The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2009, 02:15 AM   #26
roy reali

Golden State

The kool-aid deer are located in California.
Old October 14, 2009, 10:27 PM   #27
OttoJara

After shooting a Kool-Aid deer, it is a must to crash through a wall and yell "Oh Ya!!!"

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old October 15, 2009, 12:07 AM   #28
koolminx

You guy's got it all wrong... I got my answer from Peetza and from treefarmer.

Fisherman, I never said anyone should feel compelled to do anything. I simply strongly stated a desire to have a valid reason for baiting which I got from two and a half reliable sources...

Mclure, I am NOT anti baiting, I simply sought an explanation I could live with.

Peetza, your second post wasn't necessary, (If I was CLEAR on the matter I would not have asked the question.......) and I am NOT attacking the baiters whether they're beginners or Masters!
I too (yes the mighty still hunter me) go home with nothing often enough, but I hunt differently than you and maybe that's why. I still think it's cheating, but that's just my opinion... I also never said it was lazy. {it is but I didn't say it... }

People in Florida that have no land larger than a few acres, I feel sorry for you... {How can you hunt in that humidity anyway... }

Art Eatman, If I don't see Bambi I go to where I DO see Bambi, or, I don't get to shoot Bambi... Not so hard to understand. Plus, I've hunted in the treeless deserts of Utah (identical to Texas but not as hot) and bagged my game, It's not hard at all if one is persistent. I've never had a deer wave at me with anything but their tails as they are departing the area when I make a mistake in the field...

That is all. I reckon that some of you would never get a deer were it not for bait, just like some people will never catch a fish without Bait {I fly fish... it's baitless, and that makes me bette than you! Ha! } It's all come down to territorial circumstances. I get it now.

later

K
Old October 15, 2009, 08:11 AM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

koolminx, it's the "go to" that's a problem for many. Some can afford it; some can't. Right now, even hunting guides are wishing there were more go-to folks. What's a non-resident license cost in Utah?

So a guy makes his house/land payment, pays the utilities, feeds and clothes the wife and kids--and by baiting, has some deer meat to eat. Better, maybe, than going to the bank to borrow the $2,000 to get in on a hunt deal. It's certainly not the best hunting there is, but it sure beats store-bought.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:18 AM   #30
ZeroJunk

If I shoot them out the window eating my snap beans is that baiting?
Old October 15, 2009, 10:32 AM   #31
koolminx

Art, I GET IT

I am a military spouse, and I'm a D.A.V. and I'm poor as a coyote ugly hooker... I have GO TO issues even with fishing, I can't go more than a half hour from home to fish which really get's on my nerves, but I'll not resort to Snagging them just to have food on the table.
I don't have the $ or time to go hunting out on the peninsula or in the mountains for more than a short weekend. So I rarely get my game I'm hunting...

I've never spent $ on a hunt with a guide, but, as young man I did guide work in Utah for Cougar, Bear and Elk. Never used bait but did put a LOT of work in spotting in the off season, but you don't go cougar or bear hunting for food. Ever, that's a portion of the hunt that's simply a sport, in that state.

I never overtly badmouthed baiters , but I in my own opinion (and this is where I am going to get in trouble) cannot consider hunting with bait a skill.

I see no hunting skills being employed other than standing still... It's like tree hunters back east. I've walked directly in front of hundreds of them without being spotted when hunting Maryland... Why do they sit in a tree? ?? I have no clue... I tried it with a friend for about a hour... That was the stupidest feeling I ever had... I'm GLAD that there are people that do it because that leaves me more room to hunt without having to duck under some dude's rifle barrel...

I'm NOT a hater. I just had my curiosities about baiting... Which have been answered very thoroughly for the most part.

Now come at me about my dislike for tree sitters he he he... This thread is fun!
Old October 15, 2009, 10:38 AM   #32
koolminx

P.S. I haven't been to Utah since 1987 hunting and forgot what the Non Res tag's cost...
Old October 15, 2009, 10:56 AM   #33
Rigby1962

Why do I sit in a tree because on the ground I’m lucky if I can see 30 yds in the tree I can see close to a 100yds. Its the same reason most easterners use slug guns and 45/70 we dont have many 500 yd shots. It also helps you from not being see and to get your sent above their noses. While you cant understand it there are reasons hunting has developed the way it has. You said there is no skill involved and you felt stupid well I think its because you haven’t developed patience. Now try sitting in that tree from hours while trying not to freeze to death.
Old October 15, 2009, 11:11 AM   #34
koolminx

Quote:
You said there is no skill involved and you felt stupid well I think its because you haven’t developed patience. Now try sitting in that tree from hours while trying not to freeze to death.
I KNOW it's hard to not Freeze while in a tree stand! I also understand hunting in Brush and thick forests. It takes patience and cunning... {no lingual skills necessary}

I did feel dumb, and I know it is easier to see Etc. I've been to those woods and hunted those forests.

Being ex military and a military spouse takes me many places that's why I have so many hunts in other states without having to use a guide or an outfitter service. They run into the thousands of dollars which I've never had...

I wish you all a big bag of game this year and henceforth.

Maybe I'll try baiting... If it's legal in my state...
Old October 15, 2009, 11:42 AM   #35
ZeroJunk

I can sneak up on the edge of a bean field and shoot a deer standing out in it without using a stand. I must be a great hunter.
Old October 15, 2009, 01:46 PM   #36
koolminx

Zero, you are my new hero! I can't sneak like that!

I'm like a puma... I'm a stalker...
Old October 15, 2009, 01:50 PM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And the last mention of experience with Kool-Aid as an attractant or cover scent occurred how many post back?

wee bit o' thread veer?
Brent
Old October 15, 2009, 02:42 PM   #38
ZeroJunk

Looked like it went to baiting in general on post number four to me.
Old October 15, 2009, 02:46 PM   #39
oneounceload

Quote:
Its the same reason most easterners use slug guns and 45/70 we dont have many 500 yd shots.

hmmmmm, maybe someone should tell Kenny Jarret that about his "bean field" rifles....

While I grew up in the East, and have now returned, I never hunted until I lived out West, where many weekends were spent driving hours to the area you hoped you would draw a tag for looking for deer. There weren't any trees to hunt from, but there were mountains where you could glass canyons, watch springs and seeps for track, maybe see some coming from an isolated alfalfa farm. In NV, if you were caught baiting, you were going to jail and losing your truck, gun and everything else, so I wouldn't know if kool-aid would work or not (how's THAT for topic re-veering, Brent ).

I was always told by the old timers that a proper hunt involved LOTS of walking, glassing, and really knowing the wind. While I realize here in the East, and especially the South, things are different, I don't know that I could sit in a stand watching a food plot I spent $$$$$ and time on just to get a deer. Frankly, I prefer moose, elk or antelope over venison anyway.

To each their own - as long as it is legal, responsible and ethical, then go for it
Old October 15, 2009, 03:19 PM   #40
PRONE2

LOL

Nice call ZeroJunk It was baiting and waiting from behind a MAC/PC screen blind!
Old October 16, 2009, 12:34 PM   #41
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, koolminx, cougar's some of the tastiest meat there is! A bunch of us had some barbecue from a 60-pounder, a half-grown. Scrumptious! I can't run with the dogs, but I can hang a rag soaked in bacon grease on my south pasture fence and sit around and wait.

Our mule deer population down here in the desert is sparse; maybe four to the section. I've tried baits as attractants, just to check for movement. I've tried corn, calf manna, game blocks, salt blocks and alfalfa hay. All I get are javelina and feral cattle. No deer tracks around the dinner table. Damfino.

Might's well try Kool-Aid. Or apples, but then again, what would a mule deer know about apples?
Old October 16, 2009, 12:35 PM   #42
Yellowfin

How are javelina for table fare?
Old October 16, 2009, 12:58 PM   #43
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I like to slow-barbecue the hams. Gotta make an effort to keep the meat from drying; like all game animals, the meat is very lean. But, doable. The meat has a delicate and unique flavor to it. Done right, it's definitely Good Eating.
Old October 16, 2009, 01:33 PM   #44
mapsjanhere

I got deer in my yard all year, and 2 h to the next legal hunting ground . The buggers just know the map and it shows "federal wilderness area" right next to "city limits". Makes me wonder if I can get away with hitting one with a baseball bat in self defense.