The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 14, 2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Old Stony

Testing a hog shield??

Maybe not too scientific, but I got a hairy bugger last night and decided to run sort of a test on his "shield". I started with .45 acp and worked my way down to .22 short.....everything went through without a problem. Granted the shield is just part of what a person needs to penetrate in that area to kill one...but the shield itself didn't offer much in the way of a problem to penetrate.
This hog went down with one shot from a .223 fmj through the neck with a frontal shot and it's head down eating.
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/st...e0e80.jpg.html
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/st...897e9.jpg.html
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/st...0d015.jpg.html
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/st...a4c40.jpg.html
Old March 14, 2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

I applaud the testing, but you left out some critical information, some of which I can surmise from the images some of the information but it is information that folks will use to say the test isn't valid or not particularly useful.

It would appear that the shield is no more than about 1" think on a juvenile boar. Typically, little guys of this size, hairy or not, are not the ones about which people are concerned for the shield being a problem. Also, since you pulled the shield and hair off for the testing, you have no idea what sort of penetration would have been attained. All you know is that the bullets had enough velocity to penetrate paper which may not be the same thing as penetrating to a depth to disrupt vital organs (though I suspect most would).

What your test does show is that the simple presence of a shield on a young and small boar certainly may not be significant ballistic protection.

I did some testing several years ago, for comparative purposes to this test. Eight layers of Kevlar did not stop a 9mm ball round, but 16 did. So the failure of the lessor amount does not negate the protective capability at thicker levels.

Bottom line, you also need a bigger (and older) hog and to measure penetration of the round(s) after shooting. Then measure the depth of the shield at the point of penetration. I don't normally carry multiple calibers with me, but next boar I shoot, I will test penetration with whatever sidearm and ammo I have and measure the shield as well.
Old March 14, 2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Old Stony

I understand that hanging the shield like I did wouldn't duplicate penetration sufficient to kill one. I just did it because I had some time on my hands to play with it. The boar was only about 200 lbs...maybe someday I'll get a little more scientific with a big one. I did figure out that it will blow enough fat onto the cardboard to make it difficult to write notes with a magic marker.
I was sort of surprised that a .22 short would go through it..but the other calibers didn't surprise me.
Old March 14, 2014, 08:06 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Seems to me that the incident angle of the bullet would come into play insofar as "impenetrability". Ninety degrees, right on through. Thirty degrees, maybe glance off.
Old March 17, 2014, 12:09 AM   #5
Scorch

Having seen and dealt with the "shield" or "armor" of bigger hogs with rifles, handguns, and arrows, I will agree that it is different than that on a smaller hog. That said, the bigger hogs are not generally as good to eat as younger ones, so for my hunting it would be a non-issue anyway. I will safely state this: any cartridge that is adequate for deer will put a hole in any hog's armor, so it a non-issue anyway. I have seen dozens of them flop over from rifles and handguns and muzzle-loaders. The shield is not bullet-proof, it is protection from other hogs' relatively sharp tusks.
Old March 17, 2014, 04:05 AM   #6
Old Stony

Well said Scorch...
Old March 17, 2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Saltydog235

Must have been low on testosterone or lacked cajones. The person wearing those red shoes must wear a size 20-25 if that is a 200lb pig. Where does he shop for his footwear, my son is going to have some big feet like that I think.
Old March 17, 2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Old Stony

Size 14's....and they are tough to find! At 6'5" and 250 lbs. a guy needs a firm foundation.
Old March 17, 2014, 09:25 AM   #9
mete

I've seen photos of shield 2" thick.Pigs also like to roll around in the mud so the fur may be packed with that ! Use a bullet heavy for the caliber and heavy construction !