The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1
jwrowland77

Scored good!!

Ok, I have a dilemma. I got a couple gift cards from Cabelas and some cash. I have about $400 to play with at Cabelas.

Here's my dilemma. I'd like to speed up my powder charges a but to help speed up my reloading.

Help me choose:

Option 1: buy Hornady AutoCharge and spend rest on components.

Option 2: buy RCBS Chargemaster and that's about it.

Option 3: buy Lee dippers and spend the rest on components.

I know this isn't a great tragedy but I'm really having a hard time deciding.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Xfire68

What reloading press are you using?
Old December 25, 2012, 08:59 PM   #3
jwrowland77

Hornady SS LNL.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I have the Hornady APS it works like it is supposed to. I use it for almost all of my rifle loads. The exception to that is my Trail Boss loads. For those I use dippers. For pistol loads I use a powder measure it is faster, and I use powders that meter well. Mine was gifted to me.

Before I suggest anything I would like to know what press you are using. If it is a Lee Classic Turret with the Pro Auto Disk, and safety prime. I would suggest the powder dispenser if you are loading precision rifle loads. If it is just pistol then spend the money on components.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:09 PM   #5
jwrowland77

I currently use a Hornady single stage LNL. I load both pistol and rifle. I currently weigh every charge by hand, not a big fan of the powder measure I got with the kit I bought. I use Unique, Titegroup, H4895, IMR4350, H335 and plan to use the AutoComp I have on hand.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
hounddawg

do you do a lot of stick powders and load more than 100 rounds using it a month? If so one of the auto dispensers would be my suggestion. I bought a Chargemaster recently but caught it on sale and got a rebate so it came out cheaper than the Hornady
Old December 25, 2012, 09:13 PM   #7
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
do you do a lot of stick powders and load more than 100 rounds using it a month? If so one of the auto dispensers would be my suggestion. I bought a Chargemaster recently but caught it on sale and got a rebate so it came out cheaper than the Hornady
Now there's a thought, maybe I could just be patient and catch the rcbs on sale and rebate. I'd say between my 7mm rem mag and .223, I probably shoot over 100 a month using H4895 and IMR4350.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8
hounddawg

I think that rebate expires Jan 01 JW, might Google it. I had some other RCBS goodies and some Alliant powder that I had bought last spring to add into the total so I made out with a 75 buck rebate. I tell ya what though I had bought a Chargemaster back in 2011 and it was a lemon straight from the box and instead of exchanging it I got a refund. After using my new one for a month now I kicked myself in the butt for not doing a exchange. Makes loading 100 rounds using 4350 a much more pleasant experience

Last edited by hounddawg; December 25, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
jwrowland77

Quote:
I think that rebate expires Jan 01 JW, might Google it. I had some other RCBS goodies and some Alliant powder that I had bought last spring to add into the total so I made out with a 75 buck rebate
Awesome. I'll have to google that right now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:28 PM   #10
jwrowland77

Sweet. Yeah I love IMR4350. My 7mm RM loves it.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:05 PM   #11
grubbylabs

I have never used the any of the auto charge units but I would be very willing to try the Hornady auto charge since I have had nothing but good luck with their stuff. In fact it is on my list of things to buy.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old December 25, 2012, 10:05 PM   #12
jwrowland77

I'm half tempted though to wait around to the beginning of the new year. I'm sure Cabelas will have some more specials going on they always normally do. Plus, I'm wondering if Hornady will have some different promos after the new year.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:07 PM   #13
hounddawg

I bet there will be some good sales around first of year and Hornady has been doing the bullet giveaway for at least two years running now
Old December 25, 2012, 10:10 PM   #14
jwrowland77

Quote:
I bet there will be some good sales around first of year and Hornady has been doing the bullet giveaway for at least two years running now
Sweet. I just got into reloading this past March but that's good to hear. Who knows, I might be able to score good after the new year begins.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:20 PM   #15
jepp2

A lot will depend on what you load and how much you load and what you load it with.

If you are loading a lot of rifle with stick powder you will really want to go to a dispensing measure. And whenever you get one, you will kick yourself why you didn't do it earlier.

I got the RCBS Chargemaster a couple of years ago. Had some heartburn because there were enough bad reviews on it. Mine has been flawless.

But the RCBS Chargemaster isn't tuned for low weight handgun charges.

You can get the RCBS Chargemaster from Cabela's right now for $300 after rebate. And the rebate does end the last day of December.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:06 PM   #16
Jimro

My vote? Hornady AutoCharge and components.

You won't be as fast as the guys running progressives or Lee Turrets, but it will speed up your most time consuming step.

Jimro
Old December 25, 2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Okcafe86

I've enjoyed my hornady auto charge
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old December 25, 2012, 11:57 PM   #18
jwrowland77

I've been a little worried about the Hornady Autocharge. I've been leaning that way because I love Hornady, but anything is better than hand weighing every single charge, and using a single stage, it should definitely speed things up.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:59 PM   #19
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepp2 View Post
A lot will depend on what you load and how much you load and what you load it with.
I load a lot of 9mm and will be loading a lot of .380 and .45 here soon. I also load a lot of .223. My 7mm RM I enjoy shooting but have found a good load and don't shoot it as often as above three.
Old December 26, 2012, 04:26 AM   #20
solocam72

For my rifles with extruded powders, I go the slow route and use my RCBS 10-10 beam scale and pistols with ball type powders I use a redding 3-BR powder measure, the redding works great and is fast and acccurate but as with most any powder measure they don't throw consistent enough for me with extruded type powders
Old December 26, 2012, 04:59 AM   #21
Sport45

If you just want to speed up the process and are okay with a good powder measure I suggest the RCBS Quick Change Powder Measure. Mine throws Universal, Unique, and the stick powders I've tried +/- 0.1 grain. Ball powders measure even better. Changing between the large and small cylinders is a breeze and you can even drain the hopper without dismounting the measure.

If you want every load weighed you can go with the Chargemaster or Autocharge but they are much too slow for reloading pistol ammo IMHO.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:16 PM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

For what you are loading for I would say get the Hornady Auto Charge for the rifle loads. For small pistol loads it is too slow. A good powder measure for pistol loads, with a good metering powder give all the speed one could ask for.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:18 PM   #23
jwrowland77

I may need to switch some stuff up in my powder measure then, like the rotor or something. Had also thought about getting the Hornady Autocharge and the Lee Dippers.

Auto for rifle and Lee for pistol.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:26 PM   #24
m&p45acp10+1

Skip the dippers. Get the Perfect Powder Measure. Place a sheet of paper under the loading are. If it leaks a tad you can pour it back in. Adjustment of it is as simple as turning a scew. Mine even meters Reloader 15, and Varget to +/- 0.1 grains. TiteGroup, H-335, and Bull's Eye meter like water.

Ok mine leaks a tiny wee bit. I put a sheet of paper under it. After 150 throws of Bull's Eye I weighed what came off of the paper. About 3 grains. I still use mine after 3 years. It also meters Trail Boss like water as well.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:27 PM   #25
jwrowland77

Hmmm, I'll have to check into that. Thanks.