The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 27, 2009, 07:28 AM   #26
Deerhunter

For all those that just joined in. Here is the deal. He left a bunch of military stuff with me that I also wanted to get rid of. Just not the place to be talking about stuff other than guns so I didn't mention getting rid of that stuff here.

I was good friends with this guy then he did some stupid stuff. He took my truck when I was out of town. He took it into a bad part of DC to go to a club. He then decided it was a good idea to get really drunk. He then realized that my truck sitting in DC wasn't a good idea so he drove it. He was pulled over, got a DUI and had my truck towed. Then he decided it would be a great idea not to tell me about it. He basically threw the friendship away. I was very reluctant to help him out but figured I would give him a chance. So as far as me being a friend you don't know me and what I have done for my friends. This guy has not contacted me since Labor Day 2008. I am looking to move and don't need a bunch of extra stuff laying around. Is a pistol a big deal no, but eventually I want to get rid of it. I don't want to be responsible for it. At the current time I can not afford a big gun safe, if those of you that want me to put it in one and forget about it, feel free to send money so I can buy one. For all I know the guy is dead, wouldn't suprise me with the stupid stuff I have found out he has done.

As for the email....They are going to an active email account, it is the only one that he has used as long as I have known him. I don't know if he has read them no way to know. I have no other way of contacting him and I have tried.
Old April 27, 2009, 12:01 PM   #27
BillCA

Deerhunter,

Let's turn this around. You decide to leave your new 42" HDTV with me so it doesn't get damaged in storage. After 18 - 24 months, life is settled enough that you want your stuff back. But, well, I just didn't want that HDTV hanging around so I sold it for funds to upgrade my own home theatre system... or put a hi-performance gearbox in my truck. I waited all of a year, so what's the beef?

This is how people find themselves charged with theft, felony theft, embezzlement and/or fraud.

Do some research on the web. Google his name - you might find likely addresses for him if he's paying for utilities somewhere. Send letters asking him to claim his property by [date-60-days-from-now] or it'll be sold. Lastly, ask your lawyer if taking out a brief ad in a Florida paper or two declaring property of firstname middleinitial lastname will be sold in 60 days unless he calls a number will help show you made honest attempts to notify him.
Old April 27, 2009, 12:27 PM   #28
Deerhunter

If I had left something like a pistol or TV with someone I would be keeping in contact with them. I would be calling or writting an email about my stuff.

That is also why I posted the question. I then talked to a lawyer who told me that I had to try and contact him with what ever means I had possible. Hogdogs was nice enough to try and help out, he ran a search for the guy and came back with nothing. I am planning to keep the pistol around for a while and wait to see if I hear from him. I just wanted to get an idea of what I would need to do if he never calls or writes about it.