The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
rem44m

Looking down the barrel of a loaded gun??

I'm speechless. This is a pic someone posted in an online ad to sell a Glock 36 in my home state. I can't believe anyone would willingly look down the barrel of a loaded gun, especially with what appears to be his thumb in front of the trigger! DON'T DO THIS!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Private ad seller being unbelievable idiot.jpg (11.8 KB, 670 views)

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"

Last edited by Tom Servo; December 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:14 AM   #2
BarryLee

Scary! Of course he could have held the camera in front of the gun without placing his head out there, but still a little unwise.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 6, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
SRH78

Stupidity knows no bounds.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:26 AM   #4
45_auto

What makes you think he was looking down the barrel? It would be easy to make the same picture by just holding a camera in front of the gun, or taking the pic with the gun pointed at a mirror.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
dahermit

Camera, Camera, "looking" down the barrel...not a person. Try not to over-react.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
coldbeer

Agreed, it looks like the camera was looking down the barrel. You guys need to relax instead of attacking someone without knowing the facts. Going through the trouble of making a post without knowing the facts just makes it seem like you're looking for a conflict in order to make yourself look more knowledgeable.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

The old rule "Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy" seems to apply here. Camera, hand, whatever is behind the camera, etc., etc. It is stupid, and the responses are not overreactions. If you could see the firing pin hole, that would be a different matter altogether.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:38 AM   #8
9mm

Maybe he's a reloader, putten a dummy round with a real bullet head in there? no powered/primer?.... What a moron, is his thumb in the finger grove?
Old December 6, 2012, 11:39 AM   #9
SRH78

I agree it that most likely his face is not directly in front of the muzzle. It wouldn't surprise me if it was though. Regardless, that is not a safe way to handle a loaded firearm and there is no excuse for unsafe handling of a firearm.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Mystro

X2....Its America and I support his right to shoot his camera or hand. May be a dummy round, its his buisness?? Who knows?? Personal Responsibility. Tired of everyone treating adults like a 3year old. The safety check on all the YouTube videos has also gotten way overboard. If its my gun, its my responsibility if it is loaded or not and dont owe anyone a free check.

Quote:
Camera, Camera, "looking" down the barrel...not a person. Try not to over-react ladies.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; December 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Sharpsdressed Man

Isn't it funny how we preach that guns don't go off by themselves, that someone has to have their finger on the trigger? Then, on the other hand, we get all cranked out of shape when a gun gets pointed at someone, with NO finger on the trigger? Somewhere in the middle of those two things lies compromise, discretion, understanding, tolerance, and truth.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:53 PM   #12
MLeake

Since you can see the skin of his thumb below the trigger guard, his thumb is not inside the trigger guard. It's probably up into the undercut area at the back of the guard, by the frontstrap of the grip.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:09 PM   #13
rem44m

Code:
Camera, Camera, "looking" down the barrel...not a person. Try not to over-react ladies.
Maybe your right, I just thought of how I myself would take the picture, my head would be right behind the camera.

However, I would imagine your hand would still have to be behind the camera.

All said, I think it's a cool picture.

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old December 6, 2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

easily done with a mirror, & some cropping of the pic
Old December 6, 2012, 01:49 PM   #15
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
However, I would imagine your hand would still have to be behind the camera.
Simple little setting called "timer". Can also be done, as previously mentioned, with mirrors, and there is always Photoshop. As mentioned above, could be dummy rounds/reloaded.

What exactly is wrong with this picture? Does this promote "unsafe" gun handling?

I am all for being an ambassador concerning firearm ownership and usage, but really does this picture go against this, or is it just overreaction based in a bit of "too much pcness?"

One could argue that it is a good "safety reminder" of what lies within that "business end".

Now, go figure...
Old December 6, 2012, 02:55 PM   #16
wayneinFL

Quote:
The old rule "Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy" seems to apply here. Camera, hand, whatever is behind the camera, etc., etc. It is stupid, and the responses are not overreactions. If you could see the firing pin hole, that would be a different matter altogether.
You're not supposed to point an unloaded gun at anyone, either.

I just tried this with an unloaded gun and my phone. The direction was only unsafe for my iPhone, which already has a horrendously cracked screen. If you go by the NRA rules, the only one he's really breaking is "Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use."
Old December 6, 2012, 07:51 PM   #17
shafter

Pointing a loaded gun at your head is pretty stupid. Pointing a loaded gun at a camera however is completely different.

So many people freak out about firearm safety issues but don't think twice about walking in front of a stopped car at a crosswalk. Is there really a difference here? Both require pulling the trigger or stepping on the gas before anything bad can happen.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:32 PM   #18
marineman

I agree with most, his finger is not in the trigger guard and there's no way to verify that his head is behind the camera however it is tough to verify that you are getting the light reflection right to show the rifling without looking at the screen and the position of his hand on the gun unless he's a contortionist has it pointed in the general direction of his body/head.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:16 AM   #19
Redhawk5.5+P+

oh my God, it's the end of the World. I've done dummer things, but probably not with a gun. I guess.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:07 AM   #20
rayway

His thumb is behind the trigger guard thats why you see the bottom of his thumb. Im sure everyone wont admit to looking down a pistol or revolver and I don't think it matters its dumb.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:17 AM   #21
armsmaster270

That is why I use a camera with a remote shutter. My brother, an arson investigator is holding my Mod 19.

Old December 7, 2012, 03:12 AM   #22
warningshot

I didn't tell him to do that. And I'm not about to defend such an action. Oh look...his finger isn't in th....Bam!
Old December 7, 2012, 09:37 AM   #23
RedBowTies88

Actually its a really cool looking pic in my opinion.

Is that an aftermarket barrel? Looks like conventional rifleing
Old December 7, 2012, 10:57 AM   #24
oldgranpa

quote from somebody....
"you can't fix stupid!"
Old December 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #25
dayman

the viewfinder on my camera fold out, so you can take pictures at weird angles, so maybe he did that....
Regardless, I tend not to keep one in the chamber when I'm taking photos.