Something fishy going on here. Too many details left out or unknown.
Old April 5, 2011, 08:24 AM   #25
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Here we have a middle aged history professor trained in martial arts who opens his door to strangers in masks. If he truly was a tae kaon do teacher, somehow his self protection instincts should have kicked in. And the level of education implies he logically would not open the door of his home to suspicious looking characters. Something fishy going on here. Too many details left out or unknown.

Education doesn't make you "logical" and knowing Taekwondo doesn't give you "self protection instincts".

99% of the general population does not expect any sort of trouble at all, ever. Knock on their door and they open it, often with out so much as glancing out a window first.