The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 21, 2000, 09:32 PM   #1
Hard Ball

Recently aquired a .38 Special Colt Marshal revolver. I understand that less than 3,000 were mase and that the 2 inch brrel version is rarer than the 4 inch barrel version. Does anyonr know approximately hoe many 2 inch as opposed to 4 inch narrel Marshals were made?
Old September 24, 2000, 10:41 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Hard Ball-- Just a little general information on the Colt Marshal here.

According to The Book of Colt Firearms by Robert Q. Sutherland and R. L. Wilson, 1971, pg. 352--

"SERIAL NUMBERS--Total production less than 2,500; serial numbering from #833352-M, concurrently with the Official Police. High number, #845317-M. Manufactured from 1954 through 1956. The M suffix distinguishes these arms from the Official Police numbering . . . .
ENGRAVING AND CASINGS--None of record."

There is included a page from a Colt's brochure indicating that either dual tone blue or nickel finishes, and either 2" or 4" barrels were offered. Weights: 4" bbl, 31 oz. 2" bbl, 29 oz.

R. L. Wilson's 1985 book, COLT: An American Legend gives essentially the same ilnformation, but in shorter format

Sorry--Neither source offers any figures on production by barrel length. I've never seen a two-inch, assembled revolver. I saw a brand-new, never installed, barrel only at a gun show once, and gave some thought to buying it and putting it on my four-inch, but the guy wanted more than I wanted to pay. I have seen one in nickle, and it looked factory. Mine is standard blue, in nice shape but nowhere near new. I'm told that most of these rather plain arms were probably purchased and used just like Official Police revolvers, and, consequently, were not pampered.

Is yours two or four-inch? What shape? Did you have to give a premium price for it?

I'd be interested if you come up with any production figures as to variations.

Hope this information is of some use to you.

Best,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

[This message has been edited by Johnny Guest (edited September 24, 2000).]