The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2007, 05:03 PM   #1
stic

Replacing Remington 870 Fore-End

I'm attempting to replace the fore-end of my Remington 870 Express and can't seem to get the darn thing removed. I assume that the screw is counter-clockwise to remove but doesn't seem to want to move. Is it perhaps clockwise and all I've been doing is tightening it? I have been using the ~1.5-2 inch wide tool supplied to replace it but am a bit loathe to put too much strength into it and risk damaging the threads and having to replace the whole thing. Any help is much appreciated.
Old July 13, 2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The round notched nut is standard Right hand thread.
Some of these are very tight, and may be further locked by rust, grit, or impacted crud.

Be careful not to crack the forearm, but use a little more pressure to break the nut loose.

You can also get some Kroil or another penetrating fluid and give the threaded joint between the nut and the steel sleeve a squirt. Let soak overnight to help loosen the nut.
Old July 13, 2007, 07:55 PM   #3
eXXit

I,ve got an 870 Super Mag,R U talking about the Knurled cap?
Old July 13, 2007, 07:59 PM   #4
stic

Thanks Dfariswheel...I'll just try and put some more elbow grease into it (and some other tools). It's a brand new 870, so I know there isn't a problem with grime or etc. Just must have been tightened really tight when made.
Old July 13, 2007, 08:02 PM   #5
eXXit

Dude don,t know where you R but check this out [www.wilsonscombat.com:)
Old July 16, 2007, 03:52 AM   #6
skeeter

There is a special tool made to fit the nut but you should be able to also use a screw drivier.
Old July 16, 2007, 04:09 AM   #7
FS2K

Try Tapping it a few times with a flat nosed punch.

Just along the edge stic. As far as I know, Remington doesn't use any loctite or anything like that on the threads. Sometimes the tapping (Tap like Joe, not like Mary kind of taps) will break the grip of that nut on the forearm grip tube, making it easier to loosen.

Also, try loosening the nut while the forearm assy (well the two rods on the bottom anyway) are snug in a vice w/ wood to protect the rods. The threads, while fine are tough and they won't strip taking the nut off. You could also clip some needle nosed vice grips to each ear of the "tool" they supply with the stock for more leverage, It'll breaK free. Good Luck!