The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1
gasmandave

Original 1849 Pocket Pistol

I just had a call from a guy I know, he has for sale an original 1849 Pocket Pistol in 31 cal he wants to sell. All matching serial numbers with the original holster. National Rifleman this month has an 1860 inside the back cover, if you get that mag, it is said to be at 35%. I'm thinking this one would be in that range. If anyone has an idea the value, I know, I know, pictures, pictures, pictures. I'll get some to put up I think he wants about $1200. for it.
Old March 22, 2014, 05:37 PM   #2
spacecoast

I have a couple of 1849s plus a relatively rare Wells Fargo (based on the 1849). The 1849s are fairly common with over 300,000 built through 1873. Condition is everything, but the matching numbers ( on the frame, trigger guard, cylinder, barrel, wedge, cylinder pin and inside the grip) are a plus if they are all there. Not sure about the holster but it sure can't hurt.

You didn't mention the cylinder scene, but it's the stagecoach holdup scene, and often it's very light or worn off. So if it's there and plainly visible, the gun could be worth $1200, but if it's not visible then the value is probably less.

If you get pics, I recommend you post them over at coltforum.com in the Percussion Revolver section, there are some VERY knowledgeable collectors there who can give you advice. You can also check completed auctions at Gunbroker to get an idea.

Last edited by spacecoast; March 22, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:17 PM   #3
gasmandave

I'll get up with the guy and get pictures. I think he said you could still see the scene one the cylinder but it was light. I'll have him check the serial numbers of all the parts.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:42 PM   #4
gasmandave

all the numbers match. The cylinder scene is real light. I'm trying to get pictures now, I'll post them up Monday or Tuesday.
Old March 24, 2014, 04:17 PM   #5
gasmandave

This is the pistol the fellow wants to sell. If you're interested check it out in the for sale section above.