The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 04:49 PM   #26
bonefamily

Thanks for the info, specs. We only have a few LGS' around us and I haven't seen a P89 in any of them, but I will keep my eyes open in the event one pops up.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:16 PM   #27
elDiabloLoco

Enjoying my P95. Had some FTE's the first time I took it to the range, but figured out a better job of oiling was needed. When it is lubed it is great, not a single failure since its been lubed. Love the single action trigger on it.

In the same general price range you might also find a S&W 5906 or 6906. The 5906 is larger, the 6906 more compact. The feel on those are very similar to the P95, and lots of both are in the used market from LEO trade ins. Both of the S&W's are very similar to the P95. The 6906 seems to have a slightly lighter double action pull, but the single action "feel" is very similar to the P95.

I put the Hogue Handall grip on the P95. Even with relatively small hands, I like it that way better than bare polymer. I should probably go to a smaller single stack - but I probably will not, unless my wife finds one she likes.

Don't know Sigma.....
Old January 18, 2013, 02:32 PM   #28
bonefamily

Ok, I'm really favoring the P95 and my LGS said that they can get me one once ordered in two days from their factory.

But before making the commitment to order, and because this will also act as a carry piece, what are some of the better options for carrying the P95? I ask because it is replacing my smaller pocket carry pistol and with the longer, almost 4" barrel I don't think it would pocket very friendly How do you P95 owners like to CC yours? Thanks.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:09 PM   #29
elDiabloLoco

P95 may not really a good choice for CC. Not quite as long as a 1911, but kinda fat-n-chunky.

So I carry it in a box.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:31 PM   #30
RevJim

Sig Pro

Last fall, I was considering purchasing the Ruger P95. I did my research and found what people here have said - it is a dependable, heavy gun with a heavy trigger. But then I did a head-slap and said, "Why not a SigPro 2022?" I already had a SigPro 2340 (the older, .40 version) and I absolutely love it. It has never had a problem in the 8 years that I have owned it. So, I put in my order for a SigPro 2022 in 9mm. When it arrived, I took my two sons with me. My youngest is 7 years old. He fired 7 rounds without a problem. My 9 year old son ran off 15 rounds without blinking!

The SigPro is a little more expensive than the Ruger P95, but it is a great gun. I have concealed-carried the 2340. It is a little big, but with the right setup, it is pretty easy to do. And it is absolutely reliable.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:22 AM   #31
coltshooter89

Im not a big 9mm fan at all but i have shot both guns here. The sigma just didnt feel as solid as the ruger to me! I would totally go ruger between these two but if its something you may end up carrying, spend the extra bucks and get a sig! Or a colt lol!
Old January 23, 2013, 01:56 PM   #32
Lordy123

I own the sigma, removed the trigger pig spring, and I'm very happy with it.

I've only used a P95 once.

That being said, I would opt for the Ruger as a carry weapon, however I would opt for the sigma if it was just for the range.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:21 PM   #33
YARDDOG(1)

I own both,, I shoot the sigma better then the p95,,,Though I shoot the snot out of the p95 working up reloads ; ) PS I Like to CC my M&P 9c the most

Y/D
Old January 23, 2013, 03:11 PM   #34
TheFlash

The Ruger is a more durable pistol vs. the Sigma. I've shot both and prefer the Ruger. If you don't plan on carrying it too much, the Ruger is your best choice in the price range you described.

So... +1 for the Ruger P95!
Old January 23, 2013, 05:21 PM   #35
bonefamily

Thanks for all the replies and advice, everyone. Well, I went to the LGS with the intent to order a P95 but when doing so the LGS said there was some complications ordering from Ruger with the whole ordeals going on right now and said it would be a wait - how long of a wait she did not know. With everything going on right now I really didn't want a wait involved as I don't know what will become.

So, they had a Bersa Thunder 380 in stock there that I have also been looking into for a while now so I just decided to go with it. I figure if all ends well I will be able to get the P95 on down the road. I will say that the Thunder is a very nice pistol.

Thanks again to all for the help!
Old January 23, 2013, 05:57 PM   #36
huntinaz

I'm a little late to the party, but I much prefer the Sigma. Looks better, feels better, was extremely reliable over thousands of rounds. You get used to the trigger pull, I didn't think it was that big a deal. However, it is certainly heavier than others. I've only put ~150 rounds thru a p95 but I just didn't love it. It functioned well though.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:20 AM   #37
txproud

Have been wanting P95 also, just seem to want a hammer-fired pistol for some reason. Kinda new to pistols, but...I've been carrying and shooting sigma SW9VE for over a year now. No problems whatsoever, regardless of ammo; heavy trigger may not be for everyone though. Still, that Ruger is on my list.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:45 PM   #38
kahrguy

I had a 45acp version of the ruger and have a sigma, well the last version. sw40ve. Followed one of the imternet guides to lighter trigger pulls. It now has a 6lb pull with a ligher stricker spring, removed the lower spring and shortend the other 2, polish everthing metal to a high shin . Great pistol for a total of 300 dollars. Like other covered the newer SD9VE is a better design and with a 25 dollar apex spring kit drops the trigger pull to 5 1/2lbs. My ruger is a great pistol to but just different in feel. Son-in-law has it now.