The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2002, 04:26 AM   #1
notbubba

How is your HD shotgun stored?

How do you have your HD shotgun set up?

Is it under the bed, or in the closet or someplace else?

Loaded or unloaded?

Bird or buckshot?

What gauge?

I'm just wondering what kind of set ya'll have, I use my carry handgun as my HD gun, but I know alot of people use thier shotgun.
Old November 27, 2002, 05:17 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I don't discuss where mine is kept in a public forum, and suggest others don't also.

870, no choke, kept Cruiser Ready,12 gauge, bird and buck with slugs nearby.

There's a few gigs of stuff on this in the Archives.....
Old November 27, 2002, 09:55 AM   #3
lockandrock
Registration in progress

I keep mine in a el cheapo bagmaster SG softcase, with a gun cloth wrapped around the receiver (high humidity , rust protection). I sometimes use a rifle sock.

The 870s HD pump is loaded full magazine only , action close, safety off. ready to go or crusier mode. All others are empty, in gun cases that are lock

12ga
00B
Old November 27, 2002, 11:20 AM   #4
Airwolf

Mossberg 590A1 propped up in the corner of the bedroom on my side of the bed. Saftey on, chamber closed and empty. 8 rounds of Federal Tactical 00 buck in the mag, 3 spare rounds in the sidesaddle + 3 slugs, 4 more 00 buck in the Speedfeed.
On Sepember 13, 2004 "Free America" became a bit more free with the sunset of the AWB. On that same day California banned the .50BMG. The nation looks to California as a "trend setter". Ignore what happened here at your own peril.

California: The New And Improved CCCP
Old November 27, 2002, 04:18 PM   #5
S&W 24

20" 870 in condition 3 in locker with 2 rnds #6 in the mag the rest in the weapon #4 buck low recoil with copper solids in the speed feed stock and a mix of buck and slug in the side sadle.
Old November 27, 2002, 05:08 PM   #6
HS/LD

Winchester1300 Defender
No choke.

Beside the bed (also beside a condition 1 handgun).

Chamber empty
Magazine loaded:
5 x Winxhester 2 3/4" Magnum 12 pellet 00 Buck shot
2 x Winchester 2 3/4" 1 oz hollow point rifled slugs
Side Saddle 3 more 00 and 3 more slugs.

HS/LD
Old November 27, 2002, 07:03 PM   #7
Hkmp5sd

870, chamber empty, tube full, side saddle full hanging on gun rack on wall beside bed.

NRA Life Member
Old November 27, 2002, 07:39 PM   #8
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

11-87, cruiser ready, Fed. Tact. 00
Old November 27, 2002, 07:48 PM   #9
KSFreeman

870, 12 ga., mine like Fed Tac #4 buck, all guns are always loaded but keep mine loaded, (no kids for me, thank you), don't like Hollywood "shuck-shucking", sound being a target indicator and all, but they may not hear the Foley sounds over my whimpering.
Old November 28, 2002, 07:00 PM   #10
gordo b.

Hammers back with monofiliment to triggers muzzle pointed to locked closet door with big warning sign saying "danger loaded Gun inside". Burried 2 burglars with back hoe in last 5 years. Just kidding of course :Happy Thanksgiving!
Old November 28, 2002, 10:53 PM   #11
dfaugh

Condition 3

in closet, 2 steps from the bed....3" magnum 00 buck installed

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old November 29, 2002, 08:14 PM   #12
CWL

I have decided against using a SG for HD purposes. My shotties are in the safe in another room (although one has a buttcuff with buck & slugs ready to go).

I am another one of those who have made the decision to use a handgun (+flashlight) as primary HD weapon. I think that my .45ACP, while no where near a lethal as a SG, is enough for potential threats to 'me and mine' in the middle of the night.

I am also better trained with pistol & carbine than I am with a 12ga.
Old December 4, 2002, 01:40 AM   #13
Hardtarget

I keep a Win. 1300 handy. Mag tube full with "OO". There is also a .45...just can't leave the pistols out of the mix.
Mark.
Old December 4, 2002, 07:44 AM   #14
Cody

Win 1300 Defender with #4 Birdshot loaded up in the tube with chamber empty in the corner of the bedroom. Oh, cannot forget to mention my Ridgebacks thrown in the mix
Old December 4, 2002, 05:11 PM   #15
Jato

M870 Express. 18 inch, 12 gauge, chamber empty, hammer down, 4 round of 2 3/4" 00-buck in the magazine tube. 5 rounds of 00-buck in the stock sleeve.

My wife also uses it for HD, so I have it loaded with the reduced recoil "tactical" 00 rounds. I prefer the full power stuff.
Old December 4, 2002, 11:55 PM   #16
jroth

Win97, empty with double 0 buck in stock cuff, racking a shell in is the only warning given
Old December 5, 2002, 02:12 AM   #17
V-fib

Mossberg 500 12ga 18" bbl under the bed with a towel over it. Light field loads in the sidesaddle and 00 buck in the buttstock carrier.
Old December 6, 2002, 11:20 AM   #18
cslinger

I keep my 870 Marine Magnum secured to a chair in front of the front door hooked up to a weight and pully system so that when the door opens bang..............I figure there can't be too much liability in that.

Actually mine is stored cruiser ready. Federal 00 Buck Reduced Recoil. Currently I don't have anybody else in the house besides myself and the wife so I am not too worry about penetration into another room. Exterior penetration should drop enough energy that by the time the pellets come into contact with the next closest house, I doubt they would penetrate the siding. Once we have kids or others in the house, I will probably go with a birdshot with the OO as the last couple rounds or on a side saddle.

I'm with Dave on telling people it's location. You can either marry into the family or have it's location be the last thing you ever learn.

I am more of a peek out of the door with a .45 and if need be retreat to the shotgun kinda guy myself. I feel the handgun gives me better retention in the close quarters of the house. I have practiced moving through the house with the SG, but in my case it serves me better as a defensive or backup gun. That being said I am not going to do a house search if I am reasonbly sure there is an intruder. They can come to me and the shotgun.

Chris
Old December 6, 2002, 10:05 PM   #19
iamkris

My Mossy 500...

is in a Mossberg Loc-Box (hung vertically, keyed lock over receiver, rubber coated post down barrel), action open, in my closet. 5 000 buck rounds in the tube. 4 more 000 buck rounds in the sidesaddle (brass up) along with 2 slugs (brass down). 1911 with 2 full mags in a quick accss lock box next to it.

Lots of kids (3 under 5) in my house and all the guns are secure from little hands.

I want the goblin to hear me racking the action. I prefer it to run...not going to shoot unless last resort as I'm defending my family. No qualms about doing that though. Just have to pay to get the rugs cleaned.
Ultima Ratio Civis - the last method of a citizen
Old December 6, 2002, 10:28 PM   #20
Chris W

Okay, non-LEO, non-literate question here: what is 'cruiser mode'/'cruiser ready'? I'm guessing it's empty chamber, full mag, perhaps specifically safety off, perhaps safety neutral. Who can tell me, or is this one of those slippery terms that will end up having user-specific content?

cw
Old December 7, 2002, 01:47 AM   #21
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Cruiser ready..

Chris, that term refers having a pump SG with the magazine loaded, chamber empty, hammer cocked. The idea is that the average person does not know how to hit the bolt release to cycle the action. Not a bad idea, IMHO, but not an excuse for poor firearm storage.
Old December 7, 2002, 11:36 AM   #22
Chris W

Okay, that makes a little sense. I'm not thinking the average person is going to take a long time to figure it out--so, as you say, it's not like a substitute for a lock or anything--but something to buy you 3 or 5 seconds if it gets in the wrong hands. Thanks, Giz

Chris
Old December 7, 2002, 12:16 PM   #23
BigG

SxS 20" 12 bore, behin' de do'. Birdshot.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 8, 2002, 12:52 AM   #24
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but-

Enter and see! It's where I can get to it!
(Laughing Loudly)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old December 8, 2002, 02:01 AM   #25
XavierBreath

Mossberg 500, 18.5 inch barrel, 00 Buck, 5 in magazine, 6 more in sidesaddle. It's kept real handy.