The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

Base pin latch

The other day as I was shooting my Charles Daly SA revolver, the base pin latch came apart. I noticed it because the body hit me in the shoulder. I was able to find the body of it in the dirt but I could not find the spring or the nut.

I know that Charles Daly and KBI is out of business now. I am just wondering how specialized this part is. Can I substitute a base pin latch from a Ruger (I will give that a test tonight I guess)? If the Ruger Blackhawk doesn't fit, then what brand is likely to fit? I think I heard that some of the Charles Daly SA clones were made by Pietta, but that may not be correct. I haven't found a Pietta replacement either for that matter. Maybe Colt? I haven't found that either though. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but then, I'm not a gunsmith either. But it appears that if I can find the right part, it should be pretty easy to put it in. Naturally, the gun is inoperable becase the base pin will not stay in place at all without the latch.
Old November 29, 2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Well, it doesn't look like the base pin latch from the Blackhawk would work. I measured the body that came apart and it was 0.821" long and the head was 0.193" in diameter. I didn't measure the small threaded part.

I didn't take the base pin latch out of my Blackhawks. I could see at a glance they were different. Measuring while still installed, I found the body pin to be about 0.736" long and had a diameter of 0.206". That was approximate since it was still in the gun. Clearly though the Ruger is shorter and fatter compared to my original part. I am guessing those dimensions are not close enough to work.

Does anyone have a Colt or Uberti or Pietta they can measure to see if those parts would work?