The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 7, 2008, 12:59 AM   #1
zxcvbob

Aguila .22LR from ODCMP

Has anyone used that Aguila .22 standard velocity ammo they sell at CMP in a target pistol -- like a Buckmark or Ruger MKII? Is it any good? It costs more than bulk-pack ammo from Fleet Farm or Walmart, but it's cheaper than CCI Standard Velocity (which is what most of the Bullseye shooters in my league use.) IIRC it's about $200 for 5000 rounds, and that's the minimum order. I'd hate to order that much at once to try it and have it be crap like that Remington T-22 stuff in the yellow plastic box. Thanks.
Old October 7, 2008, 05:33 AM   #2
darkgael

Aquila

Bob: I have used it in my match pistols, both the standard velocity and the subsonic. They both work just fine in my Ruger Mk.II (actually, it's not so much a Ruger any more; it has a Volquartsen tensioned upper and innards, but the bolt and mainspring are stock Ruger.)
The other gun is a H-S Victor; the standard velocity works well. The subsonics are not as reliable in that gun.
In a target rifle, both make fine practice ammo. The jury is still out for me about using it in a rifle match.
Pete
Old October 7, 2008, 06:39 AM   #3
cdrt

I use it in my Marvel and HS Victor. Good quality; no misfires so far. My HS won't feed CCI std so I was pleased to find the Aguila.

We have one guy who says he's had light rounds from the Aguila, but I've gone through an entire case and not had any light rounds that I could see.

Did you mean Winchester T-22? Remington doesn't make T-22 but I've never been happy with their std velocity stuff; too many misfires.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old October 7, 2008, 08:14 AM   #4
zxcvbob

Quote:
Did you mean Winchester T-22? Remington doesn't make T-22 but I've never been happy with their std velocity stuff; too many misfires.
No, it's definitely Remington (might not be "T-22" though) It's their midpriced target ammo, in a square yellow plastic 100-pack. I still have a box somewhere, I'll look it up. About 10% have no primer; they never fire after 3 or more good firing pin hits.

Oddly enough, I have no problems with their cheap "Golden Bullets" that everyone else hates.
Old October 7, 2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Citizen Carrier

Aquila is good stuff. I'm not sure exactly what the CMP is carrying without looking over there.

I've shot Aquila Super Extra (standard velocity), Pistol Match, and Match variations of their ammunition.

It is Eley-primed stuff, which I assume means more reliable or uniform ingnition.

I found it to be every bit as accurate in my Ruger and Pardini as brands like Wolf, which costs twice as much or more.
Old October 11, 2008, 12:18 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

You'll have to try a box out of any pistol to see if it both shoots well and cycles the action. .22's are just like that. You should try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your pistol likes. The cost of the ammo means nothing.
Remington makes their 'Target' and 'Eley' ammo. T-22's are from Winchester.

Tags
.22 , ammo , bullseye pistol