The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2006, 05:34 PM   #1
mohutley

Win slug BRI sabot, cheap

I just bought 10 boxes of what looks to be a great deal! They're 12 gauge, 1oz 3" Winchester Hi-Impact BRI sabots. I'm going to try them in my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (rifled). Only $7/box of 5 and handling was about $4, with shipping being free. Anybody using these?
They're on close-out at Graf.
Old November 19, 2006, 05:51 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I have tried them in my Ithaca Deerslayer II and my Rem 870, both rifled barrels. I , personally have had mixed results. I might get 2 or 3 shots touching and the rest a couple of inches away. I think,, and I repeat, I think it is because of the 2 piece sabot not releasing evenly and making a few shots go South in my 2 guns. In my guns the multi petal sabots seem to work better for me. I had the same problem when you could get Hornady H2K loads. A few were extremely accurate and others would be flyers. I have had the best luck with Rem Copper Soilds and Lightfields so far. Great luck with the slugs.
Old November 19, 2006, 06:13 PM   #3
mohutley

whistling Dixie?

Ruger - Well, even if it turns out to be a bust as far as any kind of real accuracy, they'll give me some good experience in using my slug gun. I bought it months ago and still haven't fired it!

Have you used any of those Dixie Slugs, at around 730 grains? They're not saboted, but supposed to work well in rifled slug guns.
Old November 19, 2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Ruger4570

I haven't tried the Dixie slugs at all,, I just have a personal problem with them from another forum. It is personal and their slugs my be fantastic, I really don't know. Try them, it is the ONLY way you will know. No one can tell you what your gun is going to shoot well, not me, not anyone. It is a matter of testing by you in your gun. Sorry, there are no real shortcuts, unless, of course you get lucky the first time ot two. I shoot tons of slugs, I have tried every brand in my guns, and few of my guns agree on which is best. They all seem to have minds of their own. Probably why my guns have women's names. Great luck
Old November 20, 2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Rimrod

BRI was one of the first, if not the first, makers of saboted slugs. (Winchester bought them out later.) They were specificly designed to be shot in smoothbores since rifled barrels didn't exist at the time.

They are front heavy and look somewhat like a large pellet with a hollow base and solid front seperated by a skinny waist. The sabot was nothing more than a gas seal. They didn't need to rotate to stabilize and it probably wouldn't help any if they were.

They were originally made for law enforcement use on barricaded suspects. The slug was extremely hard for penetration and the sabot was to act as a gas seal and to protect the barrel. They eventually came out with a hunting version with a softer slug which started the sabot craze.
Old November 24, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6
jeager106

I've been around a few decades and have experienced a few things, so let me add a tad to this discussion.
I've been chasing bambi with foster slugs in smoothbores since before rifled s.g. barrels were on the market.
The BRI was specifically designed for RIFLED, not smooth bore barrels.
The BRI will tumble immediately upon exiting the muzzle.
Also the BRI was designed to tumble when forward velocity decelerates to a certain point, usually around 150 yards.
The rotational velocity is unaffected by distance traveled and is of no consequence.
I was rummaging through my ammo stash and lo and behold I found 9 five packs of Federal 2 3/4" BRI s.g. bullets.
Several years ago I had an 11-87, with one of the 1st rifled, cantalever, barrels.
Using the Federal BRI load it would shoot consistant 2" 100 yard groups.
That s.g. became my "deer rifle" and accounted for 3 deer the 1st and only season I used it. The longest shot was 150 paces.
Performance was stellar.
The 'bullet' is already .50 diameter and has a big flat meplat to transfere all that energy to the target.
In short. A good load.
The 11-87 went away in a trade long ago.
I got into muzzle loaders and have had a great time taking a few deer.
However. Three seasons ago I watched a big brusier buck at 200 yards, almost every day of season knowing he was perfectly safe from Ohio hunters armed with revolvers and slug shooting s.g.s
I began to seach for a solid 200 yard performer.
I ain't found it yet in a s.g.
That said, with deer season fast approaching, and discovering my stash of Fed. BRI (all from the same lot number) I loaded up the 870 Express with Remington aftermarket 23" cantalever barrel with T/C 2 X 5 scope.
I shot 6 rounds into an even inch c. to c. at 75 yards, two inches high of bull.
That ought to put me in the K zone out to about 140 yards.
Much further than that the BRI has slowed enough to tumble and fall quickly.
Like it was desinged to do.
I have yet to find any sabot bullet in 12 bore that is consistantly accurate at 100 yards, let alone 200 yards. Despite the fancifull hype generated by the ammo companies or the odd report of the 'expert' shooter who occasionally gets three shots touching a gnats behind at 50 yards.
The 200 yard slug ammo does not yet exist in 12 bore.
Perhaps in the fanciful imaginations of some hunters, but not in documented reality.
That includes the fearsome 880 grain full bore bullets I've been playing with.

Shoot your BRI with confidence. They are very good sabots, but don't fool yourself into thinking you can kill deer at 200 yards with them.