The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2002, 07:24 AM   #1
Swamp Yankee

Help With a Used Dillon XL650

I found a used Dillon XL 650 press for $300.

It includes the low powder sensor & bullet trays. It is currently set up for 9mm which is the volume cartridge I reload, that and .223.
In any event, the machine appears in good shape, but never having owned or used a progressive before I need some help as to what to look for as possible problems or areas of concern on the machine. I prefer not to purchase someone elses headache if you catch my drift.
I know Dillon has an excellent service department. I'm of the opinion this machine is one purchased, never or hardly ever used that became trade fodder on a new gun.
Second question how well does the 650 do on .308 and .223 rifle ammo. I would assume that using a ball powder is probably recommended.
As always, Thanks in Advance for the responses.
Take Care
Old October 6, 2002, 09:52 AM   #2
rick_reno

used 650

I've loaded 223 on a 650 using W748 powder. Worked fine. I wouldn't worry about broken parts on it as much I would missing parts. Check it out to make sure it's all there.
Old October 6, 2002, 10:00 AM   #3
TIR

Does it come with the case feeder? I bought my 650 a month ago used it had been used quite bit the guy used to reload for our local police department with it. I bought the machine knowing that a few case feed pieces were worn out or broken I called dillon before hand and they sent me all the parts plus some spare ones I didn't ask for that was unbelievable. You can have the utmost confidence in buying the machine that Dillon will make it work right if it for some reason doesn't.

As far as 308/223 I have not reloaded either caliber but I have reloaded 243 on my 650, it worked great the leverage the machine has makes sizing a breeze. The lubed cases do get things a little messy so when your done clean the case feed system quite thoroughly. Oh and I only use H380 powder for the 243 which meters very consistently, haven't tried any extruded through the measure as of yet.