The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 23, 2005, 01:41 PM   #1
leadcounsel

Woman defends herself with gun from serial burglary/rapist in Colorado

AURORA - A serial rapist may have tried to strike again, but a woman shot at her would-be assailant before he could attack her.

The incident happened around 9 p.m. Tuesday, in an apartment building near Dayton and Parker Road. It's the same neighborhood that a serial rapist has terrorized.

The woman says she heard her blinds rustling in her living room and got a gun. She sat up in bed with the gun, and when the man entered her bedroom, she shot at him. She missed, but the blast was enough to make the man take flight.

The serial rapist is described as a black man, standing 6 feet to 6 feet 3 inches, and weighing about 200 pounds. The man also is said to have a distinctive scar on his nose.

The series of rapes have been linked by the man's DNA and description.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Aurora or Denver police, or the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department.
Old September 23, 2005, 01:54 PM   #2
payne

It really is a shame she missed him.
Old September 23, 2005, 03:24 PM   #3
azspyder

I'm glad it turned out well, but the lady could use some practice, couldn't she?
Old September 23, 2005, 03:45 PM   #4
Garand Illusion

The Story

LOVE to see this kind of story.

SURE wish this story was headlined "Armed Woman Kills Serial Rapist," but I guess this is the next best thing.

If only more women were as smart as this one.

As a large male not yet too badly out of shape, I don't worry about keeping a handgun available at all times, though I do often carry.

But if I were a woman ... I'd never be out of reach of something that would help equal the situation. And a woman can pretty much shoot in any endangering situation -- that a man my size couldn't -- and have no charges fired because of the strength difference.
Old September 23, 2005, 04:01 PM   #5
res1b3uq

woman shooting

Usually if a woman points a gun at you, your as good as dead. I am wondering if the miss might have been intentional.
Old September 23, 2005, 08:14 PM   #6
gddyup

Maybe she should invest in a tactical light for low-light conditions.....

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old September 23, 2005, 10:14 PM   #7
hkOrion

two words...

night sights. Get this woman some glow-in-the-dark sights so next time we don't waste the 30-40 detectives that are going door to door telling the women in the area that there is a serial rapist running around. or the money spent on fliers, or the money spent on additional patrols.

that, and i betcha the cops aren't telling the women about where to pick up guns... maybe we should call the local gun shops and they could run a "get your gun, shoot a rapist" sale. The woman who bags him gets her money back or a free long gun
You got a badge for that gun?