The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: What goes wrong in your dreams?
Mag loaded backwards/wrong 3 13.64%
Can't rack slide 4 18.18%
Won't go into battery 7 31.82%
Can't find gun 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27, 2013, 02:11 AM   #26
warningshot

I brought up the topic of weird dreams with a well known trainer whoes name I won't mention. He said it's all about unresolved decisions and that I needed to get a grip on. That was 1984. I can't recall having anymore than 3 or 4 since.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:29 AM   #27
Chinny33

i have 3 reoccurring problems in my dreams

- im unarmed. in reality i always have some sort of weapon. gun, pepper spray, knife.

-i have the gun aimed and ready to fire, but am unable to pull the trigger

-i pulled the trigger but the bullets pass through the body w/o inflicting any damage.

i read somewhere that 75% of all dreams are negative dreams. not necessarily nightmares or bad dreams, just in negative forms.
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 27, 2013, 06:34 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

Only a few dreams with guns. Probably less than a dozen in my lifetime. In those dreams the problem was I never had a gun to begin with.
All happened while in places I couldn't keep a gun handy and I probably needed one more than while in the US. Most after a taco stand visible from my front door was hit multiple times in a weekend. Seems they were selling something extra aligned with the wrong cartel.
It wasn't like I was looking for them in the dream though. In the dream I always knew there weren't any around.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:51 PM   #29
TripHlx

Usually when guns are involved in my dreams it's all good, although I do have occasional 'nightmares' where a friend/loved one was the victim of violence and I was unable to intervene because of crappy shooting on my part.

My best friend since middle school has frequently told me about a recurring dream he has involving firearms, and the gist is that he is the victim of a violent attack and he is able to draw and aim his firearm with ungodly speed and precision, but there is always one of two problems. Either the trigger pulls up to the breaking point, but then seems to gain an incredible amount of pull weight, or the trigger pull is so extraordinarily long that his earlier speed is made null. He says that every time, he KNOWS the trigger can be pulled, but he never manages it in time.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:58 AM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Had a fever dream the other night. First time ever it worked as it was supposed to.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:10 AM   #31
9mm

I put wont go into battry, but what I mean is it wouldn't squeeze the trigger. In almost all my dreams, my trigger becomes a 100lbs trigger pull on any gun and it's almost impossible to fire, and if I ever do, I miss. Why dreams, why.

I like this thread!!!
Old January 31, 2013, 12:02 AM   #32
BitterTait

One dream before I had first shot a pump action shotgun I had a dream that I was defending myself with one. I couldn't rack the slide, until a friend of mine stopped by and did it for me, then suddenly it was working perfectly.

For a while, I had dreams where my Makarov worked fine, I was just moving in super slow motion. About 3-4 dreams later, my brain decided that since I was moving in slow motion, everyone else had to as well. Bullet time dreams are awesome.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:33 AM   #33
Aristides

I fairly often have some version of the dream where I pull the trigger, but can't quite get it all the way back, and the gun won't fire. Sometimes I'm hunting and the pheasants flush, but I can't get the trigger to pull. Other times, I'm about to get beat up by scumbags or something like that, and I pull my gun out, but it won't fire. A few times I've even thought, in the dream, "Oh crap, I've had dreams like this, and now it's really happening to me!"

And then I wake up.

Yeah, I've also had the dream where I'm at a fancy party but can't find the bathroom. I get some version of that one a few times a year. It's similar in recurrence to the one where I'm back in college, and suddently realize it's time for the final exam, but I haven't been going to class. Man, that one stresses me out, big time!
Old February 1, 2013, 03:48 AM   #34
AndyWest

Quote:
It's similar in recurrence to the one where I'm back in college, and suddently realize it's time for the final exam, but I haven't been going to class.
I even get combinations of these... Like, say, I graduated and can't remember where my dorm room is (yeah, a graduate in the dorms). Then when I get there somehow, my guns are all disassembled and scattered around and mixed with other people's guns. Or my roommate, friends, and other random people are playing with them. And I have to gather them up because I'm moving out.

Then of course I have to take a leak and go from floor to floor trying to find a working bathroom. All while, sometimes, bad guys are involved.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #35
BoogieMan

Quote:
When I dream, I dream of women, not guns. This way there are no misfires.
Me to but then my gun went off in my hand.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 1, 2013, 04:29 PM   #36
dajowi

In my last dream, I left my range bag at the range.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:10 PM   #37
sigshepardo

Great Thread!

Lots of things happen in my dreams. I can shoot forever but then when I think I need to reload I can never find a mag. A lot of the times the bullets are so weak they dont hurt anything. One time I found a BAR and when I was firing it it just got all rusty and fell apart into a pile of dust. This one was the biggest let down.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:18 PM   #38
SPEMack618

When I got back from the A-Stan, I had lots of dreams where my M-4's trigger pull must have been measured in the 100s of ft/lbs. Oh, and that I would drop every grenade while trying to get it out of my vest to load into my -203 except for smoke.

In high school, I used to dream about winning the State 3-P Air Champsionship and getting a kiss from the homecoming queen, but alas, only of one those ever happened.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:54 PM   #39
LouisianaAviator

Quote:
Also, if I am shooting..again and again my bullets have no effect.
Same here. I remember even shooting an attacker 6 times in the chest with .357 Magnum from my Colt Python and it had no effect.

I also remember shooting an attacker in my dreams with 15 rounds of 9mm, also no effect. Some would argue that this would happen in real life

Quote:
I like this thread!!!
Me too! It's like a group therapy session but not nearly as expensive!
Old February 1, 2013, 06:03 PM   #40
Sheriff Gotcha

Like someone said before, I think about guns all day, but have never remembered a dream that I have actually had a gun in.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:25 PM   #41
Edward429451

As another poster noted, this is a confidence problem. I used to have dreams where the gun malfunctioned very similar to what has been described. Loose slides, bullets falling out the barrels etc..Then I started spending more time at the range and Guns started working in my dreams just like real life.

My last gun dream was where I had went back to my hometown and for some reason went into an old apartment building that I used to live in and was attacked by a guy. I shot him in my dream two times and it was loud and he fell down fast. Then the rest of the dream I was running trying to distance myself from the area and was very worried about being caught by the po-lice.

In my dream the shooting was justified, yet I felt the need to run. I suppose I don't have confidence in the police? lol.

Go to the range more and watch your dreams change.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:02 AM   #42
spanishjames

Quote:
I fairly often have some version of the dream where I pull the trigger, but can't quite get it all the way back, and the gun won't fire.
Same here.