The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1
DG45

Significance of magnet sticking to brass reloading tool?

I've seen a lot of antique shotgun reloading tools that appear to be made of steel - or maybe iron - and others that appear to be made of brass. I saw one today that looked like it was all brass, but the owner says a magnet will stick to it. I didn't want to show my ignorance to him so I just nodded knowingly, but I really have no idea why that seemed to be important.

So, I've been wondering all day of what significance it is, if a magnet sticks to an antique reloading tool that from its appearance you would swear was solid brass? Does that mean that there's steel in the metal and that the tool will spark if dropped? (I should mention that if I buy this antique tool, I intend to try to use it in re-loading brass shotshells and in reloading once-fired paper shotshells. I may even try re-loading once-fired plastic shotshells.) Would a tool like this that looks like its well-patinaed brass but that a magnet sticks to, be dangerous to use it around black powder?

Thanks in advance for all assistance.
Old January 5, 2010, 06:49 AM   #2
VaFisher

If a magnet sticks to it then it made of steel with a brass looking coating. Most tools for reloading are made using steels so I do not follow the idea of sparks.
Old January 5, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3
mrawesome22

I doubt it's solid iron. It's definitely made of some type of steel though. Steel is just iron with additives in it. And those brass shells are also likely steel with a brass coating on them. And brass is just a mixture of copper and zinc.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
I doubt it's solid iron. It's definitely made of some type of steel though. Steel is just iron with additives in it. And those brass shells are also likely steel with a brass coating on them. And brass is just a mixture of copper and zinc.
Nope, the mag-tech, CBC brass shotgun shells are made all brass. Not brass plated steel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1657554245

As for the antique loading tool, it's most likely brass plated.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 5, 2010, 11:45 AM   #5
mrawesome22

Yep. I was thinking of plastic shells. Forgot about those.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
kraigwy

If you find a magnet that will pick up brass, patent it, cause you'll get rich.

I'll buy a couple my self.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 5, 2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Shoney

If the tools are "antique", they were intended for use on black powder. Any spark around black powder is dangerous. A brass plated steel/iron tools would be used to lessen the chance of sparks.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 5, 2010, 09:45 PM   #8
darkgael

BP

Quote:
I was thinking of plastic shells.
Black powder is not kind to plastic hulls. They melt. You'll get one firing per hull.
The only operation where you need to worry a bit about accidental ignition is the powder drop and then only if you are using a measure with a powder hopper. Lyman makes and sells one that is anti-sparking.
With the other tools, no powder is involved openly.
Pete