The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 31, 2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Ben Towe

Kimber 84 accuracy issues?

Here's the story:

A friend of mine is looking at a virtually new Kimber 84 in .22-250 at the LGS. Local guy traded it in after finding it wouldn't group well (about 3 MOA at 100 yards) with the only load he tried. A few days ago my friend and some other boys slap an old junk scope on it, bore sight it and proceed to shoot a three shot group at 100 yards with it, one shot each. You can cover this group with a penny. This was with factory Hornady ammo, 55 grain V-Max.

Fast forward to yesterday. He decides he wants to shoot it again before purchase to make sure it's okay. After spending hours attempting to find rings to mount his big Zeiss glass to it, we have to settle on sitting a big Centerpoint I had laying around on it.

On the range it commenced to shooting the same type groups it did for the guy who bought it new; 3-4 inches and stringing bullets from left to right. It was a bit windy so I laid my XR-100 (also .22-250) on the bags and shot a group (Hornady factory ammo, 55 grain V-Max was the ammo in both rifles). It grouped slightly under an inch, so I feel confident that the wind was not the big issue. I wish I had shot the Kimber myself to be sure it was a component issue but we ran out of time and I didn't get to. My friend is at least as good a shot as me, and honestly probably a right smart better as I'm out of practice, but anyone can have an off day.

I know there are quite a few variables here and it could be a number of things, but the fact it started stringing with two different loads, two different shooters, and two different scopes is a bit worrisome to me. We're going to put the Zeiss on it Friday and shoot it again but even if it shoots well I'm gonna be wondering if the next time it's going to be all over the place. Any opinions either on the rifles in general or on what needs to be checked would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, a gun doesn't shoot one day and not the next.

Either the penny group was a fluke or there's some problem with some external influence, like a junk scope.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Ben Towe

I wish now we had jerked the Leupold VX-3 off of my .338 and put on it. If it won't shoot with it, it's likely it won't shoot at all. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:25 AM   #4
jmr40

A heavy rifle is very forgiving of imperfect shooting form. A lightweight rifle like a Kimber demands perfect form. I've owned a 308 for several years and it took me a little while to get good with it. Now that I've mastered the gun it is VERY accurate.

I'm convinced that at least 90% of the complaints of poor Kimber accuracy is really due to inexperienced shooters, not bad rifles.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
A heavy rifle is very forgiving of imperfect shooting form. A lightweight rifle like a Kimber demands perfect form. I've owned a 308 for several years and it took me a little while to get good with it. Now that I've mastered the gun it is VERY accurate.

I'm convinced that at least 90% of the complaints of poor Kimber accuracy is really due to inexperienced shooters, not bad rifles.
I don't disagree with the theory but you'd have to be a rabid chimp hyped up on 5-hour energy to shoot a capable gun to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. You might get 1/2-3/4 with an "easy" gun and 1 1/2 with a "hard" gun but 4" groups at 100 yards, that's shooting blindfolded territory. Particularly with a gun which has almost no recoil, like a 22-250.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Scorch

It's been a few years since I looked at a Kimber 84, but as I recall there were some accuracy issues with the Kimbers that were due to uneven pressure or binding in the stock or something similar. That said, a rifle that shoots one day and not the next day is somewhat puzzling. Should be fixable if you want to take that gamble. I am sure it will take some work to get it all figured out
Old October 31, 2012, 10:37 AM   #7
jehu

I had a Sako Finnlite, fluted pencil barrel, in 22-250 that would start walking groups after the second shot if the barrel was not allowed to cool. The 22-250 is a hot round and will cause the barrel to quickly heat up. I also shoot the Hornady V-max 55gr. I sold the Finnlite and got the Sako Varmint heavy barrel and have no problem with rapid multiple shots. Get good scope mounts and during site in let the barrel cool after it starts heating and it should return to zero.