The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old December 9, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Cabelas Pine Ridge Scopes

This basically refers to all of Cabela's in house scopes as I understand it from the Customer service rep.

A couple years ago I went to Cabelas(Dundee, MI store) to buy a scope for my muzzle loader on black Friday. I had NO IDEA what I was doing(first optics I ever bought). The man at the counter asked me what I wanted and I asked for a scope that was about $350 and had way too much magnification. He showed me the scope and asked what I would be using it for. When I told him he told me to take a look at another scope which was a Cabela's Pine Ridge for about $125. He then got another scope out of the case that was a name brand and $200 dollars. Upon comparison the scopes were identical except the brand. From the quality of the optic coating to the dial adjustments. Since they had all those mounts all over the store the salesman told me to look through the suggested scope at them. I felt pretty cool looking through the scope at all the exotic game. I was full fledged Walter Mitty for 30 seconds or so. Close to 100 yards to look and the 2.5 was blatantly plenty of magnification with the option of going to 7 if I wanted. I obviously left the store pretty happy with my purchase and the service.

Scope has worked well the last two years and it has seen 100+ rounds out of my muzzle loader and some with my shotgun this deer season. Box tested, held zero, etc.

Turns out I am an idiot. In moving it to my shotgun this deer season I lost one of the adjustment dial caps. Not sure if I put it on loose, it got damaged somewhere and fell off, or if I just left it somewhere.

Called Cabelas today to see if I could get a replacement cap. They asked for proof of purchase, which I don't have. There was a momentary pause and then she continued as if it really didn't matter(doubtful i would try to scam them out of a $.50 part for their brand scope I HAD to buy from them if I didn't actually own one). Then, after looking it up, she told me they don't have parts. I can mail it back to them on my dime and they will give it a total work over and send it back to me on their dime. I asked if there was anyways I could get the name of the actual manufacturer and see if they would send me a part as I could not remember. They said part of their agreement with manufacturers is they are not allowed to release that info and they are serious enough about it that no one in the service department is allowed access to the info, which I did not think was unreasonable or surprising. Although disappointing and not my qualification of superb service, I found this experience satisfactory. I have received better service from other companies, Kahr for example, but the service was not poor in my estimation).

The adjustment takes a quarter or screwdriver to adjust, so I am not too worried about it getting bumped or something. The scope is fine except the missing cap so I don't think it is worthwhile to send it back. OF course, I cold buy another one(they are now on sale) and still have spent less than on the original manufacturers brand name.
Old December 14, 2009, 07:42 AM   #2
GoldenRoyBoy

Nice story!

Nice experience!

Cabela's is a fine group! I buy from them when I can also. I wish their prices were a tad more competitive on some items, such as clothing, and used guns. But, what the hay; I like them just the same also.

GRB
Old January 18, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
foghorn leghorn

I went to Cabelas here in Illinois to buy some .308 on friday. The sale was 12.99 a box, great price. The sale started thursday, and they were out of stock.
I was there on Dec 26, same sale price, and they had cases of the .308 Winchester, but I only bought 4 boxes. I kicked myself and looked forward to this sale to buy 10 more boxes.
They claimed the manufacturer didn't send any stock.

I have bought a used rifle from their gun library. It was a mint Rem 700 ADL in .223 synthetic for $310.00.
Their transfer fee is 40 for out of state gunbroker.com sales, a little high.