The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2006, 09:42 PM   #1
115grfmj

Rifled or Smoothbore better utility for 870 ?

I know rifled barrels do better with sabot's, but sabots are $$$$ compared to rifled slugs. Assuming both remington RS 20 " barrels, which is the better value. I.e. in the long run which give's you more bang for the buck (Pun intended )

This gun will never be used more that 100yds, and probably for deer. and hogs, but you never know I might try moose or elk one day

Yes gent's it's a practicallity question
Old November 29, 2006, 12:14 AM   #2
gak1

I shoot Winchester Power Point 1oz foster slugs from a rifled cantilever aftermarket 20" barrel, as well as sabot rounds. Yes I get leading but I clean my guns after each use anyway, so no problems there.

No accuracy loss at 50 yards even after my buddy and I fired 250 slugs. Just soaked the inside of the barrel in wd-40 for a few hours, then ran a copper brush down the barrel till shiny. Will try the drill trick next time which should make it even easier.

The Wingmaster 20" cantilever barrels are sweet.

Oh ya, and the original smooth barrel sits in the closet with a layer of oil in case I ever need to shoot buckshot/birdshot.
Old November 29, 2006, 11:29 PM   #3
SRG

The smooth bore is more utilitarian by far; rifled slugs, any size shot, trap, skeet, hunting, defense. The rifled barrel lets you shoot slugs only. Can't shoot skeet with slugs.