The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 18, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1
OsOk-308

AR15 for hunting build

I am looking to build an ar 15 for hunting deer with. I have already settled on 6.8 for the rifle, I'm trying to decide how to build it, i'm talking stocks, barrel length, handguards etc. I was thinking about the possibility of a fixed skeleton stock or something of the like. I'd like to hear from people who use their ar's for hunting specifically. Thank you for your input.
Old June 19, 2012, 07:02 AM   #2
eldorendo

If you'll visit the 6.8 forum, you'll get a lot of good ideas. Lots of guys over there hunt with their 6.8s.
Old June 19, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Crow Hunter

I am thinking about the same thing.

Keep us updated on what you decide.

I think lighter is better. But most of the options out there are very "combat" oriented and tend to be on the heavy side.

Good luck.
Old June 19, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

ACE has a few different very light stocks that really reduce the weight. Keep the barrel length as short as possible. A tube style floated hand guard without rails cluttering up everything. Iron sights are a lot lighter than optics. 6.5lbs is doable.
Old June 19, 2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Iron sights are a lot lighter than optics. 6.5lbs is doable.
Can you point me towards that build/rifle?

I am not up on the 6.8 offerings.

If I could get down to 6.5-7.0 lbs range with no optics, I would be very happy. (I will mount a Leupold VX2 2x7 that I took off my old 30-06 Abolt)

I was thinking about just breaking down and buying a bolt action 7mm-08 because everything seems to be way too heavy for a hunting rifle. I don't want a "combat" 6.8 SPC, just a hobby grade hunting rifle that has the same manual of arms as my 6920 that I use for HD/EOTW training.

Thanks

Good luck.
Old June 19, 2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Marquezj16

I'm undecided about building a 6.8. I've done my research and if I decide to go ahead with it, I would probablly go with a 16" barrel. Free float handguard and a fixed stock. Right now I have two complete lower receivers waiting for me to complete the uppers.

Take a look at Stag, YHM and PSA for barrels. The BCGs are pretty much out of stock at the moment. Everything else is just standard AR15 parts.
Old June 20, 2012, 06:34 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKiller
Can you point me towards that build/rifle?

I am not up on the 6.8 offerings.

If I could get down to 6.5-7.0 lbs range with no optics, I would be very happy. (I will mount a Leupold VX2 2x7 that I took off my old 30-06 Abolt)
Basic M4 upper/lower, ACE Ultra lite stock. 14.5 barrel, A2 long FH. OEM or MOE hand guard.

Do you have a mag size limit with state hunting regs? With a small mag and the VX2 you should be around 7.5-8+lbs.

I think a SBR 10-12" gun with the ACE would be a killer hunting rifle for moderate sized game. You give up a little velocity but a gun this size is so easy to carry all day in any terrain.