The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 08:16 PM   #126
bac1023

Here are a few more of mine...

ATI FX45

Remington Rand USGI

Charles Daly EFS

Old December 31, 2012, 08:19 PM   #127
bac1023

Firestorm DLX

Fusion Commander Elite

Para GI Expert

Old December 31, 2012, 08:22 PM   #128
bac1023

Les Baer SRP

Les Baer Concept V

Pistol Dynamics Signature

Old December 31, 2012, 08:23 PM   #129
bac1023

Ithaca 1911A1

Para 1911 Limited

Unertl DLX

Old December 31, 2012, 08:29 PM   #130
bac1023

Sig STX

Norinco 1911A1

Auto Ordnance GI

Old December 31, 2012, 08:48 PM   #131
Tucker 1371

Well I think I've figured out why decent 1911s are a PITA to find at my LGSs... DHart and bac1023 bought them all

Very nice collections y'all!
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 2, 2013, 02:20 AM   #132
thinktwice

DHart, I have to say your post does make since. Maybe I can just hold off on selling any of my production guns, instead of shelling out $2500.00- $3000.00 on a high end custom. Thanks

Last edited by thinktwice; January 2, 2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: replied to wrong person
Old January 2, 2013, 03:09 AM   #133
DHart

Quote:
DHart, I have to say your post does make since. Maybe I can just hold off on selling any of my production guns, instead of shelling out $2500.00- $3000.00 on a high end custom. Thanks
Hey man... you're welcome. The holy grail of 1911's isn't having a lot of them, or even having an uber-expensive elite brand name model. Nice thing is you don't have to spend all that money to find this out.

The better grade, well-established brand, production models can be awesome guns indeed. Colt is making superb 1911's these days and is one of my favorite 1911 makers. Settle in on one or two solid production models and become one with them. This way you will know the weapon so intimately that full trust in reliability and true confident accuracy will be assured.

The more guns you own, the less you can know reliability and attain superb accuracy on most of them. As the old saying goes, "beware the man who only owns 1 gun, for he probably knows how to shoot it exceptionally well!"

You may find, after much use, that doing a tweak or mod here or there is helpful, but you don't need to make changes and expensive customization "just because you can". Leaving well enough alone until you're certain a change is needed is the way to go. And will save you a lot of money.

Many a 1911 owner has undertaken numerous tweaks and mods because they thought that was "the thing to do" - it's easy to believe that to be the case when you see all the products out there for changing and modding a 1911. Often, however, they wind up with a gun that has lost it's reliability and, if permanently changed, has probably lost it's original value (in addition to the upgrade costs) as well.

I would avoid the bottom tier of very inexpensive 1911's and step up to buy a better-grade production level gun to start with and then master it. Interestingly, I often preferred shooting and carrying my Colts even with Wilsons and Browns in the safe ready to go. Those are certainly nice guns, but I honestly don't feel the money is that well spent on them. Just my personal view and others may differ.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:55 PM   #134
bac1023

I hear what you're saying.

However, I'm more a collector than I am a shooter. I have a few carry guns that I feel very comfortable and proficient with. After that, I'm a collector, with occasional recreational shooting. I don't feel any need to be proficient with all my stuff. In fact, I own many firearms I never even shot. Again, I'm a collector first and foremost.

To be honest, I'm mostly a collector of non-1911 autos and revolvers. They make up the majority of my inventory, but I have amassed some 1911s over the years.

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP (not pictured) most of the time. Sometimes I carry my Glock 33 or Glock 19. I do get a good deal of practice time with these pistols.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:10 AM   #135
DHart

bac1023... Sounds like we have a lot in common. I was a shooter who happened to become a collector just because I found so many guns I wanted to have. At one point I realized that there was no way I could know and be proficient with all the guns I had. Quite a few 1911's, but many more S&W revolvers. Over the last couple of years I've thinned the 1911's somewhat and thinned the revolver herd quite a bit. Still have another dozen or so I could happily live without and will probably sell this year. I'm at that stage in life where I want to get rid of stuff more than I want to accumulate stuff! Got too much stuff... But I've made excellent headway recently in getting rid of a lifetimes worth of stuff. Now I like to travel most of the year, so having a lot of stuff has become unimportant.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:51 AM   #136
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
bac1023... Sounds like we have a lot in common. I was a shooter who happened to become a collector just because I found so many guns I wanted to have. At one point I realized that there was no way I could know and be proficient with all the guns I had. Quite a few 1911's, but many more S&W revolvers. Over the last couple of years I've thinned the 1911's somewhat and thinned the revolver herd quite a bit. Still have another dozen or so I could happily live without and will probably sell this year. I'm at that stage in life where I want to get rid of stuff more than I want to accumulate stuff! Got too much stuff... But I've made excellent headway recently in getting rid of a lifetimes worth of stuff. Now I like to travel most of the year, so having a lot of stuff has become unimportant.
Sounds good.

I'm not at that stage yet, but I'm sure I will be at some point later in life. It certainly makes sense.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:49 AM   #137
Texshooter

1 reason - I shoot it better than any pistol I have ever owned.

Other things I like - fits my hand, good caliber, straight back trigger pull, at least 2 affirmative safeties, looks classy, has served our Republic heroically.

JMB.
Old January 4, 2013, 01:17 PM   #138
bikerbill

Ergonomics ... big bullet ... reasonable recoil ... accurate ... IMHO best handgun ever ...
Old January 4, 2013, 11:42 PM   #139
reticle

Old September 3, 2013, 05:23 PM   #140
Babychief

1911 love VS GLOCK

Im compete in USCA TWOGUN and i am a P.S.C., so my job/life depends on my firearm. I do own two GLOCKS 17C and a 19.
A glock is like a TOYOTA SUPRA twin turbo, not a very new design but no vintage like a 1911, it performs extremely well and is reliable under almost all conditions

A 1911 is a chevelle or hemi cuda, it doesnt have the capacity of newer firearms, but you can use the aftermarket to increase the capacity as well as other features to make it perform at almost any level of sport/combat shooting, howver at usually a hefty privce tag. If you like tinkering with a dremel and constantly maintaining your 1911(muscle car) than it is your personal preference. If your wallet is your priority and you dont know how/dont care how to disassemble a 1911 or dont want to spend the extra cash, dont buy one. My 1988 colt is at well over $1,200.

A $500 glock is going to run better typically than a $500 1911. You dont need to be a fan of JAMES YEAGER(tactical reponse) to agree with that statement.
Recently i found an exception: IVER JOHNSON EAGLE
It has better fit and finish than my COLT/kimber, MORE FEATURES and was $550 NEW!! I have had no FTE or FTFs. I had the plastic case hinge crack and IVER JOHNSON responded in 1day and replaced the entire pistol case FREE/FREE shipping as well. Ive never had such AWESOME customer service from any of my higher end 1911 companies. I bought extended slide catch from a famous 1911 performance company and it didnt work with the COLT split foot mags it would stay in battery. I havent had any issues with the IVER JOHNSON mags at all.
Coming from someone who owns glocks and highend 1911s i dont impress easy.ive owned a CZ40B,xdm and others. Nothing says americana better than 1911s,baseball and american muscle cars.
If you are a blue collar guy looking to spend $550 or less on a 1911, i would endorse IVER JOHNSON.
If you have $1,000 i would buy an older used COLT or the old all steel ROCK RIVER (not rock island) 1911s, the ROCK RIVERs were LES BAER quality.
If you have $3k i would say NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM OR STI. If i was using a gun for soley competiton i think the TANFOGLIO GOLD out of the box is EPIC!

However my e.d.c. Is a 1988 COLT MKIV SERIES80 officer in .45acp.

My Full size 1911 IVER JOHNSON EAGLE (plenty of goodies for a great price $550)

1923 COLT 1911 custom

COLT officer

CZ40B not a 1911 but...

Last edited by Babychief; September 3, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old September 4, 2013, 10:46 PM   #141
Viper1357

Got this Sig 1911 Stainless last winter. That was the first time I shot it. I've taken it to the range in all weather now up to this date, with multiple different ammo loads, different magazines, and not a single malf so far.

That's one reason I like this 1911. I have a couple Colts as well, but liking them goes without saying.....

Old September 21, 2013, 07:56 PM   #142
SFsc616171

re: 1911

1. It's a brainchild of a great American, who did it all without any 'government assistance', John Moses Browning.

2. It is an American icon, proven in the American West by American GI's and banditos alike. (The Wild Bunch was NOT just a movie!)

3. It is the very pistol of Sgt. Alvin York, WW1.

4. It has been proven by many American GI's, in many places, separate from major wars.

5. It is NOT a piece of antiquity, as some judge, because it is a single-stack magazine, but has been a workhorse.

6. It is the auto-pistol, that the USMC has chosen to return to, after years of using an Italian-designed Beretta, this year.
Old September 21, 2013, 11:59 PM   #143
DHart

Just adding some pics for fun... sure do love the 1911

The Wiley Clapp Commander

Plain Jane Commander (I only installed short trigger, arched MSH, and grips)

A Ned Christiansen Custom Masterpiece built on a blued Colt ORM 1991. (I asked him to remove the ORM on the slide.)

I love them all, but honestly, the plain jane blued Commander, above, is just as sweet as any of them, to me. No need to spend several thousands of dollars to get an awesome 1911... a grand or so will do ya!

After Ned built the amazing bobbed Commander for me (shown above) I actually missed the plain jane blued Commander that I had sent to him. That's why I purchased the plain jane blued 1991A1 Commander above... to replace the stock model that Ned customized for me. That's how great the stock Colt 1911s are. When you get one magnificently customized, you just might miss the original version! So... buy TWO!

Last edited by DHart; September 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old September 22, 2013, 12:55 PM   #144
reticle

Old September 22, 2013, 05:02 PM   #145
Babychief

Grizzly...wiley clapp

I love the stocks on that wiley clap are they G-10 micarta? Who makes them?
ned christiansen bobtail commander, dehorned.
Would you be open to me making you an offer on it?
PM me if you want to sell it at any point. I was going with an ed brown custom of one of my officers for that exact look

What is that DETONICS looking 1911 ??a GRIZZLY Win MAG????
Do you currently own that GRIZZLY, how does it shoot? Muzzle flip? Felt recoil?
Im interested very different. I never like Detonics they looked so bulky at the backstrap like a rosanne barr of 1911s but they can RUN from what ive heard around the popcicle stand.

I would like to learn more about your GRIZZLY winny mag..ive never seen one in person

Last edited by Babychief; September 22, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old September 22, 2013, 05:30 PM   #146
DHart

Babychief... thanks for your comments.

The grips on the Wiley Clapp Commander are by VZ grips. I think they are Operators in Hyena Brown.

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911/o...yena-brown-g10

The Ned Christiansen Custom is a very special favorite of mine. Though I pretty much never shoot it, I'm not ready to part with it! But in time, all things must pass.
Old September 22, 2013, 05:42 PM   #147
Babychief

DHART

DHART

Just tell me what price that would encourage you to sell. Guesstimate?

My misses says i have to sell one before i can buy another because the safe is now full.

Let me know what you want for it,i just posted my semi custom COLT MKIV OFFICER on gunbroker (auction 367243353) today for cheap and i want a bobtail commander and im not waiting for an ed brown again.

Custom 1off G-10 stocks,ed brown fitted bushing,WC extended catch/beaver,matte black components,polished stainless slide,4.5lb trigger

Old September 22, 2013, 11:19 PM   #148
reticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babychief
What is that DETONICS looking 1911 ??a GRIZZLY Win MAG????
Do you currently own that GRIZZLY, how does it shoot? Muzzle flip? Felt recoil?
Im interested very different. I never like Detonics they looked so bulky at the backstrap like a rosanne barr of 1911s but they can RUN from what ive heard around the popcicle stand.

I would like to learn more about your GRIZZLY winny mag..ive never seen one in person
If you are referring to my pic, it is an LAR Grizzly in 45 win mag. I have owned it since the mid 90's I bought it for a little under 700.00 dollars. Since then I have collected all of the conversion kits for it. They are: 45 acp, 10mm, 357 mag, and 357/45 GWM. It shoots very reliably with a very tight fitment of parts. The recoil is muted a bit by the mass of the slide and resistance of the recoil spring. 45 win mag is a very powerful round that tosses a 260 grain projectile 1300+ fps. You should see what it does to a box of drywall compound.....Hasta lasagna, don't get any on ya. The muzzle flash lights up the range nicely too. If you ever find yourself in Northern Utah and want to take it for a spin, let me know.
Old September 22, 2013, 11:43 PM   #149
Babychief

Lars grizzly

Im not familiar,i always thought they were Detonics because of the girth.
Very cool though,im impressed..

The offer is open this way,if your ever in DAYTONA BEACH FL for bike week ill take you do a 15stage private gun club and i have a few dozen firearms we can make some noise with..also its a firearm friendly state so bring your grizzly.

Im always interested in shooting new designs i havent seen before.

Also would you consider selling that grizzly with all the conversion kits?
Old September 23, 2013, 10:17 AM   #150
reticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babychief
Im not familiar,i always thought they were Detonics because of the girth.
Very cool though,im impressed..

The offer is open this way,if your ever in DAYTONA BEACH FL for bike week ill take you do a 15stage private gun club and i have a few dozen firearms we can make some noise with..also its a firearm friendly state so bring your grizzly.

Im always interested in shooting new designs i havent seen before.

Also would you consider selling that grizzly with all the conversion kits?
I appreciate the offer. I love Florida. I suppose everything has a sale price, but I can't imagine anyone would be willing to pay what it would take to separate me from this gun. I really, really like it. Since it has been discontinued for close to 20 years, the conversion kits and the LAR branded holster are hard to come by. Magazines alone go for 150.00-ish on gunbroker and I have 16; three for each caliber conversion and 4 in 45 wm. The conversion kits go for 500.00+ each, but the most rare is the wildcat 357/45 GWM that I can't even comparatively value since I have only ever seen one.....mine. The guns equipped like mine go for 1500.00-2000.00 depending on the auction. Last time I saw an LAR holster sell in like new shape, it went for 200.00. You can see how fast it all adds up. Not even sure I'd sell at that price either.