The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 17, 2013, 07:39 PM   #1
BamaMac54

Help me understand this diagram.

This is from the manual for my Mossy 835. It uses Accu-Mag chokes, and I have a couple of questions.

1. According to this, can I use the X-full flush choke with steel shot?

2. If so, what does (STEEL) refer to in the lead shot pattern column next to the X-full choke? #95255

Finally, I'm new to shotgun hunting, so pardon the noob question. What do "Mod T&F", and "Mod. #2, and BB" refer to? I'm trying to understand the usage of the word "pattern" on these columns, and am getting confused a little.

Basically, I'm just in need of an explanation of this diagram. Thanks!

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2rh4282.jpg
Old April 17, 2013, 08:22 PM   #2
HuntAndFish

That's a good question. I thought I knew, but I don't want to tell you the wrong info, so I removed it. Hopefully someone more familiar will come along and tell us.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; April 17, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:51 AM   #3
big al hunter

1. Yes your manual is saying you can use steel shot in an 835 X-Full

2. I think it was a typo error. Email Mossberg and ask to be sure.

The "T, F, #2 and BB" are all steel shot sizes. My understanding was that different size shot, particularly the larger T and F, need more open constriction to give similar patterns to smaller shot.

"Pattern" is what we call the group of holes left in a paper target by 1 load of shot fired, generally at 40 yards for testing. It is referred to by shotgunners to show how far the pellets spread at a given distance. A full choke should spread to roughly 40 inches at 40 yards. A modified choke should be close to 40 inches at 30 or 35 yards. Each gun and choke will be slightly different in actual pattern size and density. You choose choke and shot size based on game or target type, and expected distance to the target.
Old April 18, 2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Virginian

I have yet to see a Full choke tube that is rated for use with steel shot (or tungsten) that didn't say it right on the tube, but I haven't seen them all. I know Remington was the first, and for a long time the only, manufacturer that made a steel rated flush Full tube, because they used maraging steel. Others have jumped on the bandwagon. What does your Flush Full choke tube say on it?
Larger shot does indeed usually pattern tighter with more open chokes than smaller shot. Improved Modified works well for #2 and bigger in my experience, assuming of course you are looking for the tightest patterns you can get. Brileys has a good discussion of chokes and patterns on their web site.
http://www.briley.com/
Old April 18, 2013, 07:35 AM   #5
BamaMac54

Yeah, I was wondering about the notations for steel or lead. The Accu-mag chokes have nothing on them besides choke pattern.

For Turkey I'm using #5 copper plated in a full choke, however I'd like the option of not worrying about if I need steel shot for duck, etc. Am I understanding that switching to the X-full might be actually a bad idea?
Old April 19, 2013, 02:17 AM   #6
natman

I agree it's confusing, but it looks like Mossberg has a choke that throws the equivalent pattern to a Lead XFull when used with Steel shot. In other words the X-FULL (Steel) throws an extra tight pattern when used with steel. It's probably similar to an IM choke when used with lead.

BTW, it would help if you posted your picture right side up.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:01 AM   #7
big al hunter

[
Quote:
For Turkey I'm using #5 copper plated in a full choke, however I'd like the option of not worrying about if I need steel shot for duck, etc. Am I understanding that switching to the X-full might be actually a bad idea
Thats the best part of having removable choke tubes. You can change the choke to the best one for your application. It takes 1 minute and can be done in the field if conditions change. You can have an x-full for turkey in the morning and modified for pheasant in the afternoon and full for geese in the evening.

All chokes that come with the 835 are safe with steel or lead. Each tube will shoot steel tighter than lead. That is why they gave you the chart. The modified choke shoots lead to the standard modified choke pattern, but steel patterns to a full pattern with the same choke tube. But you need to pattern your gun on paper to see how each load and shot size/type will actually shoot. My 835 and your 835 may shoot the same load differently.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:04 AM   #8
BamaMac54

Your input helped Switched to x-full with 3" #5shot and this was the result this morning. Thanks again!

Old April 23, 2013, 09:05 PM   #9
big al hunter

Congratulations thats a beautiful bird.