The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1
scottd913

need help with possable worth of an old shotgun i inherited

i have a J.Stevens A&T sxs 12ga. shotgun that i received when my mother in law passed I'm trying to find out if it has any value before i do any thing with or to it.

it has external hammers and two triggers no serial numbers or markings of any kind other than it was made in mass.u.s.a. it appears to be very old but in good condition can anyone give me more information please.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
RJay

Stevens made a number of hammer shotguns, both box lock and sidelock, at least 6 different models starting in 1877. Pictures will be needed before any valid information can be given. Condition is every thing, one that looks like it just came out of the box will go for 550 to 650. one that is sound but only has maybe 20 percent of the finish left, maybe 200 to 250. If it is very " loose" then maybe 50. So with out more information it is a guess and by golly. Sorry about that, however if you plan on shooting it be sure and check the chambers length and use low pressure shells. I don't believe Stevens used damascus steel but check it anyway or have a gun smith check it out.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3
johnbt

The company name narrows down the time frame a little.

J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company, 1886-1915

Pictures are needed, but don't get your hopes up because they millions of guns.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
PetahW

IIRC, the earliest didn't have any model number - they were just the Stevens Double Shotgun.

Later on, the Models 225 & then the 235 hammergun was catalogued, the 235 as late as 1929, before they were discontinued in favor of making only hammerless model doubles.

While the sentimental value may be high, only specimens in exceptionally pristine condition would be valued at more than $100-$150.

Old May 27, 2012, 01:54 AM   #5
scottd913

having hard tim gettin pic's to load on this forum.
i really figure the gun wasnt the jackpot rare lotto winner really was thinking of cutting it down but if it were worth 300+ i was gonna trade it at the gun show next week so i could get more cool stuff for my newer stuff.
not like i need another long gun around here...running out of space and ya know ya never wanna hear ...honey its me or the guns!!
i would miss her so!
Old May 27, 2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Hawg

A gun show is not a place to try to trade. Those guys might give you 75.00 for it.