The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 20, 2001, 03:20 AM   #1
kitman

My Problem is some times when I let go of the grip safety and then let go of the trigger they seem to get stuck together, liek the grip safety wont come out and the trigger stays to the back, I probably would have never noticed except I was reading my friends book of the 1911 and it says in the little bit of ed browns 1911 bench refrence in the function check part it says hold the trigger and let go of the grip safety now let go of the trigger the safety should pop out, they arnt the trigger and the safety are sticking together, is this a major malfunction? how can it be fixed? thanks in advance!
Old April 20, 2001, 05:31 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Kitman, there are two possibilities and either way this isn't a major repair. Either your sear spring (center leg and right leg as you're looking at in the gun) need to be bent a little. Center forward; right rearward, or the finger of the grip safety needs to be relieved on the bottom of the point. The inverted "L". The top part might be coming to a rest on the top of the trigger bow instead of clearing completely out of the way. Don't touch the front part of the finger as it is the part the trigger bow touches when the grip safety is not depressed to keep the trigger from being pulled. George
Old April 21, 2001, 07:11 AM   #3
Joe Gulish

I just checked all my 1911's the only one that didn't
do that was my Colt series 70. I think what is happening
is the top of the trigger bow and the bottom front corner
of the grip safety leg are hanging up on each other.What I'm going to do with mine is very lightly stone a radius on the grip safetys bottom front corner till it stops.

BTW, don't mess with the middle leg of the flat spring. That operats the dissconnector. If you want more pressure on the grip safety the right hand leg is the one to bend back. The left hand leg is for the trigger return.
Old April 22, 2001, 12:31 AM   #4
Bud Helms

I've been searching for some time for high quality sear springs for my 1911s. Any recommendations?
Old April 22, 2001, 05:21 AM   #5
Jim V

I have used King's http://www.kingsgunworks.com
Wilson's http://www.wilsoncombat.com

I do not know if Wolff http://www.gunsprings.com makes sear springs or not.

The first two offer quality sear springs.
Old April 25, 2001, 02:18 PM   #6
Wallew

Brownells catalog #53 lists 6 custom Sear springs on page 129. Or go to http://www.brownells.com and type in 1911 sear spring in the search area. Brownells carries ed brown, infinity, wilson,wolff and clark.