The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 16, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Drummer101

Obama's big idea

I something was going to be released today.

As far as I can tell these are them,

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ns_696121.html

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-16-11-58-33

Since when do doctors take classes or get educated on firearms?

Quote:
Instead of the government taking guns away it is the doctors.

 Protect the rights of health care providers to talk to their patients about gun safety: Doctors and other health care providers also need to be able to ask about firearms in their patients’ homes and safe storage of those firearms, especially if their patients show signs of certain mental illnesses or if they have a young child or mentally ill family member at home. Some have incorrectly claimed that language in the Affordable Care Act prohibits doctors from asking their patients about guns and gun safety. Medical groups also continue to fight against state laws attempting to ban doctors from asking these questions. The Administration will issue guidance clarifying that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit or otherwise regulate communication between doctors and patients, including about firearms.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Patriot86

My Doctor asks about my guns I will in a very nice manner change the subject. They push again and they will no longer be my doctor.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Drummer101

Kind of reminds me of the show House where House's doctors break into clients homes to really look around...

I have no problem of a doctor reminding someone if they have guns to make sure they are secure from say unstable family members/residence (not a bad reminder), but it should not be an issue as it should be like that in the first place.

If there are other releases on these new ideas that get put out later today please feel free to add them to this thread.

Edit:
New stuff:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...th-law/?page=1

Quote:
The entire list of the actions Mr. Obama is taking comprises:
1. Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rule-making to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate a new director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
12. Provide law enforcement, first-responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors from asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school-resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental-health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Education Secretary Arne Duncan on mental health.
1.) Okay, does not really change anything
2.) Okay
3.) Okay
4.) Was this not done before?
5.) Would they not do this before?
6.) Police station of FFL works just fine
7.) Good idea, but it will be bias
8.) My pistol sits on my night stand so I can get to it quick
9.) First real idea that might work, but I still wont register my guns
10.) Fine
11.) See who it is.
12.) About time
13.) The laws are already there
14.) Hello? You did not this of this before?
15.) I am already perfectly safe with my guns. I dont need or want a new tech to be in the way
16.) Asking fine, doing bad
17.) No real issues so long as it is case by case I think (not really sure)
18.) What are those?
19.) Already done at my schools atleast years ago
20.) What does this have to do with it?
21.) Not sure what this means
22.) Eh?
23.) So you can talk now?

Last edited by Drummer101; January 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
tulsamal

There was a question about guns in the home on a questionnaire I was supposed to fill out at my Doctor's office. The rest of it was standard medical background. I immediately went straight to anger. (Personality defect!) I actually wrote "None of your Business" on the line. I sort of regretted it afterwards... no real need to be rude... but they shouldn't have been asking me that in a medical setting!

Gregg
Old January 16, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer101
I have no problem of a doctor reminding someone if they have guns to make sure they are secure from say unstable family members/residence (not a bad reminder), but it should not be an issue as it should be like that in the first place.
My only issue is that the current Executive Actions really allude to healthcare professionals focusing on the gun ownership and potential instability of the owner. I too wouldn't mind doctors reminding parents in general, that if their children or other dependents have been seen for suicide ideations/attempts, mental health issues, etc. to ensure ANY potential weapons are removed or locked up. However, once you "deputize" doctors (nurses and social workers have been used in other reporting requirements), political agendas have a way to take front and center.

I can imagine a parent taking their child in for a broken arm. The story just doesn't sound right and the parent is now flagged as a potential threat if they own a firearm. Said, parent than gets their NICS background check denied because some doctor, social worker or nurse made a judgment call on reporting a potential threat...

How many veterans diagnosed with even mild PTSD will be denied their 2A rights? I wouldn't put it past this administration.

ROCK6
Old January 16, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Discussion is over in the General Discussion forum: POTUS to the mic NOW...
Closed Thread