The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2001, 08:04 PM   #1
banjobart

Does any company out there make or weld up REM mag extensions that hold six or seven extra shells?
Old March 7, 2001, 06:45 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Choate and possibly others make a 9+1 extension, runs about the same length as a 28" bbl.

I've seen and shot an 1100 done like this, with other mods. It was an area saturation weapon with 00....
Old March 7, 2001, 11:43 AM   #3
Intel6

I have 10 and 12 shot magazine extensions for my 1100. There was a guy who made sopme 15 rounders and I am working on one of those also. These days you can only find the 10 round mag extension because the longer ones can't be made becasue of the magazine ban.
Old March 7, 2001, 12:55 PM   #4
Bruegger

Intel6 - the magazine ban extends only to detachable magazines.
Old March 7, 2001, 05:20 PM   #5
Intel6

My mistake, probably better to say "assault weapons ban."

Producing a magazine that gives a "weapon on the list" more than 10 rounds is a no go. Semi-auto shotguns were included on the list so any more than a 10 round extension is illegal to make.
Old March 8, 2001, 09:14 PM   #6
banjobart

Thanks, I have a Choate +5 extension so the mag tube holds ten total plus one up the spout. I thought that a shotgun would be exempt as a lever action rifle with a tubular magazine is exempt, but I guess not. It would appear that the 12th. round is verboten, too deadly.
Old March 8, 2001, 10:34 PM   #7
pepemarine

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO CARRY ONE OF THESE FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES?

WHEN AFIELD I´VE CARRIED THE 8+1 BUT HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO REALISTICALLY SHOOT A DUCK WITH 5 ROUND AND STILL HAVE IT WITHIN RANGE?

NOW I KNOW THAT YOU GRINGOS LIKE IT "THE BIGGER THE BETTER"

I BET THAT YOU HAVE THAT SHOTGUN RREADY TO FIRE IN YOUR CLOSET. AM I RIGHT?
Old March 9, 2001, 09:20 AM   #8
banjobart

Ducks? It's illegal to have more than three shells in the gun for migratory waterfowl.

I shoot the gun during 3-Gun IPSC matches at steel targets. It's unloaded and locked in the safe otherwise.

I wouldn't go duck hunting if you paid me. I may catch a cold. I have taken out a couple of Frigidaires at the old farmer's dump, however.
Old March 9, 2001, 12:13 PM   #9
Intel6

First off pepemarine, take off the caps key and learn to use the shift key properly.

Second, who said anything about hunting? As banjobart already said, can't legally use more than 3 round in the mag while hunting.

Why are you trying to inject your opinions in this thread anyway. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, don't bother saying anything. Especially when it is based on assumptions that you seem to have made with no apparant basis?

Just as no mention was made about hunting, there was also no mention made about deffensive use? No I do not use a 12 shot SG for home defense, I use a Vang comped 11-87 Police with MMC ghost ring sight. Does this look more like a defensive SG?

The type of SG's we are talking about are used in sporting competitions. Just like banjobart does, I also shoot 3 gun matches where SG's of these type are very common. Yes they are un-weildy for any other use but for their intended purpose, they are the best tool for the job.

Banjobart,

The 10 rd. extension is as big as you can go these days. There are 12 and 15 rd. extensions floating around but you have to find someone who is selling them and when you do they are $100+. Choat once made 12 rd. extensions and I got mine from a guy who bought all they ahd left years ago and was sitting on them. He needed some $ and decided to sell them. There was a gunsmith who made a batch od 15 rd. extensions years ago and I am working on trying to get one of them also. I don't always use the 12 rounder, since it makes the SG longer, I only put it on when having it makes sense.

Here is a pic (sorry about the quality) of my 1100 with a 28" barrel and the 12 round extension installed.

Old March 9, 2001, 12:52 PM   #10
Bruegger

Intel6 - how easy are the magazine extensions to take on and off? I have just a plain old 1100 with a plug on the end. I've thought about buying a two or three round extension to go with a 21" rifle sighted bbl, but I'm pretty sure the gun won't fit into its fitted case with an extension on (it goes in after being broken down).
Old March 9, 2001, 01:14 PM   #11
Intel6

They are not that hard to deal with once you get the hang of it. The biggest thing is dealing with the longer spring since it is not captured. I frequently change my mag extensions and when I clean the SG I have to deal with it also.

The +2 extension is good for 18" barrels and you can use the +3 with a 21" barrel. Since the extension won't extend past the end of the barrel, if it won't fit in with the barrel then the extension won't make it any worse.