The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 18, 2015, 09:44 AM   #1
precision_shooter

Ruger Precision Rifle

Looks like Ruger is finally jumping on the band wagon and offering a factory long range/tactical style rifle. This looks to be a very good platform for the money!
A new mag well design that allows the use of a wide range of mag types.
I wouldn't mind trying one in 6.5 Creed, just wish the trigger pull weight was adjustable to a lower pull weight.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/models.html

http://youtu.be/15YkjtV_ud0
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 18, 2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Rob62

I really do hope it works out for Ruger. They have been missing from the "Precision" rifle field for a long time. Look no farther than how many Heavy barrel bolt action Rugers show up at Long Range Rifle matches - virtually none.

Maybe this is the platform that will change that for Ruger.

Regards,

Rob
Old July 18, 2015, 05:54 PM   #3
1stmar

Nice I like it. Wonder what retail will be..

Last edited by 1stmar; July 18, 2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old July 18, 2015, 07:11 PM   #4
mxsailor803

I kinda want the .243 version.
Old July 18, 2015, 07:24 PM   #5
1stmar

Gunbroker has a 6.5 for $1400. If it's as accurate as they showed may make its way to the safe. Need to see some reviews first.
Old July 18, 2015, 07:30 PM   #6
taylorce1

Too heavy for my tastes, but at least they got the twist right for the .243 Win. You should be able to run most bullets except the 115's and even some of those May shoot depending on elevation. 9-9.5 lbs is about the max I want to pack around with a full magazine, optics, sling, and no-one. I've owned a 11 lbs naked rifle and will never own another, hooligan1 can pack it around now.

Retail is supposed to be around $900-1000.
Old July 19, 2015, 02:48 AM   #7
NorwegianShooter

Looking good. Purpose built precision rifle by Ruger, what more can you ask?

As for 6,5 Creedmoor, I´m sorry to say the best 6,5 have been around for the last 100+ years. It is called 6,5x55 (Scan, Krag, Swedish)...
Old July 19, 2015, 09:14 AM   #8
precision_shooter

Lets not let opinion stand in the way of fact... The new(er) 6.5mms do what the old 6.5x55 has been doing, but more efficiently with less powder, and from a short action. 6.5creed, and 6.5x47 Lapua are the new breed of 6.5 cartridge and have found a home with long range shooters...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 19, 2015, 09:24 AM   #9
5RWill

Not only that point me in the direction of where you can find readily available match 6.5x55? It's nowhere near as plentiful as 6.5CM

MSRP is 1399$ Turners had them for 1000$ you should be able to find them at 1100$.

This rifle is apparently very very good for anyone wanting a nice long range rifle for the fraction of the cost of a custom. I want/need a full size .243 so i'll be picking up one this summer. Frank at Snipershide was getting 1/2 MOA to 850yds, well below 1/2MOA groups at 100 with factory Hornady Ammo.

Not only is the price/performance unmatched in precision rifle shooting, the magwell accepts SR25 mags, AICS, M1A, M14. That is huge. No more 80$ AICS mags. It comes with two magpul mags.
http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...n-rifle-6-5-cm

It's exactly what a bunch of my friends are looking for. They wanted to get into practical long range matches without breaking the bank with 3000-5000$ worth of scope/rifle combo. This offers that. In a couple of weeks i'm going to order one in .243 and put the mark 6 on it.
Old July 19, 2015, 09:56 AM   #10
1stmar

Looks promising, believe those are 3 shot groups
Old July 19, 2015, 01:05 PM   #11
tobnpr

Looks like they've got a winner. The adjustable stock is impressive for the price point as well- I couldn't see the need to change it. Heck, it looks nicer than my PRS...
The fact that it'll take any mags is a huge plus as well.

In the $1K price range for factory out-of-the-box long range target, this might give the Savage LRP a run for it's money.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 19, 2015, 01:36 PM   #12
5RWill

Yeah they're three shot groups. Stil good three shot groups though. If he is getting 1/2 MOA out to 850-1000yds its impresive
Old August 10, 2015, 07:36 PM   #13
RTBA

I've got one.

I was able to pick one up on Gun Broker in 308 for a reasonable price. It was listed for 45 seconds before I bought it. So I got the rifle and checked it out. Took the bolt apart, set it up with a bipod, (the key-mod mount was included, also one quick detach mount was also included), took a monopod from another rifle and mounted a Vortex PST-43127, 6-24 X 50 scope with extra high Weaver tactical 6 screw rings. I like the gun! Not too heavy to hunt with, but heavy enough for some stability. I really like the folding stock and the fact it will fit in a carbine case.
So the big question is..... How does it shoot? It shoots like an eleven hundred dollar rifle. I have plenty of Federal 168 gn GMM and lots of reloads that work fine in other guns so off to the range I went. For two different days and reloading the brass that was shot from the gun from the first day with just neck sizing the best 5 shot group was..... 5/8 inch. I'd say average is one inch/MOA. I've shot worse for that kind of money.
So now I'm looking at options. Stick with it and accept it for what it is. Sell it while everyone wants one and spend 3, 4, or 5 grand on a shooter, or re-barrel it. Well for less than two grand total investment for the gun I'm willing to take a chance and have it re-barreled. Krieger medium weight 1 in 11 twist. Also threaded for a suppressor. I'll check back in in a month or so and let you know if it was worth it.
Old August 12, 2015, 01:33 AM   #14
5RWill

I would rebarrel if you can't get some consistent 1/2 MOA groups out of it and feel the action/platform is something you intend to seriously use. There was one posted on snipershide hide already rebarreled with a hawk hill customs. So they will be coming.
Old August 12, 2015, 06:09 AM   #15
TMD

I wouldn't give up on the stock barrel just yet. Being a 1/10 twist you might want to try some heavier bullets like 175 and 180 grain. I thought the same with my Savage 110 at first but after playing with some 180's I was able to get groups down to .5moa.
Old August 12, 2015, 07:46 AM   #16
RTBA

I have been working with some one seventy fives. They were starting to show some promise as the velocities were going up. I even had some hotter loads ready to go when I decided to pull the plug. My experience is if you have a rifle that won't shoot you can sometimes find the right combination to make it acceptable, but if you have a rifle that shoots it will shoot about anything.
Nice to hear someone else is going for a re-barrel and I'm not the only fool.
Old August 12, 2015, 09:23 AM   #17
tobnpr

Frank Galli did a head-to-head with his AI-AX.
Not very scientific far as accuracy goes, but as a demonstration to see if the rifle can compete in PR, his answer seems to be "yes".

http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...recision-rifle
Old August 12, 2015, 09:32 AM   #18
garryc

Is that a Savage type trigger on that?
Old August 12, 2015, 10:45 AM   #19
Saltydog235

Isn't this just a Ruger American in a Chassis system with a few bells and whistles?
Old August 12, 2015, 02:39 PM   #20
RTBA

Yes it has Ruger's version of the Accutrigger.

It uses the same bolt design as the American Rifle, but the bedding of the action is pretty trick on the American Rifle. Ruger say it has 7 patents pending and over all I really like the way they designed the RPR.
If you can pick it up for a thousand bucks and it shoot that's a deal. If you put a good barrel on it for less than eight, then for eighteen hundred you could have an excellent shooter.?... I'l let you know.
Old August 13, 2015, 07:19 AM   #21
tobnpr

Quote:
Isn't this just a Ruger American in a Chassis system with a few bells and whistles?
Nope. Not at all.

The design: three lug bolt, receiver design- and probably the barrel (though they don't say) are all based on the R.A.

BUT- it is NOT a chassis system. The receiver is integral, one-piece back to the AR-15 style attachment for the buttstock. There is no chassis. "Sort of" like an AR upper...
Old August 14, 2015, 08:19 PM   #22
Txhillbilly

It's still just a dressed up Ruger American,just another entry level rifle trying to play with the big boys. I'll pass on buying one.
For the money,you can buy or build a lot better rifle and it won't say Ruger on it!
Old August 14, 2015, 09:59 PM   #23
sirgilligan

Quote:
It's still just a dressed up Ruger American,just another entry level rifle trying to play with the big boys. I'll pass on buying one.
For the money,you can buy or build a lot better rifle and it won't say Ruger on it!
What did you build? Which action did you use? Which barrel? Which stock? How much are you into it for? What kind of groups are you getting?

I see nothing wrong with those wanting to get the RPR, I think everyone knows what it is.

But there are others that want something different, like you, but not telling us what you got is just leaving us all hanging.
Old August 15, 2015, 09:48 AM   #24
5RWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
The entire point of this rifle is entry level, so people who can't afford 3000-6000$ customs can get into PRS and actually compete without sinking a lot of money into it.

And no for the money you can't build a more suited rifle, not with those features. DBM alone is 200-300 + install, not including AICS or AW mags. Of which you don't have to use on the ruger. A nice chassis system or stock is going to be 500+. Savage or remington action is going to be 300+ it's not even close.

You might can buy it though. Savage 10 is as close as it gets around the same price.

New review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHUhGuBc14
Old August 18, 2015, 01:39 PM   #25
5RWill

I would like to add you can have a very good rifle for 1500-1700. Buy a Tikka T3 for 500-600$, take the action and put it into a nice chassis, then grab a bartlein. Little smithing work other than chambering the barrel.

Last edited by 5RWill; August 18, 2015 at 02:19 PM.