The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 22, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
landcruzr

setting up my tactical carbine.....

I have also posted this thread in another catagory on this Forum- but thought I might also get nice input from you guys as well...

I'm waiting for my Stag Ar to come in- and am now trying to plan out accessories- I would love some assistance on the following:
I would like to put a 3x-9xAO x ?? scope on the top of the rifle, and an Aimpoint or Eotech to the right side of the scope for CQ drills- has anyone played with this set up- where did you get your rails, what type did you use, how did it feel to "canter" the weapon to utilize the CQ site-PICS of your set ups would be an AMAZING help- since I learn alot from looking- OR tell me this is a FOOLISH idea and you tried it and it sucks or something like that...
Thanks in advance
Landcruzr
Old March 24, 2009, 10:29 PM   #2
lmccrock

Ok, competition forum so you get that slant here. 2 optics puts you in "Open" division at most competitions -- if they allow it. I use a single optic myself, but angled mounts exist for the the scope mount, and it is possible to mount a short rail to some fore ends. Usually a smaller sight like a Docter is used rather than bigger like an EOTech. An option is to use a similar mount but put iron sights on it.

Good luck.

Lee
Old March 24, 2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Mr Odd Six

3x9 is too big for a carbine, you will run out of bullet before your run out of scope. Try an Eotech 552 with 4x flip out scope.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:41 PM   #4
TINCUP AL

Larue tactical make very good mounts. They also have several different sight packages that you may want to look at. As a side note, 2 optics on the carbine will definately put you in open class. Good luck.
Old March 26, 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
kraigwy

What are you talking about when you say Tactical???

I have two ARs, one set up for high power and one set up for Practical type shooting (3 gun, Multi Gun).

My "practical" gun is nothing more then a stock SP1, no scope, and is good for up to 400 yards.

Of course my White Oak Service Rifle is good for a bit better then that and it also has iron sights.

When it comes to Practical shooting, I'm of the KISS crowd. Less crap you put on, the less crap that will screw up on you.

You cannot Gimic your way to good scores. I'd vote for putting the gimic money in rounds down range.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 26, 2009, 01:54 PM   #6
shooterer

Old School

We don't need no stinken glass.... (for less then 600 yards)

Call Stag, change your order to a A2 upper and shoot with iron sight.

Just my opinion.
Jim
(HP shooter)
Old March 26, 2009, 05:14 PM   #7
lmccrock

Quote:
We don't need no stinken glass.... (for less then 600 yards)
Some of the best 3-gun shooters I know shoot iron sights. Unfortunately, some of us do not have eyeballs conducive to focusing on the front sight. And the highpower setup of reduced aperture and narrow front sight aid in HP, but are slow for 3-gun, especially in the odd positions we shoot from sometimes. So, a low power optic is very helpful. And the dual-optic arrangement works for others.

The Dovetail Angle Mount is an example of what I was thinking about. And here is the Larue example but it requires a Docter or J-point. And the Matt Burkett offset mount.

Lee
Old March 26, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
shooterer

Look Mom, no batteries

Lee,
You are right, optics are better for "run n gun" (which I enjoy when I get the chance). I have found that since I started shooting Highpower a few years ago I have taken most of the scope off my other rifles and use the iron sights. (Really, I had to sell them to fund my HP addiction)

Jim
Old April 3, 2009, 12:25 AM   #9
landcruzr

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=348958

The link above shows the optic and red dot set up I'm interested in- if you play the first video- the first rifle is the system I would like info on
Thanks
Old April 3, 2009, 07:18 AM   #10
lmccrock

Looks like a tube scope (pick your favorite) and a JP Rifles handguard with a rail segment attached and some kind of dot on the rail. Based on that and his handgun, this is an "open" division shooter.

I just poked around the video host site for you. The rifle in the video is detailed here. Nothing really wrong with what he is doing, except it is an open rifle, and his personal preferences abound (like, a long stock). The 18" barrel is common in 3-gun - great compromise between rifle and carbine - better handling than a 20" with comp and more velocity than 16". I would have an 18" barrel with a JP handguard if I did it over again.

Spend well.

Lee