The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
AZBarbarian

New to forum -reloading

Just wanted to say hello. Been shooting my entire adult life. Just getting into reloading.

Got a nice starter setup from a buddy at a fair price (rock chucker, Jr 3, lots of accessories, 30-06, 357 dies). Eventually I plan on loading everything I shoot. Ordered some 300 AAC Blackout dies already.

I was planning on starting with some 38 special loads to get my feet wet. Would you recommend that as a starting point?

I also plan on casting eventually so I am sure I will have some questions (and forum searching to do).
Old January 17, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Go out and buy the Lyman 49th edition of Reloading Handbook and start reading. There is nothing better out there for someone starting to handload.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:28 AM   #3
AZBarbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
Go out and buy the Lyman 49th edition of Reloading Handbook and start reading. There is nothing better out there for someone starting to handload.
Yes I plan on that being my first manual. I am about half way through the ABCs of Reloading now.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Xfire68

AZBarbarian, your on the right track. Far to many people try to jump into reloading without reading a manual first or get hands on instruction from a experienced reloader.

They disregard common sense and then get frustrated when their reloads fail to do what they had hoped.

The ABC's of reloading is a great book and Lyman's 49th is great additional data and info. You will be producing quality ammo in no time.

Starting out with straight walled pistol calibers is a great place to start. Rifle is not all that much more difficult but, does require more steps and work such as case trimming.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

I find using jacketed bullets easier to load than lead or plated. It is hard to over crimp jacketed bullets to the point of making it inaccurate. You don't need to lube the bullet so there is less smoke. It is, in my opinion, the easiest bullet to load in pistol calibers. It won't be the cheapest. When you are getting started focus on getting things right. Later you can change your focus to reducing costs. It also give you a perspective about if the different things you do to lower costs is worth it or not. It might be worth it or not. Hard to tell without something to compare things to. I still have to work on a .38 special load to get what I am looking for. The others I load for I have found at least 2 loads I'm happy with.

You are getting into a very interesting hobby. It seems you are on the right path as well. I wish you well.