The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2009, 11:10 PM   #1
champ198

in accurate throws from my RCBS powder thrower

so was gonna start to load me up some rounds for my 25-06 yesterday since i have been on vacation all week and no one at home....so first thing off went to doing some case sizing and depriming and BAM case stuck...so had to order the stuck case tool....might have to send my dies in to get polished maybe dont know what the deal is...got them from a friend and its the first time i have tried to use them...so maybe they are dirty? not sure......anyways...thought id take and set the powder throw for a beginning load...well im getting some very inconsistant ammounts...anywhere from 50.1 to 51.8....using IMR 4831 and not sure if its the type of powder or what the deal is....so ordered me a powder trickler as well....thought id set the thrower low around 48 gr and use the trickler to get the rest of the way there so its consistant...anyone ever run into this? last RCBS thrower i had was perfect every time with pistol loads but its kind of aggriviating anyone got any ideas?
Old November 20, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
LHB1

IMR 4831 is a long cylindrical powder and doesn't measure well in most measures but it should do better than that. Suggest cleaning the drum and metering cavity with alcohol. Then put a powder baffle in the powder hopper and use consistent operation method and force on each powder throw. I used to tap the metering arm twice lightly at end of throw for consistency.
Old November 20, 2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Rusty W

I think the problem you're having is the reason why they now make that powder in a short cut version. I have problems with stick powders in my RCBS too. I try to use ball powders as much as I can. I have a couple rifles that like 3031 so I use a lee dipper and weigh each charge. The stuck case maybe not enough lube. When I started reloading I used the Lee case lube. I stuck a .223 case and ruined a RCBS X-die trying to get it out. I stopped using the Lee lube and went to the RCBS lube and pad and haven't had a stuck case yet, nearly 2000 rifle rounds later.
Old November 20, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
champ198

i have been using Hornadays One Shot for case lube...i have some RCBSlube and lubepads just thought the One Shot was better stuff the dies are from a friend i got used and i dont know how long its been since they have been used so thought they might be dirty or somethin maybe....dont know i can sent them in to RCBS and have them polished for like $5 for shipping but dont know if that is the problem or what.....im gonna get the case out and try some of the new unprimed brass and see what happens...the brass i was doing was some cases from the new Fusion shells and they have sealer on the primer i thought thats what was makin them so tough but maybe not.
Old November 21, 2009, 10:25 AM   #5
bgdv1

when throwing charges for rifle loads with a course powder i ALWAYS drop the initial charge below the desired weight and trickle the last few grains in. depending on the powder you can get relatively close on the first drop but if you want to be exact your going to have to trickle in the last amount. cant speak for everyone but the reason to reload is to produce the most acurate loads for your particular gun and having fun doing it. for my rifles i use IMR 4350 & IMR 4895. this covers my loading from my sons 5.56 ar thru my 30-338 win mag. ( w 270 & 30-06 inbetween )
Old November 21, 2009, 11:44 AM   #6
wncchester

Cases normally stick for a single reason; the case lube was improperly applied.

No coarse material is going to go through a volume dispenser at the same weight each time. 4831 is a coarse powder.
Old November 21, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
elkman06

Quote:
last RCBS thrower i had was perfect every time
You mean this can happen? Several things come to mind here. I am absolutely in agreement w/ weighing each and every load. It's what I do as well using a trickler.
The longer powder gives you more inconsistent loads, even when trickling. I tightened my groups on my .243 by going from IMR4831 to hodgon 4831sc. So that worked for me as well.

Also, I have heard people talk about putting a baffle in the powder throw to mitgate the head pressure of a full versus 1/2 full difference within the throw. I haven't tried it but hear it helps. I still just weigh every one.

Lastly, probably the reason your pistol ammo is so consistent is due to the second item as well. Ball or flake powder by design, flows more compactly and consistenly than the long grain extruded powder.

Tap your handle as someone suggested too. All that being said, one of these days I will break down and go to an electronic scale with a metered trickler.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old November 21, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8
reloader28

I'm one that likes the trickler. I take my time and like to get everything exact.

As for the One Shot, I have stuck 2 cases and both were with One Shot. Both were my fault, I didnt put enough on or it got to dry. Now I spray it on good and heavy, turn the tray around and spray heavy again. Size them right away and do no more than 20 at a time or it will start to dry and get sticky in your die
Old November 21, 2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Steve in PA

When using stick powder, I will measure each powder charge. I use IMR-4895 for my M1 Garand loads and set my RCBS Uniflow for be just under the desired weight (47.0g for 150 FMJ's). I will then weight the charge and use the trickler to add some powder if need.

When I reload for my M4, I use H335 which meters very well and once the desired weight is set on the thrower, I don't have to weigh again. Yes, I do check every so often, but I've never had to re-adjust the thrower.

It all depends on the type of powder used.