The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 18, 2006, 07:51 PM   #1
sylvesterRT

which eye for offhand?

I was pondering today after some poorly executed offhand shooting in PPC, since this is my 1st real attempt at precision pistol shooting, can those of you with experance help me.

When your shooting offhand with the barracade do you use your dominate eye or change to the offhand eye nondominate?

Thanks in advance
Old February 19, 2006, 01:52 AM   #2
Lycanthrope

Both eyes....all the time.

Keep the front sight focus. You can put a small piece of scotch tape over your non dominate eye lens on your glasses to help train this.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:18 AM   #3
HSMITH

Both eyes, all of the time. Is there an echo in here?

Eye fatigue when shooting with only one eye is a big factor, shooting with both eyes open is the best way to make this a non-issue.
Old February 19, 2006, 06:20 PM   #4
sylvesterRT

Thanks for the replys, I use both eyes up close and for IPISC when I shot it, but hitting the X ring at 50yds with a pistol I began closing my non dom eye.
Old February 19, 2006, 11:25 PM   #5
Lycanthrope

Tell that to CMP guys who use both eyes at 600.....

It feels weird, but it works.
Old February 24, 2006, 06:33 PM   #6
The_Browncoat

i still have not became comfortable with both eyes open.

Captain Malcom Reynolds from Serenity
Old February 24, 2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Lycanthrope

It took me about a year for it to be natural. I was trained in the one eye method. I had to tape my glasses or scrunch up my weak eye pretty hard until I could train my brain to get the focus on the front sight. It's also really disturbing to see the rear site that blurry. Seems very inefficient, but hits go up and I think it actually helps in calling the shot since you get so much more input with the inproved field of view.
Old February 24, 2006, 10:35 PM   #8
sylvesterRT

So, even off hand I should be using my dom eye with both eyes open, I have been switching to the non dom eye for offhand and my scores really suck plus my ability to get all my rounds off in time, is just as bad.

I have shot most of my life with both eyes open its not a foriegn concept to me but, I guess I began picking up bad habits trying to self correct my preformance in a new disapline.
Old February 25, 2006, 02:04 AM   #9
Lycanthrope

Yes. Don't lean out the minimum amount and use your non dominate eye. Go a bit farther and use both eyes for a crisp front sight focus.

It's not consciously using your dominate eye. Don't use a Weaver stance if you can help it. Use a neutral Isosceles stance on both sides and be consistent.
Old February 25, 2006, 07:35 PM   #10
NACO64

Which eye? Which sight?

Shooting aperture (or telescopic), the gun hardly ever experiences any real problems out of using the off eye PROVIDED corrected acuity in that eye is not materially less than the dominant.

Shooting any sort of sight that introduces resolution of presbyopic problem, though, almost always demands sighting with the dominant eye for good result. Examples are open sights or the ring sight affairs that seem to be a fad. Wingshooting or shooting by point method without attention to sights is another.

When the gun, for good reason or bad, elects sighting with the off eye, he is served best by interrupting the acuity of the other eye sufficently to allow the off eye to dominate in the sighting field. The most effective way the gun or the instructor has of accomplishing this is to put a patch of transparent tape, say .75x.75cm in the upper inside corner of the lens on the eye not being used as the sighting eye. In a pinch, or in the field, simply smudging the same area with a bit of the skin oil off ones nose works quite well. This isn't a bad practice even when the dominant eye is the sighting eye.

This practice of "eyes open always" has a number of very practical functions, most of which are simply taken for granted in target and simulation conditions. However, when the gun is confronted in a variety of adversarial circumstances, the reward of having constant, immediate depth perception, the ability to recognize within a greater periphery, and the ability to not "fatigue out" when confronted with a target demanding a long hold is often that of being the one who walks away from the confrontation.

Hold fast, regard the wind, the light, and the other fellow, and wake up the next day. That's all there is to it.

naco
Old February 25, 2006, 07:57 PM   #11
Lycanthrope

Naco,

Nice post.
Old March 11, 2006, 02:30 AM   #12
Jeff22

sighting issues and cross dominance

Everybody's eyes are different.

Many people can't shoot with both eyes open past about 10 yards.

If you are cross dominant (dominant eye is NOT on the same side as the dominant hand) that's another potential issue.

I hesitate to resort to any solution to adjusting eye dominance that requires putting tape on my shooting glasses, since I won't have tape on my glasses if I get into a gunfight at work some night. But, I have known MANY people who have made adjustments in the way their eyes interface with the sights by doing that, so . . .

I mostly shoot IPSC and IDPA, but usually shoot in one or two PPC matches a year. (Most of the basic police qualification courses that we use are PPC based, as well) I have a right dominant hand and a left master eye, and I shoot right handed and sight with my left eye when shooting handguns. Although I can sight fine using the right eye, using the right/non-dominant eye requires me to squint my left/dominant eye a quite a bit which leads to fatigue.

Experiment to see what works for you.

IMHO the PPC is an excellent way to tune up your basic skills.
Old March 11, 2006, 12:21 PM   #13
Lycanthrope

Tape doesn't adjust eye dominance. With both eyes open you still have a dominant eye. Tape just helps to train the brain to find that focus. After a bit, you no longer need the tape.

The brain is an impressive thing.
Old March 29, 2006, 01:56 PM   #14
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

Hey Sy,
Always use your dominate eye either left or right handed.
Bob
Old March 30, 2006, 07:35 PM   #15
38_Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcmaster
Hey Sy,
Always use your dominate eye either left or right handed.
Bob
Yep

And always both eyes open
Old March 31, 2006, 03:26 PM   #16
Gortex

I learned something today