The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 1999, 04:24 PM   #1
Bill M

I've got a M96 Mauser that has thusfar fired only military surplus rounds. Recently however I've loaded a few experimental rounds in order to milk as much accuracy from the rifle as possible. The receipes were taken from Loadbooks USA for the 6.5x55mm. While I haven't yet had the opportunity to try any of them, I'm having second thoughts about the safety of one load in particular and thought perhaps I could benefit from the experience of some on this board. Does a 46.0 gr charge of Reloader 22 behind a 140 gr bullet (Sierra Matchking)seem excessive? It's listed as a starting load (2737 fps)in the Hercules Powder section, with 49.0 grs being considered maximum (2857 fps). I became concerned afterwards while reading data I had downloaded last year from the Swedish Mauser FAQ site. It quotes the 4th Edition Sierra Rifle Reloading manual as stating the minimum charge of Reloader 22 to be 39.7 grs, with a maximum charge of 46.7 grs. I don't want to use any load that might cause injury, and don't want to damage a fine old rifle by using incorrect data. While the 46.0 gr charge is still within Sierra's guidelines, why would they consider it a near maxium charge while the powder's manufacture lists it as a starting load? What are your thoughts? Any help will be appreciated.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bill M (edited September 06, 1999).]
Old September 6, 1999, 09:34 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Bill, I'd personally start at 38gn and work up ! Would all 47gn fit in the case?!I shudder at the thought.
Your 6.5mm Scan rifle may be tight and as new(look at brass stock medallion for bore size and groove/condition etc) and give higher pressures.The action is exceptionally strong but not as foolproof as the M98...
I don't use your powder, but 38gn AR2208 with a similar 140 gn Sierra HP-(almost a FMJ)-BT Matchking for chrono of 2,550FPS average.
That is quite enough thank-you and I may also now reduce that by 1/2gn for safety too !!

Stay smart and alive... work up to your goal of accuracy and comfort.
Velocity is not everything, but it depends on the task and rifle.

Stay commendably cautious my friend!

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 7, 1999, 09:54 AM   #3
Bill M

Big Bunny,

Thanks for the input. You confirmed my fears. Think I'll pull these rounds (there are only ten of them) and reduce the loading as you've suggested. Still am confused about the apparent erroneous information by the powder's manufacturer. Seems like quite a serious mistake.

Best Regards,

Bill M
Old September 7, 1999, 07:07 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Good one Bill. Let me know how you go with your 6.5mm loads and we can compare notes - as we both seem to appreciate this 'masterpiece' of Swedish steel and precision engineering.
Best wishes - Rob.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 8, 1999, 06:58 PM   #5
Paul B.

Bill. What I do is average out the max loads in all my books for the weight bullet I plan to use. I then start with the lowest minimum and load 5 rounds. I go up with 5 more rounds, one grain at a time until I am at 2 grains below the average max. I then work up at 0.5 grain until I reach the avaerage max, or, if the max for the bullet I am using is less than the average max I stop there. Sometimes, depending on the cartridge and rifle used, I may carefully work up past the published max, or average max whichever is higher using case measuring tools and a chronograph to determine where I am at in the loads.
It pays to be careful.
Paul B.