The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 3, 2012, 09:49 AM   #1
les_

Are bushnell scopes good?

I want to buy a new scope and i have been looking at a few. And wonder if anybody has tried the bushnell trophy xlt in 3-9by 40 DOA 600. And what is youre opinion on it. Any opinions will be greatly apreciated thanks.
Old August 3, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Skadoosh

Good scope for the money. What are you putting it on?
Old August 3, 2012, 10:49 AM   #3
les_

On a tikka t3 lite in 270.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:25 AM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have a Bushnell Tactical Elite on my 50 bmg, and love it. My experience is know with Bushnell, you get what you pay for. They make some really great scopes, but also make some cheap-o's. The DOA's I have handled were really nice, especially considering the price...
Old August 3, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
math teacher

Many maufactures produce scopes in a range of quality and price. As stated above, you get what you pay for. In general cheap scopes are less dependable and have poored optics. I had a friend with a cheap Bushnell lose a deer because he was facing west as the sun was setting. Even though he was not aiming directly toward the sun, the scope whited out so that he could not see anything. Others have lost deer because they could not pick the them out in low light with cheap scopes. I believe in the old addage that if you must choose between a cheap rifle and a cheap scope, put a good scope on a cheap rifle. I have a Bushnell on one of my rifles, but it is not a cheap one.
Old August 3, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Doyle

The Trophy series is as low on their totum pole as I would ever go. Not nearly as good as their Elite series - but still acceptable for many applications. One of the problems you'll face with the lower end scopes of any manufacturer is the inability to handle recoil. A .270 (especially in a light-weight rifle) is no slouch in the felt-recoil department.
Old August 3, 2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Saltydog235

You bought a relatively nice rifle like a Tikka T3 and want to put a cheap piece of junk on it? I have some Elites that are fine scopes, equal or better than the Leupolds, Burris and others that I have but I wouldn't put on of those Trophy scopes on an air rifle. Save some money and put a decent peice of glass on that Tikka, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old August 3, 2012, 03:07 PM   #8
les_

thanks am looking at all options will keep looking i want a decent scope will keep asking about different ones. thanks
Old August 3, 2012, 03:26 PM   #9
CharlieDeltaJuliet

If it is an option, the Elite series are really nice. Here is a link to the scope I put on my 50. I could not be more happy. It is really built like a tank.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco.../Product/?n=19

If there are any questions I can help with feel free to ask. There are some fine choices for scopes though. I like the SWFA, Nikon, and a couple of Millet models too.
Old August 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #10
troopcom

Saltydog235 asked:
Quote:
You bought a relatively nice rifle like a Tikka T3 and want to put a cheap piece of junk on it?
I'm with Saltydog on this one. I purchased a cheaper rifle that the Tikka, a Rem. 700 in 25-06. When I spoke about a cheap Tasco, a buddy of mine had a fit. I couldn't afford a Leupold, so I opted for the Bushnell Elite. It is an outstanding scope for the money.(around $150.00+tax) Crystal clear and very consistent.
Old August 3, 2012, 05:58 PM   #11
warbirdlover

Super choice of rifle and caliber although I prefer the wood stock T3 Hunter series. And look at a Nikon scope before you buy anything.
Old August 3, 2012, 09:05 PM   #12
GeauxTide

Weaver or Redfield are a big step up for a few dollars more.
Old August 4, 2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Jack O'Conner

I mounted this Bushnell 1.5X-4.5X on two of my hunting rifles. Great optics and affordable, too!

Jack

Old August 10, 2012, 03:57 AM   #14
bamaranger

recently

I swore off Bushnells as soon as I could afford something else. But.....

Recently I bought a fixed 10x Bushnell Elite and put it on a .22 heavy barrel trainer. For that use, the fixed 10x has been a good scope.
Old August 10, 2012, 07:20 AM   #15
rebs

For about $160.00 look at the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 at Walmart.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

les_there is a carload of different scopes. And everyone one answering your thread has their preference. If I had my way I would mount a Swarovski or a Zeiss on everyone of my rifles. But I couldn't afford it plain and simple. So being practical I chose rational thinking to go by. There's an Old School Philosophy that States: Buy a scope equal or more in price to what was paid for the weapon. So I going by that theory. It's hello Leupold and to a good used Bushnell Korean Trophy. And good bye to Swarovski and Zeiss. Practice that philosophy and you won't go wrong in your section of a scope._
Old August 10, 2012, 12:12 PM   #17
kraigwy

Some are, some arn't.

I got one I tossed in the trash after about 2 weeks, it wouldn't hold a zero for crap.

Then, back in the late 60s maybe early 70s my brother bought a 3X9 Banner for his Argitina mauser. He set the eye relief too far back and got a nice half moon cut over his eye. I offered to set the eye relief for him but he didn't want anything to do with it and gave me the scope.

I had just bought a Ruger 77 in 7 RM and couldn't aford a good scope so I put my brother's Banner on the rifle. That was about 40 years ago, its still on the Ruger and still holds a zero. I don't have it now as I gave it to my son but its still has the orginal Bushnell Banner and still shoots.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 10, 2012, 02:44 PM   #18
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Usually the lower end Bushnells are not good. The Elites are really good IMHO. I own many scopes, with them, you basically get what you pay for. The Elites have a great warranty (lifetime). Mine tracks as good as any scope I own, including a USO. I bought it thinking the 50 would break it and I would just get it replaced. It has out lasted my expectations. I want no part of the lower end Bushnells, but and proud to own the Elite Tactical.
Old August 12, 2012, 01:03 AM   #19
bamaranger

60-70 Banners

+1 on Kraigs comment about early Banners.

My Dad (at my insistance) put a 4x Banner on my heirloom M88 Win in 1971. That dang scope is still on the M88 and I doubt I'll ever change it, unless it goes south.

It is not as bright as more modern optics, but it has held up very well.

But, several Bushnells I bought in the mid 80's, did not last long.
Old August 12, 2012, 01:20 AM   #20
les_

All of your advise was very helpfull thanks. I ended up buying a leupold vx-2 3-9x40 thanks guys.
Old August 12, 2012, 04:29 AM   #21
grandpajoe

Les, You'll love that Leupold. I got one back in the early 90's for a Ruger 77 30/06, it was (and still is) crystal clear and has held up to an lot of hard knocks through it's lifetime. Very good choice!
Old August 12, 2012, 10:37 PM   #22
les_

Thanks grandpajoe
Old August 13, 2012, 12:45 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I too, was taught by some sage ol' fellers that unless the rifle is a pricey custom job... expect to pay considerably more for the optics to get the best possible results in accuracy of the rifle and durability of the optic...

A buddy of mine let me use his .308 to shoot a hog under a tree in the middle of the night with less than half moon...

Thru the scope was actually brighter (in appearance to me anyway) than with my naked eye...

It was a mid shelf Lupold IIRC.... But it had a LARGE objective possibly a 50mm...

Brent
Old August 15, 2012, 01:54 PM   #24
1tfl

I have a 4200 series 3-9X40mm scope on my hunting rifle and it has performed great. Very clear and bright scope that has held it's zero.
Old August 16, 2012, 06:20 AM   #25
Kreyzhorse

I used a Bushnell Banner for several years and had no issues with it. It was clear, held zero well and pulled in a lot of light. The only reason I stopped using it was because it was a 6x14 (or maybe it was a 6x18) 50mm and i didnt need that much scope so I down sized to 3x9 40mm.

Don't get me wrong, there are better scopes out there, but the Bushnell is a good scope and should serve you well.