The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 30, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1
mballai

Buyer Plays Chicken

Just a gripe. I had someone, apparently a newbie, who wanted to buy a gun, even sent an FFL, but then couldn't get a grasp on sending a postal money order with a signature return receipt. I know that people get weird sending money to people they don't know, but that's how this works. Guy couldn't even get a handle on someone with over 1300 feedback rating on eBay might be honest.

Get over it or don't waste people's time.
Old January 30, 2008, 03:37 PM   #2
williamd

Recalcitrant Buyers out there .... I have purchased and sold quite a few firearms and many other things on-line. I insist on a M.O. and have never been ripped off. If the Seller goes to the trouble to arrange shipment, FFL, etc, then no problem. Plus, most on-line sales sites have seller ratings! JUST DO IT!!!! And, enjoy!
Old February 6, 2008, 10:43 PM   #3
mballai

Just had another guy--I was willing to do a FFL trans out and in to swap a gun with him and he pulled out. If you tell someone you are going to do something, do it. This guy was military too. Heaven help those who serve under him.
Old February 6, 2008, 11:04 PM   #4
tplumeri

Quote:
I have purchased and sold quite a few firearms and many other things on-line.
+1
the Mrs gets nervous when i make big purchases online to private individuals, but Ive never had a problem. Ive even shipped items "on approval" w/o any funds and never been burnt.
Old February 6, 2008, 11:10 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Buyer backouts.

I've had a few of those where someone posted an "I'll take it" in the ad and then followed up with PM's to arrange a FTF sale, then the PM's stop. Then the date of the sale comes and they no show. Or PM real late the night before saying, "sorry can't do it, wife won't let me" or something. It's very annoying.
Old February 7, 2008, 08:19 AM   #6
BlkHawk73

It's just too easy to back ut of on-line purchases since it's all basically anonomous. Without that FTF aspect there's no guilt with some. I can understand aggreing to a purchase and having a situation arise preventing it but let the other party know as soon as possible and be upfront and honest about it. I've yet to have any problems but am also careful as to who i deal with. There's definately some very good folks to deal with and unfortuneatly some very crooked and just plain worthless ones as well.
Old February 7, 2008, 10:22 AM   #7
zukiphile

Quote:
Just had another guy--I was willing to do a FFL trans out and in to swap a gun with him and he pulled out. If you tell someone you are going to do something, do it.
I concur.

Let me suggest an alternative to requiring a MO.

I have purchased a few items online, but don't care to send bearer paper out in the mail, especially to someone I don't know. Instead, I have proposed to each seller that I send my check, he negotiates it to insure that it is good, and only then send the item.

This lets him know that he has good funds, and gives me evidence that he was paid. Takes longer, but I've never had anyone reject a deal for it.