The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Schmeisser

Sorting by weight

For the development of a new load I am for the first time sorting cases & bullets by weight. I simply took the required number of brass and bullets out of the middle of the Bell curve +/- 1%. But this can't be the professional way of doing it.

I'm wondering therefore,
- what is the most practical way to sort brass & bullets by weight?
- what do you do with the remainder on the left and right side of the Bell curve? Toss it?

Thank you for sharing your expertise.
Old January 15, 2006, 09:17 PM   #2
caz223

A little background info....
What caliber are you loading for?
What are you trying to achieve by weighing your cases?
What headstamp are your cases?
Old January 15, 2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

It ain't something I would bother with for anything other than benchrest or the upper levels of military match competition.
Old January 15, 2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I went through 500 .223 cases for target shooting. About 45% were in the 45% in the 95.0-95.9 grain range and are my match brass. Another 45% were in the 94.0-94.9 grain range and are my spares for when the first batch shows wear. The few 96+ were for my new barrel break-in and rough sight-in. I'll probably just drop the sub-95s in with some odds and ends for plinking in the Ruger.
Old January 16, 2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Schmeisser

@ Caz223:

I am reloading the .308 Federal GMM cases (all same lot) which I have collected over the past months. My aim is to duplicate the factory ammo. To start with, the test loads should all be comparable and as precise as possible. A laboratory test, so to speak. When it comes to mass production, I'll follow Jim Watson's practice. Sounds very sensible.
Old January 17, 2006, 03:11 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...duplicate the factory ammo..." Don't. Work up a load for your rifle. The whole point of reloading is to load and shoot the most accurate ammo for your rifle. Not to duplicate generic factory ammo.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Schmeisser

I fully agree with you, T. O'Heir - but .308 GMM is "the" ammo for my rifle and handloading is fun and saves my $$$.
Old January 17, 2006, 02:11 PM   #8
30Cal

Quote:
It ain't something I would bother with for anything other than benchrest or the upper levels of military match competition.
There's a great story on www.jarheadtop.com about how Boots Obermeyer went through and sorted first brass and bullets by weight, individually weighed each charge, then weighed the assembled rounds from heaviest to lightest (which should give you the most consistant POI as the day warms up--the heavier cartridges will have slightly higher pressures/velcities). He shot a fantastic score at 600yds only to find out the ammo he'd just fired were the practice rounds he'd built from the culls and the nice stuff had been left at home.

Ty