The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 09:20 PM   #26
uradaisyifudo

I have found that I generally prefer a thinner grip like a 1911 or ruger sr or fn, I also really like revolver grips genrally speaking. But I got to handle a gen 4 glock and liked the grip better than I have on past issuances, the glock was at the local pawnshop, they also let me fondle a steyr aug, which was cool and an old colt army revolver circa 1925ish, also cool!
Old February 1, 2013, 01:54 AM   #27
SgtLumpy

Guns, guitars, cars, drill presses etc... If I was issued one and had to use it, I'd teach myself to get comfortable with it. But if I'm buying one for my pleasure, I darn sure want one that I like the feel of.

My little chief's special never pointed well with it's stock little J grips. If I sighted with it and adjusted the point of aim downward, I could shoot it great. But it wouldn't point like my model 66 or my Beretta 92. I've put thousands of rounds through each. Once I built new grips for the little gun, it too pointed like the others. Now I'm back to shooting aspirins thrown in the air with my eyes closed.

Well, ok. Not really aspirins thrown in the air with my eyes closed.. But bowling pins at 10 yards by point, not aiming.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 1, 2013, 05:29 PM   #28
oldgunsmith

If someone honestly hasn't fired enough to feel big differences between different guns and recognize that some feel better or worse than others maybe it isn't time to choose and buy one yet.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:41 PM   #29
Spydr1299

All guns feel good in my hand! It's how it shoots that's most important to me. And no, they aren't all the same!
Old February 1, 2013, 06:52 PM   #30
Rainbow Demon

The Browning p-35 feels better in my hand than a 1911A1, but I always hit low with the P-35 compared to the 1911A1. Grip angle of the 1911 is better suited to the recoil of the .45, the P-35 could stand a hair more angle for the light recoil of the 9mm, or harder kicking loads. Perhaps a lightweight alloy frame.
My S&W 59, which has a grip like a table leg, hits just right, perhaps because of the alloy frame.

Squared off autoloader frames may help with muscle memory.

I have yet to find a revolver grip that doesn't feel right and provide a natural point, from largest to smallest frame size, but I suspect from the looks of it that a Montenegrin revolver would not fit the bill at all.

If everyone had the same hand there would not be so much variation in grip design.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:56 PM   #31
buck460XVR

Like any tool that uses hand/eye coordination, a tool that feels more like an extension of your hand as opposed to feeling awkward, will just be easier and more pleasant to use. Using a firearm off a bench/rest or when used slowly with good focus is one thing, but in a rush, under stress, one that naturally points for you will be the most accurate. While most folks can take most any "off the shelf" shotgun and become quite proficient with it, with the same amount of practice, a shotty that fits well will always out-shoot one that feels awkward. When shooting big-bore hand cannons, not only will one that feels better and fits your hand, shoot better for you, but it won't beat you up as bad either.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:15 PM   #32
shafter

I think you have a good point and I've often felt the same way. Naturally its a good thing when you find a gun you like and it fits your hand really great from the start. With such a large selection of firearms to choose from there really isn't a reason not to do that. But generally I would agree. Something that feels really uncomfortable can fit quite nicely after awhile.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:58 PM   #33
kozak6

There is such a thing as ergonomically inferior design, and one size fits all, isn't.

For example, I consider the layout of the Playstation controller to be greatly inferior. In my opinion, the left analog and the dpad need to be switched, among other problems. Notice how the analog and dpad are switched on so many third party controllers. If I use the PS controller for more than a couple hours, my left hand cramps up and aches.

Similarly, the Glock doesn't fit me either. The difference is that it costs many hundred of dollars.

All this argument about "Try it till it works!" always strikes me as silly.

My size 13 hiking boots fit me great and I love them. Everybody else should love them too. What do you mean hiking boots aren't your style? Dress code? Stand up for yourself. Too big? That's wiggle room. It's actually one of the strongest features of the design. It gave you blisters and an ingrown toenail? Just adopt a tactical stance. Who said anything about liking sneakers better? All I know is that I love the hell out of my boots and that you are wrong. If you would just wear them for a couple months, you'd absolutely love them too.

Anyways, my point is why should I stick with something ill fitting that I hate it if I have a better experience THE VERY SECOND I switch to something else?

If you are 6'10", just maybe the Mazda Miata isn't the right car for you.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:52 PM   #34
jason_iowa

Yes I could get used to a glock grip and grip angle but why when there are so many that just feel right with out getting used to.

So unless we get to the point where there is only one brand and one model I don't really see the point.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:00 AM   #35
TXAZ

If all of our hands were identical, there might be only one pistol grip or design....

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 5, 2013, 03:59 PM   #36
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah...My Glocks shoot great. I shoot them easily. Adjust and adapt like nobody's business.

Does it feel like a SIG in my hand? No...Some just feel better. Always a preference. Some people are under the impression that if one says. A & B doesn't feel good but C does. That they cannot shoot or handle A & B, when they can. Just have a preference. That's all.

I know an old friend of mine, old enough to be my grandpa. If I make him shoot the abomination of a polymer gun..He'll probably do just fine or better than me. But his preference will always be his Colt 1911.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:24 PM   #37
serf 'rett

Quote:
I like the military approach. Here is you issued weapon. This is what you have to fight with. Learn it.
Sorry to burst a bubble, but this is simply not 100 percent true.

Back in the dark ages, we tried out for the NROTC college pistol team with a Colt Ace. If you made the 10 man team, you still shot the Colt Ace...until the gunny was impressed with consistent groups and him being a lifer made him difficult to impress. If he was impressed, you graduated to one of the High Standards and yep, you guessed it, they definitely “felt” better.

I seem to recall, snipers aren’t using M4 standard issue either. Seems even the military understands different equipment for specific tasks.

Shoot enough stuff and you should be able to figure out what feels right for you; plus why it feels right for you. This is called experience. This is called ergonomics. Can you put in enough trigger time to shoot almost any platform well? I think it’s possible; however, given the same time investment, I think will you shoot the superior ergonomic platform better. My $0.04.