The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 19, 2004, 01:16 PM   #1
mvpel

Wintertime concealment?

I moved to New Hampshire less than a year ago, so this is a new issue for me, in more ways than one.

I'm interested in anyone's suggestions on wintertime concealment methods that balance accessibility with concealment - I'm thinking about trying to reach my pistol in my SmartCarry holster underneath my coat, a sweater, and so on, and not liking the scenario very much.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old October 19, 2004, 02:29 PM   #2
AK103K

I guess a lot has to do with how your dressing for the day. Do you just need the coat to get to the car and then take it off once you get to where your going, or are you dressed to be outside all day? How about another pistol in an outside pocket on your coat? Or perhaps just snapping or using the velcro to close the coat instead of zipping it. I work outside all day and usually just wear a sweatshirt over a turtleneck with either a pull over windbreaker or a parka shell which I dont zip, but just snap shut. With the parka I can just pull the snaps open, clear the coat, and sweatshirt in pretty much one sweeping motion. With the windbreaker, I just lift both together as if they were one. What ever you choose you just need to practice it until its comfortable and smooth for you.
Old October 19, 2004, 02:37 PM   #3
Arc Angel

That's because your instincts are only too correct! More than any other time of year, wintertime necessitates the use of an outside pocket gun – a BUG! In addition to my belt gun I, also, carry a Beretta, ‘Alley Cat’ inside a horsehide Galco pocket holster. At other times of year the Beretta is inside my left-front pants pocket. During the Winter I switch it to an outside left coat pocket which is, by the way, also where my left hand usually rests. (When my coat comes off, I'll turn sideways and palm the holstered piece. Into a left-front pants pocket it goes.)

There are advantages to doing things this way. I've discovered that even, 'seasoned' gunmen don't expect trouble from the left side. I do a lot of left-hand practice, too; so it really doesn’t matter which hand I draw with. I’ve long had the custom of making a pistol available to either hand when I carry – Which is more of the time, now, rather than less!
Old October 19, 2004, 04:07 PM   #4
Darkangel

My Parka used to have a through pocket....I could put my hand through to the inside of my coat where my hip cannon was located. The other opition is a High Cap pocket gun for quick access. You need awareness training though. Once again JMHO.
Old October 19, 2004, 04:29 PM   #5
Arc Angel

Hmmm! Does anybody hear the beating of fluttering angel wings?

Quote:
My Parka used to have a through pocket....I could put my hand through to the inside of my coat where my hip cannon was located.
You are, obviously, one very sneaky fellow! Now I’m going to have to ask my tailor to cut up the pockets on all my coats.
Old October 19, 2004, 05:06 PM   #6
Quartus

Better watch that "fluttering wing" business around here, gents. Somebody's likely to cut loose with some dove loads!

I have a parka that has pass through pockets. I know I could drag iron out that way, but I don't think I'd be fast at it. Dark - how handy is that set-up?

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old October 30, 2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Mannlicher

Sure is easier then summer time

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 6, 2004, 05:24 PM   #8
joerng

compacts are great

i have seen a strydex plyable cloth holster sewn into the inside of a jacket before. not sure how it worked but it looked cool... it would have to be your heavey coat to support the wait of the gun. a springfield ultra compact would fit nicely i think. or even a snub nose revolver would go well if you rather the feel of it. thanks.. joe.
Old November 8, 2004, 05:32 PM   #9
Bulldozer

crossdraw holsters really come into their own in a winter wardrobe. Much easier to just lift sweater or coat front than have to dig up the whole shebang for a regular IWB. Also, a lightweight 38 snub in the coat pocket works wonders....
Old November 8, 2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Ignition

a kel-tec 32 would be nice for a pocket gun in this situation as a BUG. easily drawn and then while moving for cover in the cqb you may have the chance of drawing your sidearm.

with winter conditions working on firing weak and strong hand because there isnt always the ease of drawing with layers of clothes. then again you should do that no matter the season

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old December 2, 2004, 02:03 AM   #11
CAGoatee

Winter Time Concealment

mvpel,

If you take Arc Angel's, Dark Angel's, & Bulldozer's suggestions, and put them together, and/or stir them and mix gently, you'll come up with good solutions. But over all, simple ideas; and situational awareness, usually work wonders. Bulldozer suggesting simple access like, lifting up a sweater or jacket, is a prime example.

In the cold weather that you'll be in, you have a lot of carrying options; because of clothing layers, and of course those "options" are tempered by your necessities. Meaning, is your secreted 'piece' just a comforter (as in, I just feel better carrying concealed), or do you expect to be 'reaching for it' on a fairly regular basis? The answer to those two questions will dictate placement and speed of access. On the other hand, if concealment is paramount, then speed will suffer, but more than likely no one will now you're 'carrying' either.

"Those who ignore history, are doomed to repeat it." (Anon.)

Last edited by CAGoatee; December 3, 2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old December 2, 2004, 05:55 PM   #12
Barry in IN

Whatever you do- practice with each combination of clothing, coat, and holster. It's not always as simple as just adding a coat.

Luckily for me, I usually carry IWB, under an untucked shirt year-round. The mechanics of a wintertime draw are similar to how it works with most coats I use.

I have several coats that I use depending on- how cold it is, wind, rain, dressed up, dressed down, etc. Most have their own advantages or disadvantages for carry. The shape, length, material, and more, matter.

You will notice all the little things.
One may cover the gun well, but not clear it easily to draw.
Some "swing" open easier than I can push them back, like I usually do.
The lining of one may catch on the thumb safety, and move it.

Long coats may hide the gun better if you will bend over a lot. That one is obvious. But if you will be reaching up high, thay are nice then also. When you reach, your coat raises, possibly exposing the gun then also. When grocery shopping, I find that I'm getting things from bottom shelves, top shelves, and in between. A long coat is nice there.
But long coats are a pain if you spend much time sitting down while wearing it. You will probably be sitting on it, and that will make it hard to open it to access the gun.

If you won't be bending or reaching much, a shorter jacket-length works well. I try to avoid elastic waists on them, as that can pull the coat's bottom in the way of the grip.

Snaps can work better than zippers sometimes. You can leave a couple of snaps open to provide access to draw. Be careful- they can get "re-snapped" on you.
Longer coats often have the zipper than can open from the bottom as well as the top. You can zip the bottom one up to allow gun access, but the zipper will creep down.

I know a lot of that may not apply to the SmartCarry, but the point is- You may have to try out a lot of coat/holster combos to find something that works for you.
Old December 5, 2004, 09:05 AM   #13
Brian D.

I carry in typical IWB or OWB mode at the 4:00 (or so) position, which is pretty common. One thing I've learned to do with all my coats is get rid of any inside drawstrings; never use 'em anyhow, and they can hang up a draw in a most unpleasant way.
Old December 6, 2004, 02:27 PM   #14
warhammer357

For whatever reason I put on a shoulder rig today.
I am wearing it over a t shirt and under a flannel shirt under my jacket.
I had forgotten just how aggravating shoulder rigs are when worn for considerable periods of time.
I think tomorrow I am breaking out the winter coat or he thick winter vest with big pockets and sticking my piece inside one of them again.
On Saturday, I wore a 3 inch K frame all day under the same shirt on a belt slide rig. Much, much more comfortable.
Old December 6, 2004, 04:31 PM   #15
Black_Snowman

I have a RAMI in an HBE pocket holster that works well drawing from one of my coat pockets and 2 spare mags in the opposite pocket balence it out nicely.

I have a nice long coat that conceals well and makes drawing a cursing contest. So the backup becomes the primary while I'm wearing the coat. If the coat is open I can reach the IWB at 4:00 just fine.
Old December 7, 2004, 08:49 AM   #16
eka

Warhammer,

One of the things I thought about when wearing a shoulder rig is when you find yourself under stress and having to draw your pistol, you will go to where you normally wear the pistol. 99% of the time I wear my pistol on my belt in the winter. I'm almost 100% sure if I needed my pistol in a hurry, I would go to my belt first and not find it. That could be costly. My shoulder rig is an issued holster for work along with a standard holster. Just to provide options in different operations. I have found the shoulder rig very uncomfortable and annoying. I think a Sig P220 is probably a little big for that type of rig anyway. Something a little smaller would probably work a little better. I just don't wear it enough for it to become second nature. Therefore, I stay away from it for safety reasons.

Sic Semper Tyrannis