The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2011, 08:44 PM   #26
Justice06RR

Quote:
I don't understand.

You have a gun safe, you have a trigger lock. If you intend to use these to prevent someone else gaining access, then what possible features inherant in the gun itself could possibly make it more safe for your daughter or her friends?

I want to be clear, a gun, with ammo, loaded, only has one safety .... The brain of the person holding it
Not if the brain holding it is the child, as the OP mention.

The OP was saying he was concerned since he has a daughter. For example if the OP has the pistol loaded (outside the safe) in a nightstand drawer vs being in the safe with the trigger lock.

We all know how kids can be curious about things. You cannot expect a child to know the safety/dangers of a gun. children will go through your things and find items that they're not supposed to.

In the original question, I suggest Ruger P95 with decocker/safety, SR9, M&P with thumb safety, or a 1911
Old November 1, 2011, 09:31 PM   #27
checkmyswag

Ruger SR9/SR40
Old November 1, 2011, 09:49 PM   #28
Nathan

Springfield XD

Kahr C series
Old November 1, 2011, 10:10 PM   #29
Mikey Idaho

My personal preferences/suggestions would be a S&W M&P9 with thumb safety or a FNH FNX9, amazing pistols and amazingly reliable and easy to use.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:35 PM   #30
Eagleks

A Beretta 9 .... ?? ... about any Beretta is good. But a manual safety is easy to switch off.....leaving one out of the chamber or an easy lock box are safe in terms of your daughter (assuming she's very young).

I wouldn't go a 1911 and think the safety would deter any kid from shooting it, unless again one round is not chambered.

My gr-dau, could rack the slide on most any of my semi's @ 8 yrs old. It's all in technique, not as much muscle.

Another method, keep the mag where she can't get it, and load mag , rack slide, ready to go.

Personally, I use a lock box with a numbered buttons and code that is very quick to open, and it sits right next to my bed & it's a Beretta (so that tells you something). Then, there's the one on me when I"m not in bed.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:42 PM   #31
chuckles

Just about anything H&K. You said fairly priced, not cheap. IMHO, H&Ks are a bargain for the price. Easy to maintain, extremely accurate, and unbelievably reliable. I think just about any one of them will fill whatever niche you have vacant at the moment. The USP Compacts, are an especially good place to start.
Old November 2, 2011, 01:59 AM   #32
CWKahrFan

So Monkzro, OP, 1-poster... Are you there?... Have you read any of these responses?... Can you say something?
Old November 2, 2011, 07:36 AM   #33
Skans

Quote:
I want to be clear, a gun, with ammo, loaded, only has one safety .... The brain of the person holding it
I've got a 7 year old. She's got a brain and a trigger finger. 7-year old brain + trigger finger + loaded gun with one in the chamber can = dead 7 year old. Let's not forget, everyone has different situations. We can't all rely on our own finger-brain being the only safety.
Old November 2, 2011, 12:50 PM   #34
rogelk

The big question is...If someone wants a safety on their handgun, why would someone else take it personally?
Old November 2, 2011, 01:02 PM   #35
WVsig

Quote:
Not if the brain holding it is the child, as the OP mention.

The OP was saying he was concerned since he has a daughter. For example if the OP has the pistol loaded (outside the safe) in a nightstand drawer vs being in the safe with the trigger lock.

We all know how kids can be curious about things. You cannot expect a child to know the safety/dangers of a gun. children will go through your things and find items that they're not supposed to.

In the original question, I suggest Ruger P95 with decocker/safety, SR9, M&P with thumb safety, or a 1911
I completely agree with this statement.

then what possible features inherant in the gun itself could possibly make it more safe for your daughter or her friends

If a child is left unsupervised long enough for it to get a gun out of a night stand and play with it it will pull and tug on whatever it can get its little hands on. A thumb safety is not going to be a huge obstical to making this gun fire IMHO. It might give you the illusion of safety but at best it is going to buy you a little more time before it goes off it is not going to prevent it.

If you are worried about your child getting your defense gun then you need to secure it properly in a quick access safe. The fringer print ones seem to be popular. Keeping it out of the hands of the child is paramount here not does it have this safety or that safety. The safe will protect your child more than a thumb safety will.

Last edited by WVsig; November 2, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old November 2, 2011, 02:52 PM   #36
10mm4ever

Best new pistol around for 300ish is the EZ9. Most dont realize that it's actually the CZ99 with a different name and tactical rail. Every bit the equal of the SIG 226.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:10 PM   #37
CWKahrFan

Still no OP response... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Those Zastava EZ9's have quite a good rep on the net... But they're not too easy to come by right now, so I've heard... Importer/Distributer gap I believe... Video link:

http://www.best9mm.com/reviews/ez9.html
Old November 2, 2011, 03:42 PM   #38
loose_holster_dan

wasn't that the p226 clone that showed up on the first episode of the first season of top shot? i know i immediately hopped onto gunbroker to look for one.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 2, 2011, 04:50 PM   #39
Skans

Quote:
Now just hold on there! A 7 year old in under 6 feet tall. Just keep your loaded gun out of her reach like over her head.
I'd rather just keep it right next to my bed with out a round in the chamber. If I were to have to find a place 6' tall to place it, it would be buried on a closet shelf - take me an hour to find it, just like it takes me to find anything on that shelf!
Old November 2, 2011, 05:36 PM   #40
10mm4ever

The serbian made, Zastava was formerly known as the "CZ99". Which was actually a very good mixture of two excellent pistols, the Walther P88 and SIG 226. Charles Daly also marketed it as the "ZDA" for some time. They're extremely robust, reliable and accurate and the quality is easily on par with SIG. Until recently, Bud's still had them for around 299 I believe. The ONLY problem thus far, is the lack of a serious importer that knows how to aggressively market them.

Last edited by 10mm4ever; November 2, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:34 PM   #41
Hawky

OP wrote: i got a gun safe and trigger lock its not like im gonna just leave it out but u never know.

You damn well better know! There will never be an excuse for leaving a firearm unattended around kids. You get a lock box and use it.
And I vote for a Glock .40. I see them for $350 for police trade-ins with 2 mags.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:16 AM   #42
darkgael

$

Reliable? Well-priced?
Makarov.
Best value for the dollar.
I have shot cases of ammo through mine. Never an FTF.
Pete

Tags
glock , reliable , safe , springfield