The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 20, 2000, 06:18 PM   #1
Mikey

At one time I could post pics hosted thru photopoint.com - then, after an upgrade to TFL, the UBB codes and photopoint naming convention became incompatable for some reason causing a scrambling of the address characters and UBB codes for the photo.

Then, after another TFL maintenance session, I could post again, until today.

Today I tried to post a pic thru photopoint and the problem was back. The following is a test to be sure the problem is indeed back.

Trying Rich's suggestion...
My Piglet

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 07:06 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Mikey-
The URL link looks bad. Email me a copy of the sample image URL and reference this thread...I'll see what I can do.
Rich
Old June 20, 2000, 08:12 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Mikey's photo

OK...
We don't allow HTML as it can crash the UBB software easily. You have to use UBB Code, which you already know....your post demonstrates that. Unfortunately, your URL is not calling an actual HTML page from another server; it's creating a dynamic page within someone elses viewing software, within the UBB code, within the UBB Perl Scipt.....ovbiously one pass or another is failing. Even if you edit your post to place the "[/img]" tag at the end, it fails.

Bottom line: the UBB "img" tags work fine for simple references to offsite HTML images, but not for calling another script as you have apparently done. In any case, we prefer that links be posted to external graphics (as I have done), as this decreases download time and bandwidth. This isn't a hard and fast rule, as you'll see images in posts at TFL. We just don't encourage them.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 21, 2000, 09:48 AM   #4
Eric of IN

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich Lucibella:
Unfortunately, your URL is not calling an actual HTML page from another server; it's creating a dynamic page within someone elses viewing software, within the UBB code, within the UBB Perl Scipt.....ovbiously one pass or another is failing. Even if you edit your post to place the "[/img]" tag at the end, it fails.

[/quote]

Rich I'm glad there are people like you in this world. If it was up to people like me, we'd still be using drums and signal fires to communicate.

BTW Thanks for TFL.
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.

[This message has been edited by Eric of IN (edited June 21, 2000).]