The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2009, 04:30 AM   #26
wpcexpert

Hey zahnzieh, that's a novel idea. A little orange jump suit to zip him up in. That'd be great.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 21, 2009, 11:06 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Using a pole or pipe to carry a deer is a miserable deal if you do as shown in old-time pictures. Just tying the feet across the pole means a bunch of side-sway.

Open the deer all the way up the throat. Lay the pipe down into the body cavity and then tie the legs together. Tie the head/horns to the pipe. Result? No swaying at all. Easy for two guys to haul out a pretty big deer, that way.
Old October 21, 2009, 12:34 PM   #28
Daryl

Brent,

I've carried several deer out of rough mountains, but the way y our buddy does it would scare me a bit. The animal appears in too much of a "live" position.

I skin out the lower front legs to the knees, and leave the dew claws attached (break/cut the lower leg bone off, but leave the skin attached to the leg). Then I tie each front leg to the "gambrel" on the opposite back leg using the skin that's still attached to the front leg. The dew claws will keep the knott from slipping loose.

Then lay the animial on it's back, and put one arm between the back legs, the other arm between the front legs, and let the "criss-cross" go behind your head/neck.

Then stand up, and the deer hangs upside-down behind your lower back. You can grab the head/antlers of a deer to keep them from swinging, and hang your rifle from the back legs (which are sticking more or less straight up) using a sling or rope.

You can always hang an orange vest or other visible cloth from the animal if you feel it's needed, but the animal won't be in a position to look like it's alive.

I've never dragged an animal out of the woods, mountains, or desert.

Daryl
Old October 21, 2009, 01:24 PM   #29
davlandrum

Daryl,

If I did it your way trying to carry a mule deer only bad things would happen to me involving one or more of the following:

1) heart attack
2) back injury
3) tipping over and sliding down the mountain on my face with the weight of the deer adding pressure
4) a mountain lion would see a distressed deer and decide to bring it down

I am sure there are other things that could/would happen to me, but that is a quick list off the top of my head....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart