The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 9, 2013, 05:28 AM   #1
psycho nut

Anyone have a good vertical gunrack plan?

Horizontal space has become a bit of a limited resource for me as of late. I have a couple of horizontal racks to go with my safe, but I don't have the room for them currently. What I do have, is room for a vertical stand.

I figured I could work something out with some 2x4s but I thought someone might have some plans for one. Preferablely free-standing, cheap, and simple. I don't want it to look pretty, just work.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:39 AM   #2
docnyt

Anyone have a good vertical gunrack plan?

Can you make something like a rotating stand? I like the way my Pendleton safe is arranged.

Old March 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Doyle

I saw one advertised on one of the TV shooting shows. It was a rotating rack that fits inside the safe that held rifles in alternating up and down positions. It almost doubled the usable space inside the safe.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Archie

I have the same problem.

I would discount the usefulness of the rotary rack. It wastes a lot of space in the corners of the safe.

I bought a big safe a number of years ago. The provided interior was attractive, well assembled, exactly as the picture in the catalog showed and nearly useless. Essentially too much wasted space.

My solution is two vertical racks for long guns, one in the rear (not as easy to use) and one in front for the more commonly used arms. I figured how much space the long guns took, added several inches to allow getting them in and out, and then arranged shelves above for handguns, scopes, magazines and anything else I figured needed locking up.

I started with 1x2 inch hardwood uprights in the corners and added cross bars as needed. I also put in fore and aft cross bars to support the horizontal supports for the long arms. By the way, I had to figure out what I wanted and then assemble the frame inside the safe; no way to build it outside and then put it in.

I don't have plans - and as I'm still recovering from moving, I don't even have a proper picture.

Note to others: When buying a gun safe, consider the option of NOT having an interior supplied. I don't think they ever quite fit. As usual, your mileage may vary, you're all big kids and the secretariat disavows all knowledge.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 9, 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
tulsamal

Quote:
I would discount the usefulness of the rotary rack. It wastes a lot of space in the corners of the safe.
I have no opinion about some aftermarket product. But watch both these two videos about Pendleton safes. Look at how many guns Jeff gets in there. And those guns are FAR more accessible than the guns I've got shoved in my standard safe.

http://www.gunblast.com/Pendleton2.htm

If I could afford one of those safes... I would be strongly tempted. Jeff sees gun products of all types and he liked them well enough to buy them with his own money for his own guns.

Gregg