The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2012, 05:17 PM   #26
oneoclock

PGO 590 8 + 1 shotgun

I never really liked how the 12 GA beat up my shoulder, and I noticed it was rather easy to shoot while simply holding the gun 3" forward, and this kept my shoulder from getting slammed, so I thought I would try a pistol grip.

It works fine for me, just takes some practice to aim from below my line of sight. I had a laser unit that I wasn't using, so I got a small rail mount for the magazine, and installed the laser. Have not had it at the range since adding the laser, but it seems this will make learning to get the barrel level from waist shooting much easier. Left-Right is easy, level is tougher to get on.

Be very careful if you try to aim from eye level, like a handgun. Keep it well forward, or it may hit your cheek.
Old April 20, 2012, 03:09 PM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Oneoclock, if we use an arbitrary scale of effectiveness, the amount of practice and training needed to get to say, 45, with a shotgun fired off the shoulder would, with one one, see a score of maybe 120, 150 or more.

Clint Smith will teach you to run a single shot,SxS etc, but not off the shoulder or with just a PG. Neither will any other major Shotgun Sensei I know of.

Get some lighter loads and practice from the shoulder. It's well worth the effort.

Trust me....
Old April 20, 2012, 09:40 PM   #28
Big_Bullet

Found a bargain today.

Went to the store for a box of ammo. At the check out I picked up their paper ad . Looked at it in the vehicle and saw a Mossberg Maverick 12ga pump, with an 18.5" barrel for $199. How can anyone pass up a deal like that. Went back inside for it and another box of ammo. Now all I need is a rear pistol grip, a rabbit season, and a bouncing cotton tail. After I arrived home, I put six rounds through it and it shoots great. Came in the house, put it in the safe. Pet the dog and felt a tick on her belly. Tried to pull it off and she yelped pretty loud. Thought I grabbed some hair with it or something, so I moved more hair out of the way and tried again. This time she really yelped. Went into the bathroom to get a pair of tweezers since that tick was really hanging on tight. Rolled her on her back again, and looked real close at that tick. It wasn't a tick. It was a puppy feeder. She's never had pups, so they're tiny feeders. Poor dog. Gave her some warm milk, a dog biscuit, a rawhide chew, and some of my granola bar. The moral of the story is, if you come home with a new gun, leave your dog alone.

Last edited by Big_Bullet; April 20, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Oops
Old April 22, 2012, 09:48 AM   #29
FrosSsT

Quote:
The moral of the story is, if you come home with a new gun, leave your dog alone.
i learned that the hard way with my girls toy yorkie....little thing barks and attacks anything strange looking - from pillows to guns.