The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2001, 08:55 AM   #1
vanfunk

Hi folks. I just bought a Winchester 101, 30" barrels, choked IM and F, to use primarily for trap. It is in approximately 95% condition. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it seems to fit me well. I'm interested in hearing from those who own or have owned 101's, with regard to the fit and function of the piece, and general level of satisfaction. How does the 101 stack up against the equivalent Brownings and Berettas? Any particlar strengths/weaknesses come to mind?
Thanks in advance for your help.
vanfunk
Old January 14, 2001, 09:57 AM   #2
PJR

A couple of the better trapshooters I know (those would be the ones that beat me decisively) shoot 101s. They are IIRC a derivation of the Browning locking action with a mechanical trigger. Good solid guns and certainly in the same league, if not better, than comparable Browning Citoris and Berettas.

They were made in Japan by Olin Kodensha. Winchester discontinued them in the late 80's and importation was picked up by a company called Classic Doubles which brought them in for a few years after.
Old January 14, 2001, 07:33 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Used to see lots of them at shoots, and am inclined to think that the fashion moved on rather than the design was found wanting. Unless your shotgun has had many thousands of rounds through it already, it should serve you well.
Old January 15, 2001, 06:37 AM   #4
Espresso

I have two 101 Lightweights. One each in 20 & 12 bore. They are not bad at all for range guns. I use the 20 as a loaner or back-up to my game gun. I find the 12 bore a bit too heavy for the field. If you are going to use your gun as a dedicated trap gun and is still good and tight, I suggest you have Briley install choke tubes. I wouldn't spend much more than this on your gun. If you become a serious trap shooter there are better guns out there. If you really fancy Winchester 101s a trap model can still be resonably easy to find in the $2000~$3000+ range depending if it's an over single, double, or a unsingle combination set.

Winchester has a new version of the gun. Although at this time it's only available in a field or sporting clays configuration. The triggers are recoil, not mechanical and it's locking action resembles more the Beretta than your gun.
Old January 15, 2001, 07:38 AM   #5
vanfunk

Thanks!

Thank you all very much for your assistance. My 101 is still nice and tight, with just a little honest wear and tear on the wood. I think I would prefer a recoil operated trigger- the mechanical one on the 101 has quite a bit of overtravel. It seems as though I did well with my $700.

Espresso- the new Winchester you mentioned- is that the "Supreme"? I am interested in the field version, but haven't seen one for sale yet. Are they out on dealer shelves, or do they have to be special ordered?
vanfunk
Old January 16, 2001, 12:38 AM   #6
Espresso

vanfunk,

I haven't examined one yet. My info comes from the write ups in the gun rags and the Winchester catalogue. I tend to agree with you on the trigger.

The one advantage with mechanical triggers is if you have a squib load or other sort of ammo failure the solution is to pull the trigger again. Of course this is useful only on the hunt and not on the range.
Old January 17, 2001, 02:51 PM   #7
mcshot

101s

I had the trap model with 32 inch tubes and regret the day I sold it. I now have two Diamond Grades. They are great guns. I understand that after 125,000 rounds they should be repinned and they are ready for another 125,000.