The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
precision_shooter

Chronographs...

Searched, but didn't find much.

I'm in need of a Chronograph and there seem to be a lot of different brands and models to choose from. What chronograph are you using or would reccomend.

More importantly, which ones would you stay away from?

I've been looking at the Shooting Chrony Beta or Beta Master, but reviews seem to be all over the place.

Thanks for any input/help.

PS
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 23, 2013, 09:48 AM   #2
rduckwor

Buy a shooting chrony. They're inexpensive and eventually, you or a buddy will put a bullet into it.
Old September 23, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
WIL TERRY

HANDS DOWN, OEHLER !!! All the rest are tinker toys.
Old September 23, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
zplinker

Bought my first Oehler in the late 70's, now have had the model 35P for over 20 years, and it is first rate. Another case of you get what you pay for.
Old September 23, 2013, 11:59 AM   #5
cryogenic419

I've had a Shooting Chrony Beta Master for a few years now. I think it does quite well in the sensing velocity department. I take the numbers it gives me, punch them into my ballistic calculation program and its always dead on when I shoot the target, so I am going to assume its reading the velocity correctly. My only real complaints are this, accessing the features/menus built into the thing are kind of a pain, surely there has got to be a simpler way. Wireless capabilities would be nice as this thing uses what appears to be an ancient archaic telephone cord to transmit the data from the sensors to the readout/system brains box. I dread the day this cord goes out and I try to find another.
Old September 23, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Nathan

My shooting chrony does a fine job of giving me velocity and statistics on a single string. I use an alpha master. The master is worth it to put the remote at your finger tips.
Old September 23, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
jepp2

I use a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master with the ballistic printer.

I have been very pleased with it. The ONLY time I miss any readings is when I have a low sun angle that shines on the sensors. If you shade the sun you will never miss a shot. I normally shoot with a clear blue sky. That is less than ideal conditions.

Having the readout on the bench and being able to forget a shot, clear a string, or whatever is available right where you want it. I like having the printer to print the string and statistics then just staple them to the target. Once I have it set up I don't need to go back to it until the end of the range session.

Since I haven't used others, I have no way of knowing if the same sun conditions would cause them problems or not. But I would think it would.

I understand the wide difference in reviews on chronos. Makes it more challenging to pick the right one.
Old September 23, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
precision_shooter

I'm liking the portability of the Shooting Chrony and I would definitely get the master version as I am limited to a public range and walking past the firing line to read my velocities is a no no except every 20 mins during the cease fire.

The price is not bad either...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 23, 2013, 03:33 PM   #9
BillM

CED Millenium II from Shooters Connection. Buy once cry once.
Old September 23, 2013, 03:49 PM   #10
RickB

I have the Alpha Chrony, and have been very pleased with it. Not a lot of features, but I like the simplicity.
Old September 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #11
wogpotter

P.A.C.T.
I've had one of the older model 1s for decades & its never missed a beat.
When you (or your friend) shewts the screens they are dirt cheap to replace, like about 2.00 per, or 8.00 for a set of shade extensions.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #12
*NOVA*

Alpha Master - I bought it because I thought it had the right amount of features at the right pirce.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
precision_shooter

I like the looks of the CED 2 and the fact you don't have to string wires/cables across the ground. It's not much more than the Beta Master either... will do some more research on it, but I like what i'm seeing so far.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Lucas McCain

The CED 2 does have cables that connect the screens to the processor.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:41 PM   #15
precision_shooter

Dang, got all excited thinking it was all wireless... Still looks like a better user interface than the Shooting Chrony.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:52 PM   #16
BillM

Nice thing about the CED is that the parts in the line of fire are relatively cheap to replace. The control box is right in front of you, and it will interface
with your laptop and has a lot of functions built in. I pretty much just use mine
for working up loads for my USPSA guns---and one of the reasons I bought it
is that you only see ONE chrono at the chrono station at major USPSA
matches---the CED Millenium II.
Old September 23, 2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Kimber84

Chronographs...

I have a chrony as well, for what it costs I'm certainly happy with it. I feel like I use it on a regular enough of a basis, but I really can't see needing the interface to be much simpler to use.

I suppose in the world of touch screen phones it seems antiquated, but it gives you the data you need quickly and concisely.
Old September 23, 2013, 05:20 PM   #18
hooligan1

I just bought a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital, haven't shot over it yet but it's a necessity if your a serious handloader it's pretty helpful I'd say.. but stay tuned?!
Old September 23, 2013, 07:23 PM   #19
jepp2

Quote:
Dang, got all excited thinking it was all wireless... Still looks like a better user interface than the Shooting Chrony.
Not sure I would see wireless as having an advantage over wired. I see the "disadvantage" of a wired connection as none.

I cannot disagree the manual for the Shooting Chrony to leave something to be desired. But I have to really ask, did you read the computer manual before using your new computer? It is so intuitive that I don't see the manual quality to be a factor.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #20

The Pro Chrono is a very good one for the money and Midway runs them on sale for $100. There is logic in buying a chrono with seperate skyscreens so that if you happen to shoot them, you don't destroy the entire unit. Since I do my chrono work from a rested position on a bench, I don't much worry about that. Competition Electronics recommend that you set the chrono so that you're firing at 2/3rds above the unit. There are remote accessories if you need them and the Pro Chrono is used quite a bit for testing loads for competition. If you want the best, buy an Oehler. If you want the best value $ for $, buy the Pro Chrono. You might want to look at the reviews on various chrono's at Midway's website.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Doc Hoy

This is going read like sacrilege

But I had two Shooting Chronys and I found them too finicky to work with black powder revolvers. I tried every combination of distance from the muzzle, screens/no screens and I simply could not get them to give me good performance reliably. I even sent one of them back for the 38.00 rehab. No change whatever. I don't use wads most of the time but there was still enough stuff coming from the muzzle (apparently even out to fifteen feet) that I could not get a reliable velocity reading ever.

I moved over the the Millenium 2 from CED and I don't regret it. Good credible readings reliably for BP cap and ball and BP cartridge from pistol and rifle.

I have made this statement about a half dozen times and it always generates some negative responses from those who love their Shooting Chrony. Sorry guys....I'm just saying.

One of the nice things about the M2 is that if you happen to shoot the trap, they are cheap to replace. I shot one of mine (grazing impact) and it still works.

I shot the Shooting Chrony and the jar was enough to seal the deal. The wind took it and I hit the support rod for the screen right where it went into the chassis of the chrony. Took quite a good lick.

Had a battery lead break off and had to resolder the thing.
Old September 23, 2013, 08:09 PM   #22
Kimber84

Chronographs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy View Post
But I had two Shooting Chronys and I found them too finicky to work with black powder revolvers. I tried every combination of distance from the muzzle, screens/no screens and I simply could not get them to give me good performance reliably. I even sent one of them back for the 38.00 rehab. No change whatever. I don't use wads most of the time but there was still enough stuff coming from the muzzle (apparently even out to fifteen feet) that I could not get a reliable velocity reading ever.

I moved over the the Millenium 2 from CED and I don't regret it. Good credible readings reliably for BP cap and ball and BP cartridge from pistol and rifle.

I have made this statement about a half dozen times and it always generates some negative responses from those who love their Shooting Chrony. Sorry guys....I'm just saying.

One of the nice things about the M2 is that if you happen to shoot the trap, they are cheap to replace. I shot one of mine (grazing impact) and it still works.

I shot the Shooting Chrony and the jar was enough to seal the deal. The wind took it and I hit the support rod for the screen right where it went into the chassis of the chrony. Took quite a good lick.

Had a battery lead break off and had to resolder the thing.
I can believe that BP might give it some trouble. Only thing I've ever had issues getting a reading on was a .22 LR... Go figure, but I was just messing around testing it.

I did blow the screens clean off one day from the muzzle blast of my 06'... I think I was slowly jarring them loose. When they finally went I thought I blew it to pieces, but that's all it was.

I've found that even if I don't use the screens I will place one rod in on each side, I then run the zoom down on my scope to bare min. This allows me to line the horizontal of the reticle up with the brass ends on the rod. Doing this allows me to visually see that I've fully cleared the flight path of the bullet. I've never had a misread doing this.
Old September 24, 2013, 07:14 AM   #23
Doc Hoy

Kimber

As crazy as it seems, the best performance I had from either of the F1s was with a .177 air rifle. RWS Dianna. Got 500 to 600 fps readings consistently.

It tells me that the F1 has a sensitivity which exceeds that of the CED M2.

My thought is that it would be easy for the designer to make the sensitivity adjustable. This might be a good user feature.

In addition, perhaps a light screen over the optics would reduce the effect of the BP stuff.

Something like a section of nylon stocking or something stretched over the optics.

I realize that this idea is purely academic since nearly everyone else (besides me) who has used the Shooting Chrony, likes it.
Old September 24, 2013, 08:07 AM   #24
Jim Watson

I now have the CE Pro Digital with remote control.
I have shot over three different model Oehlers, a couple of PACTs, a Chrony, and a CED.
The CE has the largest "window" of any and better detection than any but the latest Oehler. It does have the risks of a "brain" downrange, but you just have to be careful. I grazed a diffuser but did not break it.

I still have the CED and think it can be cleaned up to work after the fire.
It has a lot of bells and whistles but I had to get the IR illuminators for it to get decent detection. A more expensive package than any but Oehler.

The Magnetospeed is interesting. It straps to the barrel of the gun and looks kind of like a bayonet. Not affected by lighting and not requiring you to walk in front of the firing line, which busy ranges object to. Can't use it on an autopistol, though.
Old September 24, 2013, 08:34 AM   #25
hdbiker

I've had my Beta Shooting Chrony for about 12 years and used it a lot. It has always given me trouble on bright days when the sun is high. Either a error message or no reading at all. I'm almost glad I nicked the sun screen support with a shot from my .243 and now its dead. I'm shoping for a differant modle now and it won't be a Shooting Chrony. hdbiker